Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BLACKROOM, an oldschool FPS from John Romero and Adrian Carmack - Kickstarter cancelled!

m_s0

Arcane
Did Fargo get any professional outside help with filming his little skits for the pitches?

I assumed these were more or less homemade, but the above forces me reconsider.

Whatever Romero paid, he got ripped off.

Severian Silk

John_Carmack_John_Romero_Wide.jpg
That pic is awesome, bestest times for video games.
I wish I had hair like that! :(

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
No media guys for the pitch you guys say? If anything it stinks of the touch of corporate dudes trying to reach to the "gamer" crowd.

"Hey what's 'in' these days? Selfies, young people love selfies, and achievements, and Doritos, let's make an achievement for the kickstarter if you get a selfie with Romero's mom"

Jesus christ, that kickstarter page is so full of shit. Would've probably been enough if they had some gameplay and they showed Romero playing and talking about how cool the game is going to be.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Would play the game gladly, if it got made. Romero deserves a second chance goddammit! The game industry is slurping up shit for a decade now, and some people not giving John a 2nd chance. Fuck you! Unfortunately I'm broke, so I cannot pledge.

700K is quite a lot, they have to push that campaign very hard. In that case they might make it. But they really should have made 2 minutes of gameplay at least. Come on guys, if you are asking for 700K, you have to show something. I can't believe you cannot make a small map with some basic concept gameplay elements in a few months.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Would play the game gladly, if it got made. Romero deserves a second chance goddammit! The game industry is slurping up shit for a decade now, and some people not giving John a 2nd chance. Fuck you! Unfortunately I'm broke, so I cannot pledge.

700K is quite a lot, they have to push that campaign very hard. In that case they might make it. But they really should have made 2 minutes of gameplay at least. Come on guys, if you are asking for 700K, you have to show something. I can't believe you cannot make a small map with some basic concept gameplay elements in a few months.
All the cocaine and prostitutes Romero is using must be paid somehow.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
'Moddable', huh?

Let's see where this goes.

(INB4 someone mods Daikatana into Blackroom.)

talan

Augur
Min. pledge to get the game is $29, I don't understand why it's the price of a mid-tier game.
You're buying something which is barely a concept and you have to wait 30 months before an expected release date. I'd expect a discount given the circumstances...

Kron

Arcane
What a disappointing campaign. The pitch is shit, and the artwork is shit.
Suspected as much with these old guys, but I somehow expected that Adrian's involvement would make it all okay.
He's the art director, why the fuck did he allow that shitty generic artwork to be the only visual reference for the game? Also I'm expecting he didn't draw those, that would be depressing.

Decline into blandness never stops.

Edit: There's something that I don't often see mentioned, specifically related to this shitstarter. Part of the appeal of Id's early titles was, for me, apart from the fast gameplay and violence, the art assets. They were clearly inspired by heavy metal and the sci-fi of back then. Everything looked robust, rusty, biomechanical and disturbing in the right way. Sure, it was no Giger or Chichoni, but it was fucking art compared to the gay shit you see in sci-fi now. All these gay bright colours, nonexistant palette; it all looks so generic and boring.
I just expected these hacks to at least attempt to replicate that heavy metal aesthetic.

When they pick those artworks to display on the pitch, it's clear the art department and direction is totally fucked.

Last edited:

All the cocaine and prostitutes Romero is using must be paid somehow.

He needs the mojo to come up with creative ideas like this.

Divinity: Original Sin
I played it. Pretty straightforward, easier than Tech Gone Bad (only imps, pinkies, zombies). But fun, nonetheless. No keys in this level.

otsego

Cipher
New Romero Doom map!

Pretty easy compared to his other level he just released, and just about as incoherent. Didn't feel like the level design allowed for much of the 'fast' gameplay he keeps talking about, but there were a few 'Doom' surprise attacks that felt good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom