Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood Bowl 3

Zanzoken

Arcane
The more I see of it, the more I hate it. Maybe the most hideous menu screens I've ever seen in what is supposed to be a professionally made game.

I'm not just trying to be contrarian here in typical Codex fashion. This shit looks really bad.

Harthwain

Magister
BB2 was already terrible, this does look slightly worse, which is an achievement.
Really? I thought BB2 is really good. What's terrible about it? And I disagree about BB3 looking "slightly worse". It's so terribad it's a crime.

bionicman

Liturgist
Things that haven't been changed since launch of bb2: lengthy cutscenes (bb2 felt slower than bb1), lack of change on graphical models when they level up (in bb1 a level 3 player would have a visual upgrade over a level 1 player, in bb2 they all look the same no matter the level), in bb2 all stadiums look alike while in bb1 they looked different.

However, also, at the launch of bb2 a lot of features that exist now were missing, so naturally everyone was frustrated, e.g. there was no grid, I think also there was no dice log, UI for team management was awful (made for consoles) so they redesigned it some time later since everyone complained. Also, single-player in bb2 is worse than in bb1 (the AI and the campaign mode, not that AI was ever that good anyways though).

bionicman

Liturgist
How long are AI turn times? Can you skip animation?

Seems the AI is horrible yet again, like in previous iterations, so it doesn't take long, but does the worst things it can do every turn. Also, seems not only the animation can't be skipped but it also counts as part of the timer (wasted time), which is quite odd. I assume they'll fix this later (but they won't fix the AI).

A funny thing about the look of the game is that it seems too high contrast, it's very straining to look at, but for some reason they bothered to add different colorblind modes. So, some streamer switched to one of the colorblind modes, and this significantly improved the look of the game. Makes you think... are blood bowl devs colorblind?

Zanzoken

Arcane
I just watched part of the cknoor gameplay stream. So much of it just looks like "changes for the sake of changes" instead of trying to make smart decisions about where the game could be improved. And the result is a jumbled, indecipherable mess.

Like if I knew nothing about Cyanide or the Blood Bowl video game franchise, and someone showed me what I've seen of the game so far, I'd think it was a pre-alpha made by a team of devs who had never played Blood Bowl before and were taking their first whack at a playable build. The fact that a studio that's already made two of these fucking games already could produce something so horrendous is almost inconceivable.

Old Hans

Arcane
The more I see of it, the more I hate it. Maybe the most hideous menu screens I've ever seen in what is supposed to be a professionally made game.

I'm not just trying to be contrarian here in typical Codex fashion. This shit looks really bad.

wow those are bad. they look like cheap mobile game menus.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

wow those are bad. they look like cheap mobile game menus.

Looks like placeholders to me. I HIGHLY doubt those flat oversaturated boxes are the final UI.

Of course, I may be wrong, in which case:
:prosper:

UnHerd

Barely Literate
Feels like they have updated the rules to the latest version of the board game fairly accurately, but somehow broken the UI / Usability of it

bionicman

Liturgist
I got invited to BB3 closed beta on the last day of it, and here are my impressions:

- The main menu/team management UI isn't so bad, although the part where you're purchasing players is unfinished or made for consoles and has to be fixed (they fixed this in BB2 after everyone complained... but I guess they still haven't learned the lesson)
- I like the customization aspect of BB3 (e.g. picking your own color palette & pattern for the characters)

- the actual game is unplayable, I can barely see what is happening on the screen (I had to squint)
gSLcMGa.png

(this is a screenshot from when I turned on the color-blind mode, cause the color-blind mode is less harsh on the eyes)
for comparison, how it looks without the color-blind mode turned on:
RfK1KjJ.png

EDIT: actually I think this is the color-blind mode and I mixed up the screenshots, but there isn't much of a difference anyways. It's difficult to look at either way.

- I played as imperial guards nobility, the new team, and I couldn't differentiate their different positionals (lineman, blitzer, and bodyguard), they all look almost the same with an barely noticeable difference in idle animations
- the new dice-picking UI when blocking (the circular thing you've seen) is made for consoles and horrendous with mouse, I missclicked a lot since it automatically moves my cursor to one of the options
- moving characters around is unintuitive and requires extra effort than in BB2 (feels laggy and slow even when playing vs AI)
- for some reason blood bowl devs love the isometric camera mode, it is turned on by default, and the other camera mode is unusable (worse than in bb2) so I was forced to view the game from an isometric perspective

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
BB2 was already terrible, this does look slightly worse, which is an achievement.
Really? I thought BB2 is really good. What's terrible about it? And I disagree about BB3 looking "slightly worse". It's so terribad it's a crime.

BB2 was objectively better than BB1 in almost every sense, Jaedar is smoking some really heavy Codex-crack on this subject. It was incredibly lacklustre when it came out due to missing features (see my review in my sig), but feature complete it beats BB1 on every level except that your units got new armor graphics as they leveled up in BB1. Not that beating BB1 was a high bar, it was a buggy mess.

BB2 today is almost bug free, has better league management, better UI and better general ease-of-use than BB1.

Not to mention that you don't need to open your ports for multiplayer and YOU CAN ACTUALLY FUCKING RECONNECT TO GAMES AFTER CRASHING WTF HOW WAS THIS NOT IN THE FIRST GAME

(I run Denmark's biggest digital Blood Bowl league with 70+ players on its 23rd season, and I would never want to run that in BB1. It is tolerable in BB2.)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Not that beating BB1 was a high bar, it was a buggy mess.
The ONLY thing BB2 exceeds its predecessor is in software stability (this is a big thing to be better at, and so I consider the two games roughly on par in terms of final quality). And perhaps league management, I didn't do enough of that in BB1 to comment. But the BB2 league management is not amazing, just passable.

BB1 had better camera, better dice log, better animations, better art design, better voices, better cheerleaders, better pick up and play...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm. On second thought you may be right:

Original: completely unstable, technical difficulty to even play in multiplayer, no reconnection leading to complete breakdown of league integrity as the game inevitably crashed or had the 12-man (or equally bad) bug, no league structure or choice beyond the extreme basics, horrible nonsense interface

HOWEVER also original: better cheerleaders

I stand corrected

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Fucking Cyanide needs to invest its crack money on hiring ONE competent coder. I can't believe they're still in business.

Self-Ejected

aeternalis

Wordcel
Patron
it's been several years since I played blood bowl. are there any reasons to get cyanide's new shit vs. playing on fumbbl, besides:
  • popamole grafix
  • retard low-skill playerbase where 90% of your public matchmaking will result in a curbstomp and a rage-disconnect, good for an ego boost I guess?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
been a long time since I played blood bowl, but is there any reason to get this shit vs. playing on fumbbl, other than popamole grafix and retard playerbase to easily curbstomp & force rage-disconnects?

The short answer is no. I play it, but that's because I run a hueg league + I like the graphix.

Self-Ejected

aeternalis

Wordcel
Patron
been a long time since I played blood bowl, but is there any reason to get this shit vs. playing on fumbbl, other than popamole grafix and retard playerbase to easily curbstomp & force rage-disconnects?

The short answer is no. I play it, but that's because I run a hueg league + I like the graphix.

that's fair. the grafix would be nicer if their devs didn't always do numbskull shit like this:

Can you speed up animations?
fRmxjej.png

thanks for replying. I read your retrospective and was nodding my head the whole way

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom