Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood Bowl LE release date announced

Multi-headed Cow

I thought Fumbbl got sued and closed by Games Workshop. Was that something else, or is it back now, or did I dream the entire thing?

Mantiis

Cipher
I'll be getting it as I am a graphics whore. I can't play that fumbbl shit.

With any luck the AI and the multiplayer is revamped.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
I thought Fumbbl got sued and closed by Games Workshop. Was that something else, or is it back now, or did I dream the entire thing?

They were threatened a while ago, because Cyanide was trying to back out of their deal with Games Workshop when the Blood Bowl copyright was up for renewal. (Some of you might remember that Cyanides Blood Bowl game was only developed after a court settlment with GW over copyright infringement with their blatant rip-off Chaos League). As a result a bunch of fansites were sent angry letters to show the courts that GW was still protecting their copyright. Fumbbl.com still exists, after removing all GW content (mostly pictures of miniatures) from their site. Plus they've made their own LRB5 compliant client called Fantasy Football to further seperate themselves from GWs IP.

If you can live without singleplayer, Fumbbl offers a vastly superior product for free. (And after LPing the Cyanide game, I can say with certainity that the AI doesn't offer a terribly compelling SP experience). The graphics aren't as shiny, but all races have been implemented for a long while, the site has a higher quality of players, and a better community. They're fairly strict in enforcing disconnection rules, keeping the annoying idiots who whine and drop games to a bare minimum.

Also, Stunty Leeg is comedy gold.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I will be getting it, since my friends have begun setting up private tourneys.

I really hope they've fixed multiplayer, which was a huge mess.

Topher

Cipher
I've never played it but after writing an article about it, well... it looks kinda fun. Wasn't they're an older Blood Bowl game?

*that's funny the press release I got like two days ago only listed the date as Q4.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Topher said:
I've never played it but after writing an article about it, well... it looks kinda fun. Wasn't they're an older Blood Bowl game?

*that's funny the press release I got like two days ago only listed the date as Q4.

The actual blood bowl has gone through several revisions over it's 25 years or so as a board game. 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition were made by games workshop, after which they turned maintaining the rules over to the fans, who made the Living RuleBook. LRB is currently up to it's final revision (since GW decided to cut out the people who were maintaining it for them) with LRB6. Fumbbl uses LRB4 and LRB6 rules, depending on which division you're playing in. cyanides BB game uses LRB5. There's a fair amount of changes between LRB4 and 5 (bunch of new skills, mutations no longer require doubles, changes to the Dark Elf, norse, Nurgle, Khemri and Chaos roster. Bunch of new skills. New fouling rules etc). LRB5 and 6 are very similar.

As for computer games, Cyanide made an earlier rip-off called Chaos League. There's also been an official blood bowl computer game back in the 80s, as well as a similar game called Mutant League Football.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
BBLE will have retarded AI, commenters that get stale after one match, the same clunky UI, the same insistence on moving the camer to some default view that only shows half the pitch every turn, unelegant matchmaking, a bunch of idiot kids playing it and still won't properly implement weather or inducement cards.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Of course, most likely these $40 will mean 40 Euros for Polish customers, goddamn. I wonder whether CDProjekt will offer a similar discount for owners of the initial "physical" release (like me)...

Mantiis

Cipher
Got an email saying that I can get 30% off of the game if I have a key for the original. I wonder if it is a phshing scam....

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Despite me loving the game and having bought its key about a week after release, the constant 'fuck you's from Cyanide and Focus will keep me from wasting any money for their LE. I will seed the fuck out of that game in revenge.

Topher

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
BBLE will be the only good strategy game this year :salute:
(apart from Victoria 2 when they'll fix it)

Which will be soon I hope.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
fixthefuckingmultiplayerfixthefuckingmultiplayerfixthefuckingmultiplayerohgodpleasepleasepleasefixthegoddamnfuckingmultiplayer

Multi-headed Cow

Fix the singleplayer so herp derpers such as myself can have a better time playing alone in their underwear!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Grunker said:
fixthefuckingmultiplayerfixthefuckingmultiplayerfixthefuckingmultiplayerohgodpleasepleasepleasefixthegoddamnfuckingmultiplayer

This. For all of the game's faults, the multi-player was still fun... when it worked. There absolutely needs to be a way to replay matches in tournaments and an option to wait longer to give the other player time to reconnect if he loses connection. It's extremely frustrating to lose a game you're winning because of their crappy servers. I remember a game in our last tourney where I won because the other player lost connection before the first damn turn. Ugh.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Grunker said:

This. For all of the game's faults, the multi-player was still fun... when it worked. There absolutely needs to be a way to replay matches in tournaments and an option to wait longer to give the other player time to reconnect if he loses connection. It's extremely frustrating to lose a game you're winning because of their crappy servers. I remember a game in our last tourney where I won because the other player lost connection before the first damn turn. Ugh.

Yeah... That was me...

Is it really so hard, to save the game-state on both computers on a crash? That would enable both players to re-connect at any time. The tourney leader could specify at time and date when all games should be over, and just set the score to 0-0 if the game hasn't been played by then.

It is so frustrating. Here is a good game - the first game to REALLY stick to it's paper-based "father's" rules in a long time. It implements everything blood-bowl almost flawlessly.

And then it get absolutely destroyed by non-gameplay related stuff like weird bugs and the most horrid multiplayer facilities imaginable :(

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pmcc wrote:
Private Leagues will have more features like the possibility to cancel an already played match: doing so reverts earned SPPs and the two teams can play again.

Well, at least we'll be able to replay matches, though that does nothing to ease the frustration of a crash/disconnection on the last turn of a match. They better have more than that.

From reading the forums, it sounds like they're making a lot of good changes. There's UI changes to annoying things like the apothecary selection, and you'll be able to see player skills during important events like selecting dice. Optional skills will actually be optional. There will be full inducements, so you can actually purchase something when you have less than 100k in inducements. And, surprisingly, they'll be updating the rules to LRB6. Even more surprsing, they will be patching the original and updating the ruleset to LRB6.

I'm still going to be waiting until after release to decide if I'll pick it up or not. Improved multi-player is a must for me.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
There are a few amusing threads on BB forums about people agreeing to pay in $, being charged in Euros (or being charged a few times) etc. The "discount" they offered seems to be a risky business; I'll most likely wait for the boxed version.

Mantiis

Cipher
Will there be some modifications on the online private league system?
We have done a lot of changes in this department:
• Introducing Commissioners – A league admin can assign Commissioners to help administrate the private league.
• Validation - Games need to be validated by a Commissioner once they have been played.
• Reset of Matches - Games can be reset by a Commissioner
• Set Score - Commissioners can set the score for a match. Awarding someone a win, 2d6 Winnings + 2 MVPs, if one of the coaches could not show up. MNG players will come back after an administered game.
• Seeding Manager - If you are not happy with the seeding, you can swap teams around in each section of the competition, i.e. the Division, Group and the Play-off stage.
• Participants - And lastly we have upped the cap to a maximum of 140 coaches participating in a Private League.
• GUI - Additionally to the above we have changed the GUI for the Lobby, making it easier to find & follow Private Leagues' Standings, Statistics, Calendar, Hall of Fame etc.

Sounds good so far...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom