Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Blackguards Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Blackguards; Daedalic Entertainment

The next release in the January of Incline is Daedalic Entertainment's Blackguards. This news comes two days earlier than expected, which may or may not have something to do with the game's final build having been leaked to Torrent sites.

When Blackguards was originally announced back in March, the Codex didn't know what to think of it. A tactical turn-based RPG made by a German adventure game developer who'd never made an RPG before? Many dismissed it immediately as "Euro shovelware" - yet another in a long list of underwhelming titles based on The Dark Eye pen-and-paper roleplaying game. The fact that it sported disturbingly "bloomy" 3D graphics didn't help either. That state of affairs continued, until Daedalic made the wise decision of inviting fans to participate in the game's beta test. Two intrepid Codex agents, felipepepe and Darth Roxor, took part in this beta test, and whispers of Massive Incline began reaching our ears. Those whispers turned into a chorus when the two were finally allowed to write about their experiences after the game was released on Steam Early Access in November.

Yes, Blackguards is definitely no shovelware. Daedalic have produced a tactical combat classic which will be remembered as the best game of its kind since Knights of the Chalice. You can get it on Steam and GOG now for $40 and $45 respectively, with a 10% discount until next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
hmm, wait 4 hours until release or pirate and transfer saves later....

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With Crooked Bee's permission, I have updated the OP. :M (why don't they have a proper launch trailer?)

CWagner

Augur
Anyone else having Steam not update the game to the final version? I'm done working in ~50 minutes, will I really have to pirate to play it?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Just played for a good 1 1/2 hours straight, no crashes for me with the patched up Early Access version *fingers crossed* hopefully it stays that way.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Why mage cant learn some spells during generation?

No explanation, just lock on them.

Will this spells be available at lvl ups? Or only from NPCs who join (witches etc)?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Playing this game for the first time. Loving it so far.

Why mage cant learn some spells during generation?

No explanation, just lock on them.

Will this spells be available at lvl ups? Or only from NPCs who join (witches etc)?

At character creation you are locked at 14 for attributes, 8 for talents and a range of spells and special abilities are unavailable to you. These can/will become available throughout the game.

Mortmal

Arcane
I cant say its pricey , i stated playing after dinner and now 3H30 am , stopping just cause i am too tired . Thats rarely happens anymore with games , even less with rpgs. This is a truly excellent tactical rpg, although with an obscure documentation. Mainstream reviews are rather poor unsurprisingly , like 14/20 http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00019287-blackguards-test.htm#infos , really unfair and harsh , but then again they dont have the marketing budget of skyrim . For a rpg fan , not fearing challenging fights its rather a 18/20 .
Story so far is good , truly a good surprise for 2014 . No its not pricey years ago, before steam , discounts and russian prices, we would have paid the full price for something like this.

Tigranes

Arcane
I actually am beginning to think it's too long, but that's probably because I restarted. Definitely seems to be a one-playthrough game given the triviality of the CYOAs, the limited character system and the boring story. Still, for that 'one playthrough' amount of time it's very enjoyable, and on Hard quite challenging.

Apexeon

Arcane
Looking for the credits to see how many people took to make it.
Can't find any at the moment.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Definitely on near the top of my must buy games list, but I am so low on $ now that i'll have to wait. :(

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Did anybody find out how to remove traps? Tutorial said "click on it like an interactive object", but you cand "Use" it and if you click on the hex, you character just waltzes into it.

skyst

Augur
Did anybody find out how to remove traps? Tutorial said "click on it like an interactive object", but you cand "Use" it and if you click on the hex, you character just waltzes into it.

Move a character with the trap skill into the adjacent hex and mouse over the trap until the hex is orange or the trap is highlighted, similarly to how you would target an enemy. You don't have to use a skill or anything, but yeah, sometimes the game is dumb and lets you move onto the trap despite having uncovered it and possessing the skill to disarm it. Unfortunately, you seem unable to reclaim traps set against you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom