Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Silva

Arcane
Congrats in beating the game of the generation.
:dance:

Don't know about best DLC ever but Old Hunters is clearly the best DLC in Soulsborne to me. And yeah, the Shark Bros in the well are cancer. I only beat than once, after a dozen or so playthroughs.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Congrats in beating the game of the generation.
:dance:

Don't know about best DLC ever but Old Hunters is clearly the best DLC in Soulsborne to me. And yeah, the Shark Bros in the well are cancer. I only beat than once, after a dozen or so playthroughs.

They still have nothing on Orphan in my books. 10/10, would get beaten to death by placenta again.

Old Hunters has been beating me up. Started playing this I don't remember when, back in November or something, and I've been extremely slowly picking at it. Level 60-something of being a max strength dork and upgrading various weapons to try them since Bloodborne seems pretty generous on the upgrade materials at least for the lower tiers. Current favorite is a big honkin circular saw onna stick since that seems to benefit from massive strength, have good reach, and most important it's not slow as absolute fuck like the hammer. The horse guy was giving me the shits for a while but I did eventually kill him, now I'm at some blobby failed experiments on one side and a big flaming cleric beast on the other since I pieced together that's what I needed the skull for. Still have all kinds of shit to do in the base game too but once I whacked the spider and shit started looking more ominous I figured it was time to do the DLC before I locked myself into beating the game or something.

Still quite enjoying it but after sinking more time in I do prefer the slower pace of Dark Souls. I may not even try Sekiro since Bloodborne's already at my upper limit and it's my understanding that Sekiro's even faster paced.
Edit: Although technically next games on the agenda would be buying and playing the PS5 Demon's Souls and then finally getting around to Elden Ring, but I can't bring myself to nab them until I've knocked Bloodborne on the head.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Bloodborne seems pretty generous on the upgrade materials at least for the lower tiers.
As I remember it bb is very stingy on upgrade materials, especially for the mid and higher tiers. Altough also iirc the dlc contains like double the number of upgrade materials as the rest of the game. But you should be using a +10 in the dlc for your own sanity.

I think the dlc is recommended for level ~100, at least the final area.

Its called Whirlgig Saw.
I actually haven't used that continual mode other than seeing it as I was fucking around just checking out the moves, I probably should give it a try. Been dumping my souls almost entirely into strength though so I may not have enough stamina to saw particularly long. Might be good against easily distracted bosses though, next time I try that lava-filled cleric beast and summon in the buddy I might try it out.

But you should be using a +10 in the dlc for your own sanity.

Well shit. Then I'm grossly underleveled and only using a +8 since I'd been putting everything at +6 since that's where the materials felt reasonably plentiful, then I've spent everything else I've found getting that saw to +8. I know levels aren't really a hardline thing in these games but it does explain why those healthbars last so goddamn much. Guess I preemptively jumped into the DLC as soon as I smacked the spider.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Its called Whirlgig Saw.
I actually haven't used that continual mode other than seeing it as I was fucking around just checking out the moves, I probably should give it a try. Been dumping my souls almost entirely into strength though so I may not have enough stamina to saw particularly long. Might be good against easily distracted bosses though, next time I try that lava-filled cleric beast and summon in the buddy I might try it out.

Well shit. Then I'm grossly underleveled and only using a +8 since I'd been putting everything at +6 since that's where the materials felt reasonably plentiful, then I've spent everything else I've found getting that saw to +8. I know levels aren't really a hardline thing in these games but it does explain why those healthbars last so goddamn much. Guess I preemptively jumped into the DLC as soon as I smacked the spider.

The last parts of the Old Hunters is the hardest content in Bloodborne by far.

I don’t think, despite Whirligig Saw’s strength scaling at S, it matters nearly as much as the blood gems. I beat the Orphan with it (Saw Cleaver just didn’t have the reach, closing, and when extended tracking, for something so spastic) and I buffed up strength a dozen points or so in the meanwhile, didn’t see a huge difference.

OTOH good gems can easily mean 2x difference in damage. That goes exponentially as gems go up to 20 rating, and the most I had with a lengthy play through, was 13 radial and 6 triangle.

I think the biggest problem with the Orphan is that it has 2-3x the health pool of a boss, is “unbreakable” and now that I think of it, can even randomly “cancel” being staggered for some bullshit.

Well shit. Then I'm grossly underleveled and only using a +8 since I'd been putting everything at +6 since that's where the materials felt reasonably plentiful, then I've spent everything else I've found getting that saw to +8.

Are you paying attention to the titanite chunk lizards small black shits scurrying off from you to disappear shortly after, unless hit/killed? That’s where the majority of Chunks come from.

As far as +10 goes, the game provides only one Rock next to Brain of Mensis. Aside from this one, other cost a whopping 60 insight, or you can get it from a custom chalice glyph a la Cum Dungeon. I didn’t see any in DLC.

But generally it’s best to stick to one weapon and perfect its move set. (Which is a problem since most weapons come from the endgame)

mediocrepoet

Patron

Well shit. Then I'm grossly underleveled and only using a +8 since I'd been putting everything at +6 since that's where the materials felt reasonably plentiful, then I've spent everything else I've found getting that saw to +8.

Are you paying attention to the titanite chunk lizards small black shits scurrying off from you to disappear shortly after, unless hit/killed? That’s where the majority of Chunks come from.

As far as +10 goes, the game provides only one Rock next to Brain of Mensis. Aside from this one, other cost a whopping 60 insight, or you can get it from a custom chalice glyph a la Cum Dungeon. I didn’t see any in DLC.

But generally it’s best to stick to one weapon and perfect its move set. (Which is a problem since most weapons come from the endgame)

There's one in the DLC too, but yeah, they're super rare. On the other hand, there are far fewer weapons and all of them are viable, so as long as you pick something that fits your playstyle, you can't really go wrong.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think deep chalices are harder, at least on NG0, but I think they don't scale to NG+ ?
I know levels aren't really a hardline thing in these games but it does explain why those healthbars last so goddamn much
In my experience levels matter more in BB than other souls games, as levels are the primary way to scale your defences and your riposte damage (and ripostes are great).

mediocrepoet

Patron
I think deep chalices are harder, at least on NG0, but I think they don't scale to NG+ ?

Yeah, fair enough. I meant the main content and wasn't even thinking about the chalices, but some of those get pretty gross.

Following the professional advice from this thread I set the DLC aside and went back to exploring the base game some and it's been miles easier. Got attacked by the plague doctor hunter of hunters chick since it looks like she went blood-crazy and explored the warp. Amigdala was a refreshing springtime walk after so much of the DLC. Suppose a large part of my setting it aside was from trying to tackle the DLC so early on and gradually brute forcing my way through since everything's much more forgiving now. The biggest challenge is still feeling that my Fashion Souls is lacking since the old hunter's hat is peak headgear performance but I still feel like the generic hunter's jacket from early game is my preferred chest piece thus far.

I'm hearing so many people online saying stuff like 'yeah Elden Ring is alright, but Bloodborne is their TRUE masterpiece' and I can't help but think... why?

It's a good game, but I don't see what it actually does that's such a brilliant innovation or departure from the others. Demon's Souls is still the one which introduced the formula and practically all its ideas. DS1 is still peerless (in 3D games at least) in marrying that NES-style tight challenging level design with a seamless interconnected world. Bloodborne didn't really add much to what they'd already done imo. The only thing it adds is a slightly more fast paced version of the combat that already existed in those games, with a "rally mechanic" that doesn't actually change much other that making it slightly more viable to R1 spam than it was previously. To me the combat feels weirdly contradictory, like they've taken a system that is inherently about patience, waiting for openings and not spamming attacks, and added a mechanic that's meant to encourage the opposite (even when a lot of the time waiting for openings is still the best option).

Bloodborne for me is like... yeah it has some really great levels, especially early on. There is an impressive dedication to making the world feel "real" and less video gamey (again only early on, like the first level with the mob moving through the streets). Some fantastic unique designs for enemies. It has maybe the second best soundtrack, after the original Demon's Souls ... But all the levels in the second half felt a little lacklustre and cobbled together, all the bosses in the second half felt lacklustre (except the final boss).

When I hear people talk about why they love it so much they usually say things like "It has the best atmosphere of any of the games", and I just don't agree. For me, when I think of great atmosphere in From games I think of levels like Anor Londo in DS1 or the Fountainhead Palace in Sekiro. To me, Bloodborne is like what you'd get if you asked a child to draw what they think is "atmospheric" in crayon. "Look Mum, werewolves and crows and scary spiders and dark victorian buildings and cthulu monsters, so creepy!". When pressed further the Bloodborne lover will say the "story/lore is great". I'll concede that it does seem interesting and unique, but no one can look me in the eye and tell me that a lot of that stuff isn't improvised. All records of From production point to bosses and other shit being massively re-written during the game as it's being re-structured. Bloodborne in particular feels like a bunch of scrambled assets stitched together from mid-game onwards ... jumping into the ocean to fight a spider boss, really? Oh, "it's all a dream" ... how convenient...

I'm planning to play it again soon, and go through the DLC (didn't get that far into it, and I know a lot of people say it elevates the game), but until then I think it's like the fifth best From game from 2009 - now. Good game, just not that good

SumDrunkGuy

The only thing keeping Bloodborne from being my favorite game ever basically is it feeling too stripped down. Coming off Dark Souls and especially 2 this just feels like a stupid action game with extremely mild RPG elements sort of like the new God of War. That was initially a big turn off.

From a audio/visual and storytelling standpoint I don't think anything really comes close and I have learned to love it despite it being more action oriented. The combat is still solid so that helps.

Melmoth

Educated
I'm hearing so many people online saying stuff like 'yeah Elden Ring is alright, but Bloodborne is their TRUE masterpiece' and I can't help but think... why?

elden ring is as much of departure from dark souls as bloodborne was. the complaints i see from the codex are mainly to suggest that its a degenerate experience and derivative at best (which is probably not unfair but from have always borrowed shamelessly from themselves and others).

for normies the high fantasy themes seem to fit an ideal of an rpg or adventure game that they had always wanted to play. I think the overall presentation (and the berserk referanzs) are basically the best elements. its clear fromsoft are experimenting with pacing but in very much the opposite way from bloodborne (dense, arresting and rapid experience). The horse and the overworld give everything an expanded context and one that is outwardly more consumer friendly, but disquieting in how languid and player driven it can be.

in other words elden ring is a vibe

the real issue is that there is little driving gameplay innovation like there was in bloodborne or sekiro that matches the thematic execution. bloodborne had trick weapons and guns and quickstepping. sekiro had stealth and prosthetics and deathblows and jumping and mikiri counters and lightning reversal and martial arts skill trees and grappling hooks and swimming. elden ring has a horse and picking plants. and crafting. its like hippie souls.

SumDrunkGuy

Lol why is this guy comparing Sekiro to Elden Ring? It's nothing more than a twitchy action game and the worst thing From Software has made in a long time. Sekiro has the most one-note combat of any AAA action game too. You have one sword and you just parry guys, WHOO!

I consider Sekiro fans to be the lepers of the Soulsborne fanbase. They tried desperately to hang out with us and wanted to be like us but ultimately they had to be shipped off to an island away from civilization.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silva

Arcane
Bloodborne for me is like... yeah it has some really great levels, especially early on. There is an impressive dedication to making the world feel "real" and less video gamey (again only early on, like the first level with the mob moving through the streets). Some fantastic unique designs for enemies. It has maybe the second best soundtrack, after the original Demon's Souls ... But all the levels in the second half felt a little lacklustre and cobbled together, all the bosses in the second half felt lacklustre (except the final boss).

So Fishing Village, Ludwig the Accursed, Lady Maria and Orphan of Kos are supposedly "a little lackluster"? While those spastic helicopter hit-kill bosses and late game copypasta from ER are great?

:hmmm:

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Orphan of Kos was cool because it gave the illusion that he was growing stronger as you fought him. Fuck the phase shit where you get a boss down to 50% health or whatever, cutscene plays, and the fight is suddenly different. Boss cutscenes are boner-killers.

So Fishing Village, Ludwig the Accursed, Lady Maria and Orphan of Kos are supposedly "a little lackluster"? While those spastic helicopter hit-kill bosses and late game copypasta from ER are great?

:hmmm:

I have already said that I haven't played the Bloodborne DLC fully, I'm willing to give it a go and see if it changes my opinion of the game as a whole. Base game Bloodborne just feels way weaker than the first half imo. I also didn't say anything about Elden Ring being 'great'.

Lol why is this guy comparing Sekiro to Elden Ring? It's nothing more than a twitchy action game and the worst thing From Software has made in a long time. Sekiro has the most one-note combat of any AAA action game too. You have one sword and you just parry guys, WHOO!

I consider Sekiro fans to be the lepers of the Soulsborne fanbase. They tried desperately to hang out with us and wanted to be like us but ultimately they had to be shipped off to an island away from civilization.

I have noticed this: all people who complain about Sekiro online are people who struggled with it and found it too difficult. There is no exception to this rule. It's the ultimate filter out of all From Soft games. To this day you STILL see people crying over it, usually because they were punished horribly for trying to play it like Dark Souls and never fully recovered. It's beautiful to see. Especially considering it's so easy once you get the hang of it

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
I have noticed this: all people who complain about Sekiro online are people who struggled with it and found it too difficult. There is no exception to this rule. It's the ultimate filter out of all From Soft games. To this day you STILL see people crying over it, usually because they were punished horribly for trying to play it like Dark Souls and never fully recovered. It's beautiful to see. Especially considering it's so easy once you get the hang of it
You know that's a garbage argument.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom