Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blackspace!

What do you think about Blackspace?

• Pretty cool. Smarten it up, add loads more shit and I'd pay $5 for it.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It's good for what it is.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Meh. It was fun for 5 mins.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blackspace?

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Baron

Arcane
Blackhole needs a loading screen.

bob-black-hole-297x300.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Kayerts said:
(b) code in the ability to destroy equipment at any dock?
It's in the feature list.

Kayerts said:
Oh, also, the news has an error. The Xenos that attacked Yaladi did not "mysteriously disappear." They were scoured out of existence by the might of imperial justice. It wasn't mysterious at all.
Why do you lie? The alien mothership was still there. What's the matter, can't handle something bigger than you?

Gold said:
Idk, there is a huge difference between 100 clicks an hour and 1 click an hour. One was a lot more enjoyable,
If you have 1 click an hour, you've got the wrong Engines installed but then again it shouldn't be possible to get 100 per hour now either. Big ships should hit 5 - 7 easily and 10 - 20 with a bit of effort. Small ships should get somewhere between 12 and 56 pretty easily. Maybe that is too few and I should revise the tick target upwards but for now I'm working to what I see as a target for actions per day.

I made a couple Billion with 500 clicks yesterday without Robotics and went from size 10 to 100+ in a single day.

Gold said:
the other just makes me sit in one port with the biggest ship I can afford and trade the best good as it randomly goes up and down.
It's ok, that's going to be nerfed too at some point. :)

Gold said:
Though with the nerf to hull prices Im sad I sold my 3751 hull ship to see if the new system was enjoyable and the best I could do was a 120 ship that got 11 clicks an hour. So I guess I will just stop being a space trader and become a warehouse.
The nerf on hull prices had to happen, otherwise you could use it to exponentially make untold amounts of wealth. Ideally, people will be trading, mining and raiding for cash. Not using a game mechanic designed to slow growth and turning it into one that allows them to reach unprecedented growth.

MCA
At the very least, get rid of the maximum clicks/ticks nonsense. When you only get a few per hour and hit max and keep losing ticks after that, it induces some "FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCK!".

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Use 'em or lose 'em - because why would someone who's obviously not using their clicks need more of them?

Kayerts

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Kayerts said:
(b) code in the ability to destroy equipment at any dock?
It's in the feature list.

The jumpgate solves the engine issue in a more agreeable manner, anyway.

Kayerts said:
Oh, also, the news has an error. The Xenos that attacked Yaladi did not "mysteriously disappear." They were scoured out of existence by the might of imperial justice. It wasn't mysterious at all.
Why do you lie? The alien mothership was still there. What's the matter, can't handle something bigger than you?

But the six saucers that actually destroyed Yaladi were executed by One-Gun Carlier, HERO OF BLACKSPACE.

As for the fleet that breached the Core, we annihilated any saucers among them, too. The other gent was their leader and, as such, had been invited to join us for tea on Ahbet, that we might foster greater understanding between our peoples. He declined :)decline:), but even so, he was allowed to leave in peace. We would not kill an invited Xeno diplomat for the crimes of others of his people; that would be not only an act of treachery, but of space racism. (!!!)

In any case, 90% of the Xeno vessels in the sector were killed, then the sole remaining survivor withdrew. They mysteriously disappeared in the same sense that Napoleon's army mysteriously disappeared from Russia.

MCA
DarkUnderlord said:
Use 'em or lose 'em - because why would someone who's obviously not using their clicks need more of them?

Time?

Also how about writing the new thrust and mobility formulae just so we don't lose precious clicks/ticks and credits fucking around with your shitty redesigns every week just to figure it out?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
villain of the story said:
But you're still not using them, so why do you need more? And are you really advocating that you should be able to sit on your fat ass doing nothing for months on end, then come in with six gazillion clicks?

Also how about writing the new thrust and mobility formulae just so we don't lose precious clicks/ticks and credits fucking around with your shitty redesigns every week just to figure it out?
Nah, it's cool. I'm pretty happy with the formula now. Only thing I'll do is tweak some engine stats maybe.

Also, you so totally have the wrong engines on your ship. You could easily be going double (and up to triple if you went all out) your current speed with the same SC left over and about the same PU requirement.

Also $1,104,400,363,308 is plenty of credits. You have enough to buy those engines without it even costing you a quarter of one percent of your current wealth.

So I'm pretty happy with how things are working out.

Current TPH formula is:

Code:
TPH = 1+ sqrt{     sum[  T_i^2  ]    } / (Size * pu_factor) 
T_i = Thrust_i * (Number_of_engines_i ^ Accel_i)

Where
i - engine's index
Thrust_i - engine's raw thrust (or rather initial raw thrust; e.g. for 82.AGA this is 336)
Accel_i - engine's acceleration (e.g. for 82.AGA, Acceleration = 35%, so this would be 0.35)

As you can see, the lower the acceleration, the worse the thrust scales with the number of engines. Thus, for instance, big ships should avoid the 82.AGAs due to their low (35%) acceleration.

One engine actually improves as you add more of it (accel = 101%), but it's a fairly small addition, only mildly significant even at Faceless' size + 20dB. It's currently the best for big ships, though.

As for mixing different engines, since it's a sum of squares, it's usually best reserved to rounding off a 0.9 with some smaller engines.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
After the last changes, I didn't bother to change my engines again. I haven't played since the last changes, actually.
Yes I know. I do keep track of these things. Hence my indifference to most of your whining. :)

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
"Players"? That implies there are more than just Kayerts alts' logging in.

Spectral Miasma said:
[Engine stuff]
Best way to understand it is that certain engines work better on certain size ships. If it has low acceleration, than you really only want to put that engine on a ship it just about fits on (IE: The min size ship you can stuff an AGA on and power it is about a size 5 Freighter). As you go up in size, naturally your T/ph diminishes (big ships need more thrust to move them) but as you add engines, those engines don't have the power to move your bigger and bigger ship. They're still pretty good but only up to a point - where another engine will take-over.

One of the reasons why I like the current formula is that it lets me add a really great engine that does awesome speed for a say, size 100 ship, but then drop that speed off quickly so that it doesn't make a size 500,000 ship rocket along at super speeds.

At certain sizes, certain combinations of engines will work better too (based on what you can fit on your available sc). It all depends on your current fit-out, how fast you want to go and what room you have. And honestly, you all have plenty of money to try every different type of engine out and see which one works best for your particular ship. It's designed to encourage experimentation and different fit-outs, not just "buy the best engine == win".

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Ok, formulas for randomly generating space. One of the things I want is infinitely large, randomly generated space so people can just keep exploring without me having to do anything. Resources become more important so that people will need to mine and then trade resources between locations. Resources will expire (get mined out) which will force people to abandon areas after a time when they're exhausted and move on.

But I want to be able to generate "sensible" solar system setups (sun at the centre) and fun shapes (like crescent or spiral patterns), clusters or rings of asteriods and so on.

I'm open to ideas / formulas I can use that would build these shapes. I'm currently thinking a random chance for any given system (50x50 sectors) to have say, a sun and then build the rest of the system from there based on randomly choosing a pattern (formula) of some sort to generate the rest.

Also open to ideas of "things" that should exist in space (Nebulas, quasars and stuff and what they might do).

Kayerts

Arcane
The current formula for generating space might be a little too simple.

Kayerts

Arcane
On the off chance you're not aware of it, DU, the game's been down for a few days.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
It is kinda sad to just watch all that effort disappear. Maybe someday we will see a rebuilt version.

Kayerts

Arcane
The game appears to have been resurrected at the old url.

The galaxy is, alas, completely silent, every other ship still locked in the stasis of the past hundred days. But it does exist. DU, is this an oversight, or are you thinking about resuming development?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I offer to buy the rights to this game for 10 zloty. I want to sell boxed versions of this game. This way gamers get to keep boxes and even if the buyers don't directly give money to the developers, the developers still get to keep 10 zloty. Of course I get to keep the rest of the money.

hanssolo

Educated
Kayerts said:
The game appears to have been resurrected at the old url.

The galaxy is, alas, completely silent, every other ship still locked in the stasis of the past hundred days. But it does exist. DU, is this an oversight, or are you thinking about resuming development?

Oh wow, thought it was gone for good. The Shiteating Grin rides again!

edit: 23,000 clicks! FUCK ALL Y'ALL!

edit dos:

You undock...
You lost 23,078 clicks which were generated above your current maximum of 566 clicks.

:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom