Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition from Nightdive Studios

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And Steam reviews are "mostly negative" for similar reasons. With 35% rating, this is the second worst rated release from Nightdive. (What's the first? Womb Room.)

Wunderbar

Arcane
DyyomZ4.jpg

:D

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
It's time for beamdog to jump into the wagon and release Blade Runner Enhanced Enhanced edition.

Modron

Arcane
I don't know why people would buy it on Steam over gog, at least on Gog you get the old release with the purchase of it and it's the same price as the old release. So whether they patch it up nice or not at least you got a working product there.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
A big subplot of the game/BR universe involves having to deal with buying lame robotic animals instead of the real thing. It's ironic.

Azdul

Magister
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-blade-runner-games-new-remaster-looks-worse

The remaster is shit. So it seems releasing this game on consoles was more important than doing a good job. I dont think its humanly possible to despise and loathe consoles more than i do.

If ScummVM hadn't added support for Blade Runner, and if GOG hadn't re-released the game, I would welcome the release of an ugly remaster with joy and a sidenote of sadness. But that version does exist, and it's better. Nightdive reportedly couldn't build on ScummVM's work because the open-source license requirements wouldn't fly with their plans for console releases, and consoles do seem the main reason for this to exist at all.
Not all consoles are equal. Only Nintendo does not allow GPL code at all. It's extremely evil AND extremely stupid at the same time.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-blade-runner-games-new-remaster-looks-worse

The remaster is shit. So it seems releasing this game on consoles was more important than doing a good job. I dont think its humanly possible to despise and loathe consoles more than i do.

If ScummVM hadn't added support for Blade Runner, and if GOG hadn't re-released the game, I would welcome the release of an ugly remaster with joy and a sidenote of sadness. But that version does exist, and it's better. Nightdive reportedly couldn't build on ScummVM's work because the open-source license requirements wouldn't fly with their plans for console releases, and consoles do seem the main reason for this to exist at all.
Not all consoles are equal. Only Nintendo does not allow GPL code at all. It's extremely evil AND extremely stupid at the same time.
GPLv3 has some strange hardware obligations not present in GPLv2.

Azdul

Magister

GPLv3 has some strange hardware obligations not present in GPLv2.
Nintendo console APIs are under NDA - which pretty much guarantees that source code will not be released no matter if it is LGPL, GPLv2 or GPLv3. It was too much even for SEGA - and some SEGA classic compilations were released on everything but Nintendo.

GPLv3 was a problem for Mac OS X. But nowadays - as Apple does not care about Mac OS X as a platform for games - why should anyone else ?

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow...
Screenshot-2022-06-25-at-12-48-48-Thomas-Fach-Pedersen-madmoose-dk-Twitter.png

FWFDa26-XEAACdxe.png

Screenshot-2022-06-25-at-15-27-20-Thomas-Fach-Pedersen-auf-Twitter.png

Nightdive Discord janitor* VS ScummVM dev (note: this is after Nightdive has brazenly stolen this guy's work and make money off of it, because Nightdive is too fucking dense and/or lazy to do a proper remaster themselves).

The janny's reply seems to imply that gog is balls deep in this thing as well. I wouldn't be surprised if gog had "sold out" ScummVM in order for Nightdive to toss them some scraps in return (like that surprise Doom 64 release from a few days ago).

*actually their community manager - figures it would be a preferred-pronouns-in-bio-having loon

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Wow, I wasn't paying attention at all and suddenly its so bad that even game journos are calling it bad. Nightdive really screwed the pooch this time, didn't they?

It also seems like the ScummVM dev has deleted all his tweets, because we can't have a proper backlash towards anyone these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom