Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter BLACKROOM, an oldschool FPS from John Romero and Adrian Carmack - Kickstarter cancelled!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Cyberarmy, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Well shit, if only Tom Hall would join up I could get interested. Right now I just feel pity for another old-fag effort trying to re-live the good ol' times.

^ Top  
  2. Venser Liturgist

Venser
    Adrian Carmack on board? Shit just got real. I'm a cynical motherfucker and I always expect shit but I'm gonna make an exception and allow myself to be hyped for once.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    ^ Top  
  3. United Nations Legion

United Nations
    John Romero is a pimp.

He was tapping that Stevie Case.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. United Nations Legion

United Nations
    He should go back to hitting that Playboy ass.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. toro Arcane

toro

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This thread seems to be hard for people to find.

^ Top  
  7. United Nations Legion

United Nations
    This shit is whack.

I want to see two girls with a double-ended dildo smacking butts when somebody films John Romero.

^ Top  
  8. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    Guys, let's appreciate what Romero is going through to get the funds for this. The man deserves our support.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  9. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Pretty cool, if this game doesn't have a version for PS 4 and Xbox One at launch, it will be a much better shooter than all the garbage on the consoles even if it ends being mediocre if compared with Doom.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. shihonage You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Game now guaranteed to be shit.

^ Top  
  11. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

^ Top  
  12. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    Did anyone ever actually play Daikatana? And if yes, did you get past the swamp levels where the game begins in?

I'm thinking of trying it out some time.

^ Top  
  13. Why, yes, I finished it last year. Campaign is... ok. There were some great moments in later parts of the 2nd episode and pretty much whole 3rd episode is oozing with romero kind of style. Overall, yeah, it's still unbaked game and clearly demands a couple of years of hard working, but still... that's what we got anyway.

If you plan to do it someday go grab 1.3 fan patch. It makes it less painfull, also has an option for turning off those pesky sidekicks so you can actually travel all by yourself. I'd say that 1.3 patch has its own little problems... like when your sidekicks cannot die by any means, even if you left them under heavy fire. It makes it less punishing and annoying, but at the same time almost completely removes any challenge. At least, that's what I came across during my playthrough.

And after that try playing deathmatch, it's really fun and sometimes gets furiosly fast.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. sexbad? Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Codex USB, 2014
    I have been streaming it occasionally, and so far I've completed the first episode. It is easily one of the worst things I've ever played. Just absolutely fucking horrendous, so I'm looking forward to playing the rest of it soon.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Finished it a long time ago, played deathmatch for years. Addicting stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I know this is cheesy as shit, but it sent shivers down my spine. Let's see what old Romero can cook up for the PC after all these years.

^ Top  
  17. Utgard-Loki Arcane

Utgard-Loki
    you ain't seen nothing yet, my friend.

:(

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Daikatana sucked by the average quality of First Person Shooters in its time. Relative to modern cinematic popamole shooters for consoletards, it's a masterpiece.

Who knows, maybe Romero will pull a reverse Spector/Molyneux and deliver something better after all these years.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Romero was never a Spector/Molyneux. Daikatana (which i personally think is shit by ANY standard) ruined him and that was it for him. Totally different situation.

What i'm hoping from this game:

1) Traditional gameplay and level design, which is a given.

2) Serious art style and atmosphere. Enough of this indie shit.

I'm not pretending something as near perfect as Doom was, but it can't be that hard to make a decent game in the same vein.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. sexbad? Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Codex USB, 2014
    Fuck no. I would take any contemporary FPS over that shit. There's no current-day experience that comes close to crawling through a sewer full of robot dragonflies and frogs that you have to kill with a weak ass laggy bouncing projectile gun and a sticky bomb launcher that doesn't even have a detonate button.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Daikatana is shit. It is a constant of shit, smt. like an absolute zero or the speed of light. Time or context does not change it at all. I would prefer even DNF over it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. :roll: Actually, it has a detonate button (just touch '3' again)

And "a weak ass laggy bouncing projectile gun" can do tons of damage if you use it the right way (the more that projectile reflects off the walls and obstacles the more damage it brings, so it's kind of a death sentence weapon in closed spaces).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    We need a Daikatana match to settle which cowdexer is right. :positive:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I think I played the Daikatana demo in 2001 or so. The only thing I remember is a cave, everything being dark and a huge frog that I could never kill, for some reason.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. sexbad? Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Codex USB, 2014
    Can you damage control the fucking dragonflies too? Is the badly looped sound a scare tactic?

And yes, the gun is a fucking weak ass piece of shit with a delay. I can for sure aim it for maximum damage when I'm sliding around on any surface that isn't completely level and my mouse input is lagging worse than D44M's. It's the most frustrating gun I've ever used. And who the fuck decides to hide a detonate function in the weapon selection menu? Fuck off, cunt.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.