Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood Bowl 2

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
only goblins

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's actually a poor idea to start with a top tier team if you're a new player IMO. Wood Elves will get you killed and Chaos start can be rocky. I recommend 1) Dark Elves. Can't go wrong with this, it's got get out of jail free cards (AG), movement, and plenty of defense. 2) Orcs. Just bash shit. 3) 'Zon, just too good at the start. 4) Lizardmen, bit trickier but still a good beginner IMO because they're easy to "get" - Saurus stand still and bash, Skinks run.
Tbh, if you are new to the game odds are you're going to lose a lot anyway. In general, I would recommend one of the skill teams (humans, norse, zons, maybe orks count too?). Skill in this sense refers to starting with skills on your players, rather than high stat players.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just signed up with these beauties!

iqzj0E4.png

Unfortunately there's not enough space in the nameslot for Teenage Mutant Dragon Turtles :'(

I would recommend one of the skill teams

So something like, oh, I dunno, Dark Elves, Orcs and Zons? :M

(really, Dark Elves are by far the best new/inexperienced starter because they are so lenient to error, which is the most important thing for new players, since they're going to be committing a lot.)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
dorfs are the ultimate skill team! They are a bit boring to play, but they'll teach you the fundamentals: advancing in cage formation, and stomping elves.
Orcs work too.
I would definitely recommend against humans. Nothing good ever got out of this roster!
Chas are not that hard to play with. I have started with them from the beginning, and I don't remember ever having any other problem than finding games with my claw/fangs team (it used to give +2 to armor roll and +2 to damage roll).
Anyway, I'd recommend to play some games on automatch first and find the style you're the most comfortable with.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
IMO it's a misnomer that dwarves are good for beginners. They're easily one of the hardest teams to play due to their restricted mobility.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So something like, oh, I dunno, Dark Elves, Orcs and Zons? :M
Dark elves have no ball handling skills beyond ag4 though, but they're not a bad pick. Orcs are boring as hell, I'd prefer not to recommend them to anyone.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's actually a poor idea to start with a top tier team if you're a new player IMO. Wood Elves will get you killed and Chaos start can be rocky. I recommend 1) Dark Elves. Can't go wrong with this, it's got get out of jail free cards (AG), movement, and plenty of defense. 2) Orcs. Just bash shit. 3) 'Zon, just too good at the start. 4) Lizardmen, bit trickier but still a good beginner IMO because they're easy to "get" - Saurus stand still and bash, Skinks run.
Tbh, if you are new to the game odds are you're going to lose a lot anyway. In general, I would recommend one of the skill teams (humans, norse, zons, maybe orks count too?). Skill in this sense refers to starting with skills on your players, rather than high stat players.

Yes I'm weighing between Norse, Orcs, and Bretts. I kinda like Bretts just cause their aesthetic is amusing. Norse are fun too, but they can be a bit frustrating since half the team gets KO'd/stunned/killed so easily.

IMO it's a misnomer that dwarves are good for beginners. They're easily one of the hardest teams to play due to their restricted mobility.
They might be hard to score with, but they'll seldom make you feel like you have no control on the match anymore.
Scoring isn't the problem. The problem is that if you ever get caught out of position you have no way of recovering.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
They might be hard to score with, but they'll seldom make you feel like you have no control on the match anymore.
Scoring isn't the problem. The problem is that if you ever get caught out of position you have no way of recovering.
Indeed, but their main problem is that they can be boring to play compared to faster and more flexible races.

Tackling a dodging Elf is never boring, and the ensuing gang-foul will teach any dirty ball player that fact :smug:

Suggesting teams for a beginner is pointless in my opinion. Git gud is the only correct answer.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
they'll seldom make you feel like you have no control on the match anymore.

No, this is exactly their problem. If you're just a bit imprecise with your positioning, dwarves get sickly punished and you'll lose hard, because small mistakes can cost you everything. There are many teams that are more lenient towards many mistakes. That said, obviously Undead Phoenix is ultimately right :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've had much fun with d0rfs. Between the omni-tackle, the troll-slayers (who are trollish as hell themselves) and the deathroller, it's a very fun team to play. In fact, the people who say otherwise are in 100% of cases just folks who got steamrolled by them :troll:

Morkar Left

Didn't get the game on sale because I still have enough on my plate playing TW Warhammer but got the first one and the idea was always intriguing to me. How is 2 compared to the first one? Especially rule changes, campaign mode (for all races available?) and how is the atmosphere (I really missed fans/spectators in the arena in the first one)?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't get the game on sale because I still have enough on my plate playing TW Warhammer but got the first one and the idea was always intriguing to me. How is 2 compared to the first one? Especially rule changes, campaign mode (for all races available?) and how is the atmosphere (I really missed fans/spectators in the arena in the first one)?
I only played for 2 or 3 hours, but the atmosphere I like more.
It's mostly due to the better graphics & sound IMO.
You still have the narrators and they are still pretty funny - I guess until you have heard their remarks for like 100 times and turn them off.

The rules I would guess are the same - after all, it is a faithful adaption, right?

The camera is absolutely annoying as are the slow motion "action" effects whenever anything happens. Thankfully, they can be turned off and the camera restored to how it was in BB1.

The campaign is actually kind of a story campaign where you (as far as I've played) are forced to play as Humans. BUT from what I gather, it is only one big tutorial that slowly introduces you to the rules - really a pretty good concept for a complex game like this. The first match doesn't even have half of the actual rules to get new players started better (i.e. picking up the ball always works). Following matches have more and more rules unlocked until you have the full rules happening.

Of course, you can just start a solo ladder which is then almost exactly the same as the campaign was in BB 1 I figure? It's like playing an online league, but with only AI opponents.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
they'll seldom make you feel like you have no control on the match anymore.

No, this is exactly their problem. If you're just a bit imprecise with your positioning, dwarves get sickly punished and you'll lose hard, because small mistakes can cost you everything. There are many teams that are more lenient towards many mistakes. That said, obviously Undead Phoenix is ultimately right :smug:

I was specifically refering to the difficulty to depitch them. Getting depitched is the main cause of helplessness in the beginning. A newbie will get trounced score wise anyway. At least, with 11 people on the field, you can still try to score some and get some SPP. With 7, not so much.

I've had much fun with d0rfs. Between the omni-tackle, the troll-slayers (who are trollish as hell themselves) and the deathroller, it's a very fun team to play. In fact, the people who say otherwise are in 100% of cases just folks who got steamrolled by them :troll:
I am disappointed to hear so from a Ratman. What makes d0rfs "boring" is their speed, which makes them the antithesis of Skaven playstyle.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Guise what's better first for a 'killer' type character, piling on or mighty blow? I'm hoping for him to be my main blitzer and trying to blitz with him whenever I can so I don't realy mind him being down all the time from PO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom