Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Morgoth, May 2, 2014.

1. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    The need to cut pizzas?

Gehrman through and through, unless we're talking strictly NPCs, then I'll withhold my vote since I actually forgot about the NPCs in the DLC

^ Top  
  2. mediocrepoet First disciple of Mediocrites Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You guessed the winner of both rounds? I figured they were going to do a best of, so I only guessed one winner. I was right for round one, but not for round two since different hunters won.

^ Top  
  3. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Nah just first round. I'm not so autistic to keep watching past that. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Fatty Augur

Fatty
    Winner of the first round was certainly no surprise. That fucking prick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Talby Arcane Patron

Talby
    Codex USB, 2014
    The winner was me, I killed all of them.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. mogwaimon Magister

mogwaimon
    i don't even use the saw part of the whirligig all that much, just the club is more than enough for most things thanks to the S-tier scaling on STR. even Kirkhammer and Ludwig's can't manage that for some reason

^ Top  
  7. Akratus II Learned Patron

Akratus II

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    Shamelessly stole a PS5 and rather than play any PS5 games on it I did the sensible thing and dove into Bloodborne. Game's cool so far. Not sure I'd put it as GREATEST SOULSLIKE EVER MADE GAME OF THE DECADE but it's good stuff. Haven't died (Yet) which I'm surprised by since I'm playing offline because fuck paying for multiplayer (So no messages warning me about shit) and I'm completely spoiler-free, ran shrieking past that first werewolf and those peasants when I didn't have any weapons and eventually bonfired away and got my goodies, spastically fell off a rafter when cutting down a body in that church or whatever and nearly died from the fall plus rats, wandered around completely lost, bumbled into cleric beast and managed to kill it with only two sippies of bloody d left. Gonna get whacked eventually but that was some tense shit.

:kingcomrade:

I am also surprised how much I'm enjoying the combat since I always have a lot more fun being a fatass knight in Souls games rather than DEX nerds, but I'm leaning toward strength in this too and there's often a point in Souls games where I ditch the shield in favor of two-handing so that's not too dissimilar since I'm two-handing the newbie axe.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    It is the most... tight game of the series. Doesn't have a weak area.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I don't know. The weapon distribution is bad, especially when taking the dlc in mind.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. D_X Ridi, Pagliaccio Patron

D_X
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    How so? I think the game has somewhat of a bias towards skill weapons, but I wouldn't say it's bad.

^ Top  
  12. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What I mean is that half the weapon are found in the last 10% (the dlc). At that point you'll likely already have a +10 weapon you are comfortable with. The base game has a few too few weapons as well imo, but it's not a big problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Yep, weapon distribution is indeed bad. As it is, most show up so late they are more appropriate for veteran playthroughs where you know exactly where they are and how to snipe-pick them.

That said, I agree BB is the tighter in the series. It's level progression is sweet, you always have at least a couple paths to follow (sometimes more), the world interconnects like DS1, trick-weapons are fun, the lore is interesting, etc. No Izalith here.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ventidius Savant

Ventidius
    Weapon distribution is mostly skewed for Skill builds. Strength and Arcane do okay. Even in the case of Skill, you've still got more than enough fine options from very early on, the problem is that when you consider all of the options that are in the game for that path, the way they are spread out is very inefficient and seems like a wasted opportunity.

Nevertheless, part of the reason why the issue stands out so much in the first place is that by the endgame you still have more nasty weapon options for Skill builds than perhaps you have for any kind of build in these games. And that, at least, is a good thing.

^ Top  
  15. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    You Skill nerds need to have a talk with my DickKirkhammer

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Ventidius , are you sure weapon distribution is skewed towards skill? I don't know, as a Skill fag I always thought Str/Quality have more options.

Regardless, I find Str/quali builds have an easier time in BB, as they can brutalize enemies and bosses easier than Skl builds. They even start with one of the best weapons in the game in the Hunters Axe.

^ Top  
  17. deem Learned

deem
    • Funny x 11
    • Up Yours x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    Played a bit more now and I'm starting to see the "Tight" argument. Haven't really run into a clinker area or boss yet, though I'm not very far, but the Souls games often will have a few lame areas or bosses so if Bloodborne keeps a consistently high quality then that's nice. Just whacked father Gascan which I may have fucked up because when the fight started I thought OH FUCK THAT WAS THE NAME IN THE MUSIC BOX but I'm a newbie and didn't have it on my quick use items and I sure as hell wasn't going to pull up inventory in a boss fight so I just bonked him repeatedly with my hammer. Since I assume the mother's always dead there I wonder if the music box would've calmed him down and stopped the boss fight so the kid wouldn't have lost both her parents, but RIP. Also told the old lady the cathedral's safe even though it VERY DISTINCTLY DOES NOT FEEL SAFE and I don't trust that hollow fucker. Arguably should've killed him THEN told the old lady to go to the cathedral. Haven't gone back after telling her about it to see if he ate her or if she's mysteriously gone.

Also noticed an area in the sewer/aqueduct I can't seem to reach, I would kind of assume I'm supposed to access it in that general area but maybe it works around and connects from the cathedral.

Dickhammer SO GOOD. The fast sword is nice for trash enemies and then the hammer's great for maximum bonking. I did notice that the hammer-mode seemed to do absolutely trash damage to some werewolves (That pair up on the walkway by the cleric beast) but I'm not sure if they genuinely have a resistance to blunt or if I was just getting grazing hits, since I switched to the sword on them and was doing basically the same damage as with the hammer.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    It's most likely due to not hitting them with the 'sweet spot' of the hammer, aka the head. This is the standard of the Souls games as far as I know, i.e hitting an enemy with the blade of a Halberd vs. the shaft would deal different damage, full with the former, much less with the latter. Or perhaps you were performing a specific move, I remember the running R1 definitely deals something like 0.9x damage or something.
    Bandai Namco?

Sus

^ Top  
  20. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Don't worry guys, it will definitely come. In some shit remaster that will ruin tone and style.

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Don't give me hope...

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Multi-headed Cow , as for telling characters where to go, there'll be at least two nontrivial cases, you'll see :)

^ Top  
  24. Ventidius Savant

Ventidius
    I mean, you've got: Burial Blade, Rakuyo, Church Pick, Blade of Mercy, Simon's Bowblade, Chikage, Beasthunter Saif. All of those are among the best weapons in the game IMO. Strength definitely has its options too, and probably comes close, but I'd say the selection is somewhat greater with Skill. Also, I'd say the best starting options are pretty solid as well (Threaded Cane and Saw Spear). They don't seem as immediately OP as the Hunter Axe, but the biggest advantage the axe really offers is a (much) lower skill floor. I don't think there is much of a difference between the Axe and the initial Skill options for the experienced player when you consider their more situational advantages throughout the campaign (the Threaded Cane's thrust attack is quite powerful, for example).

Well, I was talking about weaponry options, not sheer power. In terms of power, I'd certainly agree Strength and Strength Quality do better at pretty much every stage of the game, even arguably endgame. The most important variables that are affected by the amount of strong weapon options are player expression and versatility, which are arguably at their best with Skill and Skill Quality, especially considering that Skill weapons are often more distinct from each other than Strength ones. The Bowblade, BoM, and Burial Blade, for example, all work in drastically different ways, and they can all be used with a pure Skill build. A Skill Quality build can also use most Skill weaponry, except for stuff like Chikage (since that requires BT investment), including most of the options I mentioned above.

For the record, I personally prefer Strength and Strength Quality myself.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    Everything was smooth sailing until bloodstarved beast. Even the jackass with the gatling gun up on the clocktower wasn't too bad, but flapping poisonous roast beef is one horror too far. Will manage it at some point but burned 2 or 3 insight on a sunbro and don't feel like losing even more. Weaknesses appear to be fire and parrying, gotten it down to around a quarter life a couple times so I'll get it eventually but it's a pain while it's spazzing around.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.