Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Title.

I don't know what to say. While I won't be playing it because WoW is shit, I'm still surprised they "caved in".

Jokzore

Arbiter
I remember my time in WoW of yore quite fondly, but would I have fun playing it now? Not a chance, its just nostalgia glasses.

After all what they've done, if people are not braindead, they will keep supporting the unofficial servers.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

My guess is once the initial wave of tourists dies down, there will only be a small core group of people left. "That’s OK," Brack assures me. "I don’t think that’s wrong. There will be a core group of people who are really excited, and that’s the game for them and that’s the thing they want to play.

"I think there will be a lot of tourists," he adds. "But it doesn’t matter what I think because once we’re committed to doing this at a Blizzard level, which we are, whatever happens is going to happen. If millions of people show up and play for years, that’s awesome. And if just tens of people show up and play for years, we’re fine either way. What’s important to us is that we have this Classic experience people can enjoy, that people do have the opportunity to go back to. This is an important game in videogame history and there’s not a way to go back and experience that today. This is also about preserving something that we think is really important.

Well, they sound determined.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I had a lot of fun on Nostalrius so this will be even better since I don't have to set up an emotional barrier due to the inevitable fate of the unofficial server being shut down at the drop of a hat, which is exactly what happened.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
People will choose original quality and knowledge that they won't lose anything over some drama or law problems every time.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Pretty much. Private servers on suicide watch. Only thing keeping tbc and onwards servers from closing down is that it'll probably take a while till Blizz decide to launch Wrath servers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
People will choose original quality and knowledge that they won't lose anything over some drama or law problems every time.

I'm assuming they aren't getting rid of the monthly fees from this, but i suppose people aren't going to give a shit. RIP private servers.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder what the reaction would be like if Blizzard revealed this is basically the old idea of pristine realms, under a new title, they toyed with back when people started clamoring for official vanilla servers.

I'm assuming they aren't getting rid of the monthly fees from this, but i suppose people aren't going to give a shit. RIP private servers.

We'll also see who actually wants vanilla WoW and who's just freeloading on private servers.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't know much about WoW but I came here to ask why the fuck is everyone talking about it and why would anyone want to revert back to the state of the game in 2003.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Would have to see details on how they'll set things up. Wondering if they'll charge people for a 'Classic' expansion. Here's something they have no control over: the online community is ten times worse than what is was 13+ years ago when WoW launched.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Vanilla WoW > all other WoWs.
Why? I've never really played WoW, but I'm genuinely curious what changed so much to make it worse.

- Leveling took longer.
- Item drops were more meaningful.
- 5 mans were serious business.
- People's behavior was far superior on the internet in 2003-2004 than it is now in 2017.
- No CRZ/server hopping made for stronger server communities.
- Crafting/trade chat was meaningful.

The easier they made things the more the game fell apart.

Last edited:

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Everything was worse after vanilla, some just less worse than others. I imagine this classic server will have a bunch of 'modern improvements' rendering the whole thing useless.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
TBC was better than vanilla, no idea what you are smoking. Prepare to log in almost every day for Ony/MC/BWL/ZG/AQ20/40 rotations for over a year and a half until you don't want to see those color schemes ever again. And that's assuming you don't farm for consumables. The content is ridiculously easy, so all you are doing is mechanically going through the motions, but also eating your time that is better spent in other pursuits.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
All the content is easy once you learn youtube it for long enough with super duper gear. TBC was the next best and everything else is complete waste of time afterwards.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have never played any WoW, not even a mnute. I can explain, I was quite young when it came out (in my late twenties).

Is it any good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom