Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blade of Darkness re-release

SlamDunk

Arcane

https://af.gog.com/game/blade_of_darkness?as=1649904300

On Good Old Games and Steam.

https://www.gamespress.com/zh-CN/Br...ntasy-Action-Adventure-Game-Blade-of-Darkness

SNEG said:
Brutal and Bloody Dark Fantasy Action-Adventure Game Blade of Darkness Gets Updated Re-release on PC

London, UK (August 13, 2021) — Today, video game publisher SNEG Ltd. is thrilled to announce that the timeless action-adventure classic, Blade of Darkness, will make its way to PC via Steam and GOG.com this October. Updated for the modern generation of gaming PCs, the re-release of Blade of Darkness will give players the chance to experience the relentless gameplay with unique and vicious combat mechanics and role-playing elements that helped to pioneer the “soulsborne” genre and influence so many modern, beloved games. With its original 2001 release, Blade of Darkness earned kudos for its unrelenting and varied gameplay and unique combat mechanics.

In Blade of Darkness, players take on the role of one of four characters, each with their own individual strengths, weaknesses, and skills, as they hack and slash their way through hordes of enemies on a gory quest to save the world from the forces of chaos. This updated version by noted retro-porting developers Fire Falcom and General Arcade brings the classic title to modern PCs with widescreen support up to 4K resolution, new display settings, and stability improvements. Now players can descend into the madness once again as they devastate all who oppose them, leaving piles of corpses in their wake!

“Since its initial launch, Blade of Darkness continues to build a dedicated following — mods, ‘Let's Plays’, and community patches are found throughout the gaming community even today. This only signals how undeserving was the game's fate,” said Elena Roor, Managing Director at SNEG. “I'm glad that we've managed to sort out everything legal and, to our luck, unearthed the source code with the help of the original dev team. Altogether this brings us to the upcoming October release.”

Features of Blade of Darkness include:

• Pick your Champion of Ianna: Players can choose from up to four playable characters: Tukaram, the Barbarian; Naglfar, the Dwarf; Sargon, the Knight; or Zoe, the Amazon — each with unique strengths, weaknesses, and fighting skills.
  • Bloody and Gory Combat: Not for the faint of heart, brave champions must learn devastating combo attacks and use them to slash their foes to ribbons and hack off limbs to use as weapons — who needs a legendary sword when an opponent’s femur will do the trick?
  • A Dark & Detailed Fantasy World: Vicious enemies abound the sinister terrain, eager to keep players from dispersing the chaos of the world. Battle orcs, trolls, golems, demons, skeletons, and scores of malevolent enemy creatures, while exploring treacherous tombs, frozen fortresses, demon spires, deserts, temples, and palaces.
  • Interactive Environments: Players can destroy in-game objects with fire or fists as they solve puzzles and disarm traps that combine physics, hydraulic systems, and lethal devices!
  • Modern Brutality: Blade of Darkness has been re-engineered to shine on modern PC hardware and operating systems, including widescreen support up to 4K resolution, new display settings, and overall stability improvements. The gameplay content and story are untouched — featuring all the original game’s quirks and charm.

Blade of Darkness launches for PC via Steam and GOG.com in October 2021. To keep up with the latest news and updates, please visit the official Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1710170/Blade_of_Darkness/. A full press kit for Blade of Darkness can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14V7iV-wBTbsMUK-uf0pEyY1XgRgGlwTg.

About SNEG Ltd.

SNEG is a small boutique publisher focusing on the re-mastering and distribution of old gaming gems. We have a taste for games, a true admiration of the classics, and a desire to bring more entertainment delights from all eras of the gaming culture of today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder why they're so determined on cutting Severance from the name. Maybe licensing issues? Weird if so, since it's an original IP as far as I know. Maybe some marketing fucker decided the name sounded better without it.

Edit:
From Wikipedia
known as Blade of Darkness in North America and Blade: The Edge of Darkness in Spain
That explains it.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

MercurySteam is apparently working on a major "action" game of some sort. Wonder if this re-release is connected to that in some way, meaning their new game might be successor to Severance (in one way or another).

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of my favourite games. A real classic. I never really mastered the art of dodging mid-combo, but I expect that was where some real enjoyment was to be had. Like with Tukram's fire sword.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
whaaaaat-40fta1.jpg

Baron Dupek

Arcane
IIRC even GOG version was far from perfect (video options mostly) so this is good news.

MercurySteam is apparently working on a major "action" game of some sort. Wonder if this re-release is connected to that in some way, meaning their new game might be successor to Severance (in one way or another).
They might work on new Alice game or Scrapland remaster.

Parsifarka

Arcane
They might work on new Alice game or Scrapland remaster.
It's highly unlikely they are doing anything related to Alice, by what he says in his streams American McGee is most certainly attempting to assemble a studio in China for Alice: Asylum as he did with Spicy Horse for Madness Returns. The "American McGee presents" in the cover of Scrapland was in words of the man himself a mere marketing tool as he happened to be working at Enlight, the publisher.

Having said that, the latter is pretty much confirmed to be happening by the founder of MercurySteam:

Ash

Arcane
I remember playing this in like 2001 at a relative's house. It was cool but I never had the time to get too far into the game. Guess I will have no excuse now. That's if it is actually worth it. I remember RPG systems yet them not actually having any real relevance? Too long ago now, guess we'll see.

deama

Prophet
I wonder if the remaster is gonna be any good, I heard it can be a bitch to get running these days.

Btan0

Literate
I wonder if they will use the same generic royalty free music as the original release. I remember Max Payne uses a few of the same songs too.

Cadmus

Arcane
I wonder if they will use the same generic royalty free music as the original release. I remember Max Payne uses a few of the same songs too.
I think Max Payne shared a song with HoMaM IV :)

I was just thinking I should try Severance again so this is really interesting news.
I think the game was not working properly on my system some years ago.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

The songs really stuck with me. One of the tracks was actually used in Mount & Blade too (during the 0.751 - 0.8 days).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom