Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Blackguards Preview at the Yogscast

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Blackguards; Daedalic Entertainment

The famous Yogscast YouTube channel has an exclusive preview of Daedalic's upcoming tactical RPG, Blackguards. There's lots to see here, but be warned, the host is British and very annoying.

I must say, the game is looking much more polished since the last time we saw it back in June. Could Blackguards be a hidden gem that surprises the Codex with its quality? Only time (or a broken NDA) will tell.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That will be an interesting comparison to D:OS although right now, the D:OS is way, way ahead for me.

Blackguard has a XCOM movement/combat system that I pretty much loathe (there goes the "stronger spells/mightier blows need more APs" mechanics potential), the writing has the typical "does the job done but don't expect any added value" German feel and personally I don't care about the art style at all. Also I'm not entirelly sure how the hinted Dragon Age style "battle maps" will pan out.

All in all, I'm keeping an open mind, just not so much my brain falls out.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks just as bad as I imagine it to be.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh Sawyer would approve of that simplified character creation. Sex, class, choice of pre-set appearance, and you're off.

The radial menu is shit as all radial menus are. Don't like the camera either. The placement of the hotkeys is odd and too far away from the portraits.

All those low quality cinematics are a waste of time and money. It looks like it'll be pretty annoying if they appear that frequently throughout the remaining 40 hours.

I know it's a tutorial but those fights were pretty boring with token efforts at mixing things up with environmental gimmicks. Feel like we might end up with Dark Messiah syndrome where using the gimmicks is so optimal it's practically mandatory.

Those who are doing Blackguards Beta, give feedback to daedalic to have a skillbar. So that I can drag and drop shit on it. Not go through 200 clicks for a routine Attack every time.

Did you watch the video at all?

InspectorRumpole

yeah, My perception failed, Quick sltos on top, cna drag and drop

In any case, they might want to make it a bit more opaque, kinda blends in the background

Kem0sabe

Arcane
To be honest, it doesn't look like anything special, and the dialog, writing and voice acting... Staring at the girls mangled bloody and half devoured corpse: "princess, whats going on" "whats happening to me"... seriously, is this the best Daedalic can do after their previous Dark Eye games?

A couple of other niggles, i hope bloom is a toggle, it's reaching Oblivion levels of silliness in the video, the radial UI is not my favorite thing, should have been an action bar, the encounters and the way the story moves forward look very underwhelming for an RPG.

Overall, the impression i get is that his will be considerably worse than either Drakensang or River of Time, and thats an achievement unto itself.

Athelas

Arcane
Why was that wolf eating out her pussy?

And why is he even arrested? Bite marks on her body + nearby wolf corpse should at least provoke some reaction, even if the empire is corrupt.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Here in Daedalic we like to make stories... Yep, it was totally possible to see that... :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why was that wolf eating out her pussy?

And why is he even arrested? Bite marks on her body + nearby wolf corpse should at least provoke some reaction, even if the empire is corrupt.

It's heavily implied that the "wolf" doesn't actually exist.

Indranys

Savant
Damn this cutscene-battle-cutscene faggotry! :mad:
I hope we can go back to the previous town for the supplies and things, there's no way they make this RPG to be a super linear experience like their adventure games right??
C'mon even FFT and those Disgaea Nippon Ichi shits have secrets and optional places.

Seeing the vid makes me want to play Chaos Chronicles so goddamn bad. :cry:
Yeah I know bros but still...

:negative:

And why in the nine hells Troika made Hommlet so unbearable??!!!11 The place always kills my excitement so rapidly it's not even funny.
I'm still hoping for a decent ToEE clone/spiritual successor guys. After we get those new and shinny blobbers I hope the devs will start to make a few isometric party based TB CRPG with proper explorable places like towns and dungeons!!
Damn you coreplay! Damn ya! But still you guys are bros nonetheless.

Borelli

Arcane
So the game doesn't have parts where you can freely move and look around? Just battle after battle intersected by cutscenes? Not sure if i like that, i need those things for my immersion, however if the combat turns out to be good i can forgive them.

majestik12

Arcane
The writing is meh, but the combat system and interactive environment elements look pretty interesting. Judging by the number of options in the radial menu and the number of quick slots, there will be a quite a lot of actions to choose during combat. I am interested.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The writing is meh, but the combat system and interactive environment elements look pretty interesting. Judging by the number of options in the radial menu and the number of quick slots, there will be a quite a lot of actions to choose during combat. I am interested.

You are not mondblut. :rpgcodex:

EDIT: :roll:

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wait, what the fuck is going on now? I was sure that post was made by mondblut. I mean, I'm sure I saw his name, not majestick12 and was surprised, considering his initial thoughts on the game. I must be going insane. :hmmm:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That will be an interesting comparison to D:OS although right now, the D:OS is way, way ahead for me.

Blackguard has a XCOM movement/combat system that I pretty much loathe (there goes the "stronger spells/mightier blows need more APs" mechanics potential), the writing has the typical "does the job done but don't expect any added value" German feel and personally I don't care about the art style at all. Also I'm not entirelly sure how the hinted Dragon Age style "battle maps" will pan out.

All in all, I'm keeping an open mind, just not so much my brain falls out.

Neh. In my head I can just say its because of the translation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom