Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Blackguards E3 Gameplay Preview at GameSpot

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Blackguards; Daedalic Entertainment

A representative from GameSpot sat down with two developers from Daedalic Entertainment at E3 this week, for a half hour gameplay demonstration of their upcoming turn-based tactical RPG, Blackguards. The demonstration shows the beginning of the game, in which the titular characters break out of a prison. It should give you a pretty good idea of what type of game this is going to be.

Those of you who don't have time might want to check out this short combat demo instead.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally we're getting some new info about the game. Looks damn nice so far.
I heard you're gonna be forced to be played as bad guys this time around. Looks like it'll be more story focused, too. Could be very neat.

Also that Kai dude looks baked.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I heard you're gonna be forced to be played as bad guys this time around. Looks like it'll be more story focused, too. Could be very neat.

It seems the main character is wrongfully imprisoned, so I'm not sure he's bad.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The rest of the cast are supposed to be a bunch of bastards, so we'll see. Of course, so far it seems more like a SRPG FFT-style than a traditional RPG - we might not actual get to make any meaningful choices (although not necessarily, see Tactics Ogre).

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's pretty obvious the MC is some kind of nut and that wolf who killed the girl was actually him. Or it was some mind control spell or whatever.

Anyway, the combat looks kinda slow atm, and the UI is also kinda chunky (Having to open up a menu just to select attack? Really?)
But they'll probably improve on that until release.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

It's pretty obvious the MC is some kind of nut and that wolf who killed the girl was actually him. Or it was some mind control spell or whatever.

Anyway, the combat looks kinda slow atm, and the UI is also kinda chunky (Having to open up a menu just to select attack? Really?)
But they'll probably improve on that until release.

Yeah you can tell they haven't designed an RPG before. Let's hope they read the Codex!

Indranys

Savant
I like what I see so far.
The breakable chests and barriers are cool.
If the game is formatted like Tactics games/Japanese SRPGs which features only combat with no explorable cities and dungeons I'll be real sad. :(
Though I'll still play the game if the combat is good enough.
This game needs lively towns and massive dungeons yes?
For now Chaos Chronicles is still the champion in my list, but if Daedalic uses RoA traveling system and implements it properly things could change drastically indeed.

deuxhero

Arcane
I find it silly they can't tell the difference between an axe blow or being eaten, but I guess that ties in with the "doubt your own version of events".

Are the maps all flat, or is their height difference in latter fights?

How customizable are the characters? They mentioned the system it's based on doesn't use classes anymore, so are fighter/mage/hunter just starting packages?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Looks decent enough.

Actually it's not very surprising that you play with "bad guys" in this game, considering the protagonist of Deponia is an insufferable asshole.

Bulba

Learned
looks good. Hopefully you can do some serious evil in the game

Modron

Arcane
I could live without an actual town to explore if their static town screens were replete with things to do (ala Darklands), train, shop, text adventures utilizing non-combat skill checks, and so forth. I mean even the most fun console SRPGs were the ones with lots of non-combat stuff to do like the FFTs and Ogre Battles.

deuxhero

Arcane
I could live without an actual town to explore if their static town screens were replete with things to do (ala Darklands), train, shop, text adventures utilizing non-combat skill checks, and so forth. I mean even the most fun console SRPGs were the ones with lots of non-combat stuff to do like the FFTs and Ogre Battles.

What non-combat stuff did FFT have? OB had the whole liberation thing and looking for hidden stuff, but I can't think of anything in FFT that wasn't related to combat beyond dispatches (which were pretty minor) and rumors.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Turn-based tactical combat simulator with stats and plot does not equal an RPG in my book. Adding some exploration would be a large step towards becoming a real RPG, but I don't really see that as possible at the moment.

Could (and I hope it will) still be a good game, of course. I'm just reluctant at throwing the RPG brand around, as it has been abused enough in recent years.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't have time to answer that in full, but for example, ability to explore the game world is a must for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom