Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood Bowl 2

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When BB2 has anything that makes it remotely worth playing over BB1? I would consider it on full team implementation. Currently I am very happy playing in Orca Cola League, and I will recommend heartily to any Codex BB-fan.
Indeed, OCC was very smoothly run, and I had a great time for my 10 seasons there.
OCC going to BB2 would be the only reason for me to make the switch.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
When BB2 has anything that makes it remotely worth playing over BB1?.

less bugs ?

The 1 or 2 problematic bugs that yet exist in BB1 is not a reason to go from 23 teams to 11 IMO. But, like I argued in my review, BB2 will indeed be a slightly improved BB1 once team diversity and league structure is in place. When that happens, I will switch.

When BB2 has anything that makes it remotely worth playing over BB1? I would consider it on full team implementation. Currently I am very happy playing in Orca Cola League, and I will recommend heartily to any Codex BB-fan.
Indeed, OCC was very smoothly run, and I had a great time for my 10 seasons there.
OCC going to BB2 would be the only reason for me to make the switch.

They are switching soon (maybe even from next season which is very close?), but they will keep a BB1-league going. I intend to play in that until the above happens :)

Last edited:

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
6th game it put me up against a chaos team with 1000 higher team value. I conceded instead of of having the army of mighty blow + claw + piling on permanently damage/kill my whole team.

EDIT: only 3 of my guys were at level 2. If my guys all had block I would have played it out.

I am playing 2 because I lost my login info for 1,and don't want to buy it again.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Only 2 years for full roster!

At least for free - and not split between like ten different versions like with 1.

I unterstand everyone who wants to wait for the "full" version, but I really like the new animations and think the team isn't just big enough to produce content at a much higher pace.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Only 2 years for full roster!

At least for free - and not split between like ten different versions like with 1.

I unterstand everyone who wants to wait for the "full" version, but I really like the new animations and think the team isn't just big enough to produce content at a much higher pace.
Yeah sure. It's free if you bought on launch, and it is not very likely they'll keep that up for the entire roster.

Also, I hear the game still has completely shit league management.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yeah sure. It's free if you bought on launch, and it is not very likely they'll keep that up for the entire roster.

Also, I hear the game still has completely shit league management.

You get all the new DLC factions which are released after you bought the game - which means to get them all for free, you had to buy it by February (1/2 year after launch). I bought the game at 40% off 2 months after launch.

I don't want to praise them too much for that, because they basically try to save the game after a lackluster launch, for which they have to blame themselves.

I read more and more leagues are switching to 2 now, with their current seasons. but I didn't have time to play myself recently, so it's hearsay.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Guise what would you pick on dwarves after guard? stand firm or mighty blow.

I want to go guard > stand firm > MB. My reasoning is that stand firm always works, and when opponent gets a push you get a free block action on your next turn, something that you cannot get with migthy blow, and a free block action is a potential casualty as opposed to not being able to hit at all with MB.

Ideas ?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Definetely mighty blow

more on this? why MB before stand firm? With stand firm you can get a free block next turn if enemy tries to push you vs nothing with MB, and a free block is a potential casualty, with MB without stand firm I would not be able to get a block, thus i would not be able to hit anything equaling in a wasted MB.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Your dichotomy that one skill is "potential/probability based" and the other "always works" is false.

Stand Firm only helps if people have favorable blocks against you OR are forced to make a suboptimal block, yet don't succeed in knocking you down, OR if it was important that your piece didn't move despite being knocked down. That's a broad application, but it's also a very limited reward in most cases.

Mighty Blow tilts the odds closer in your favor of actually taking guys out, which is crucial on a bash team. Moreover, it indirectly supplies SPP (which are hard to get for bash teams) by causing casualties.

In general, I'd say the first couple of mighty blows followed by piling ons are much, muuuuuuch more important than Stand Firm. However, when you get the critical amount of Mighty Blow, Stand Firm starts to become more alluring since you're picking it on pieces that aren't that liable to be blocking all the time anyway (your POMB players are the ones doing that).

I'd even go so far as to say that Mighty Blow is more important than Guard on the first, maybe the first two, piece you'll be blitzing and/or piling on with. But that's clearly debatable.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Stand Firm only helps if people have favorable blocks against you OR are forced to make a suboptimal block, yet don't succeed in knocking you down, OR if it was important that your piece didn't move despite being knocked down. That's a broad application, but it's also a very limited reward in most cases.

Yes but what when that push gives you a free block which will result in a casualty? with mighty blow you wouldn't be able to block because you would get pushed back. isn't more blocks = more chance of casualty better than a small buff to lower number of blocks?

Plenty of times there are rolls of push/skull or push/push, i'd say that in every game you would get about 10 free blocks thanks to this, if from those 10 free blocks i can get 1 KO'd atleast i'd say its worth it

This brings opponent chance of doing something to you on double dices from 88% to 50%

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think you are severely overestimating the amount of extra blocks Stand Firm will result in.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I think you are severely overestimating the amount of extra blocks Stand Firm will result in.

Well i have done some math.
including the skull, three of the six sides of the block dice are at best functionally useless, and at worst, potentially deadly. A player with Block and Stand Firm cancels out 4/6 facings of each dice thrown against them.
So now a single dice has only a 33% chance of having some kind of effect, with the other 67% chance being that your opponent achieves bugger all. On a two dice block it is at a 55% of successfully doing something, but still, that’s better than 88%.

Now add to that that every push that opponent throws at you, becomes your potential block, so you overwhelm the opponent with blocks, add to that the guard and block on dwarfs, and suddenly you will see that the opponent finds himself outbashed.

That's my reasoning atleast why stand firm might be taken before mighty blow, and you need to have it on all dwarves for maximum effect

So ideally i guess would be to have 8-9 pieces of stand firm and 1-2 mighty blow for those blitz attacks

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey man, whatever floats your boat (your math is off though, as it does not take into account whether one piece with Stand Firm or a blitz every turn with MB is best, and I know what I'd bet on every time).

Just know that it's against the conventional wisdom of the best players out there who consistently take Guard - Mighty Blow - Stand Firm.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Hey man, whatever floats your boat (your math is off though, as it does not take into account whether one piece with Stand Firm or a blitz every turn with MB is best,

Why not both? you take MB on 1-2 guys first for blitz attacks and rest of your team stand firm to get more blocks

Just know that it's against the conventional wisdom of the best players out there who consistently take Guard - Mighty Blow - Stand Firm.

Well someone have to tell them now they were wrong all the time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey man, whatever floats your boat (your math is off though, as it does not take into account whether one piece with Stand Firm or a blitz every turn with MB is best,

Why not both? you take MB on 1-2 guys first for blitz attacks and rest of your team stand firm to get more blocks

Hmm, sounds brilliant. Something like

However, when you get the critical amount of Mighty Blow, Stand Firm starts to become more alluring

? ;)

Goldhawk

Goldhawk Interactive
Developer
Stand Firm just isn't as useful as Mighty Blow in all-around play. Mighty Blow is the best kill skill in the game and makes a surprisingly large difference to the number of casualties a you can inflict with a block. You won't go too far wrong picking Stand Firm, but remember that the only teams that will stand and hit your player instead of trying to dodge away will be bashers - and Orcs and Chaos etc have higher ST pieces than Dwarves do, so you don't necessarily want to be standing next to them because you might be throwing -2d dice against them. Mighty Blow makes exchanging punches a bit better for you.

Building a couple of killers with MB-PO is a great idea but remember that Dwarves have tiny legs and can't move very far. You always want to be blitzing with a killer if you can, but a Blocker with MB is still a Block / Tackle / MB piece and makes an excellent backup if your killers can't reach your target. Most teams need at least two levels on their primary killer to get a player that hits that hard. You can base it on the league you're playing in, anyway - if you've got a lot of agility teams in there then Stand Firm / Diving Tackle on a Block / Tackle piece makes elves and rats cry. If you're playing with randoms online rather than joining a league then you're doing it wrong (go join the OCC).

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
hmm now i was thinking of doing smth different also, going guard-stand firm-fend for the ultimate pitch control, this way with dodgey i can stand firm and with chaos orc and lizzardz i could fend and move away.

Goldhawk

Goldhawk Interactive
Developer
That's definitely something to try in random matchmaking rather than a permanent league, as I imagine it'll wind up being a disaster :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom