Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Bloom: Memories - a new kind of action adventure RPG by Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
Woo, penny arcade did an article on me / bloom / transyness!! :)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...uld-be-transgender-gamers-share-their-stories

The combat, while interesting, just doesn't seem fun to me, and I'm not interested in an adventure game with combat I'd perceive as a constant nuisance.

It will be fun if you like real-time combat :) And there will be puzzles (puzzles!). Or you could just support for the art, I would be ok with that too :)

Diablo169

Arcane
I wasn't talking about the Codex promoting it, rather the developer continuing to post here as recently as today. We certainly aren't the target audience at all...

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
I wasn't talking about the Codex promoting it, rather the developer continuing to post here as recently as today. We certainly aren't the target audience at all...

The codex likes RPGs. Which is to say, games with heavier focus on character and story. I think a lot of the codex would enjoy Bloom (those who don't mind something that is real time combat of course).

RPG games aren't simply about character sheets and DnD dice ~_~ It is like saying your love of cookies come from them being round (instead of the taste of the cookie). For some, sure, maybe the roundness is what they love in cookies....but there are PLENTY of people who would really appreciate an amazingly delicious square cookie too.

Cool name

Arcane
RPG games aren't simply about character sheets and DnD dice ~_~ It is like saying your love of cookies come from them being round (instead of the taste of the cookie). For some, sure, maybe the roundness is what they love in cookies....but there are PLENTY of people who would really appreciate an amazingly delicious square cookie too.

Someone do please make a fighting game like 'vs' screen with The Fawn vs Mondblut on his aspect as Shiva.

circ

Arcane
I clicked on some link and it lead me to some Kickstarter thing. And suddenly I'm seeing a woman with male pronouns. And I'm confused. Is this some codex thing?

Story can suck my nuts. Unless it's really horrible. I like inventories full of sweet sweet loot and dressing up and decapitating people. And perks. I like perks.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
ah, right.
well the codex has been the # one (sometimes two, sometimes three) source of community-directed hits to (RPG) kickstarters. not to mention the community drives we have done for a few selected titles.
so from that perspective, it makes sense.
but from a 'target audience' perspective... I don't know. the game has cool art. for that reason, I kinda like it. but the RPG elements seem rather shallow. on the other hand, we recently published another bioshock review, so...

I guess not every game can be Chaos Chronicles or something and be a full-on, full-frontal, full-nudity 100% interest match with the codex.

EG

Nullified

The codex likes RPGs. Which is to say, games with heavier focus on character and story. I think a lot of the codex would enjoy Bloom (those who don't mind something that is real time combat of course).

Alright, a real reply, eh? What you just described is Half-Life. A game that includes no character creation, management (in the sense of levels, skill points, traits, attributes .etc) and doesn't require DnD roles. Even Diablo at least can be considered a token RPG because of this. Strip out the basic character creation | management and what little random chance (if any) combat offers in Diablo, and you're left with ... well, I guess, a single-character RTS.

You have an adventure game with Diablo style ("Oh God, My Motherly Love bar is going to run out!") RTS combat, no matter how much you dress it up in symbolism or great art. :(

And, if you had billed it as purely an adventure game without the RTS, I wouldn't have any hesitation -- because I love adventure games . . . They're the sort of game I'll pay for both the art and the story rather than the combat, character creation, dialog .etc. But nothing will move me towards buying a hybrid that can't make up its mind.

(I did go back over your updates to try and determine if I over-looked something, but it doesn't appear that I have. I'm sorry if I've misrepresented your game through my own ignorance.)

Diablo169

Arcane
Yeah I find the art kinda unique as well, it's just a real shame I have absolutely zero interest playing the game as its described. Another concept and setting wasted on shit gameplay.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
Alright, a real reply, eh? What you just described is Half-Life. A game that includes no character creation, management (in the sense of levels, skill points, traits, attributes .etc) and doesn't require DnD roles. Even Diablo at least can be considered a token RPG because of this. Strip out the basic character creation | management and what little random chance (if any) combat offers in Diablo, and you're left with ... well, I guess, a single-character RTS.

You have an adventure game with Diablo style ("Oh God, My Motherly Love bar is going to run out!") RTS combat, no matter how much you dress it up in symbolism or great art. :(

And, if you had billed it as purely an adventure game without the RTS, I wouldn't have any hesitation -- because I love adventure games . . . They're the sort of game I'll pay for both the art and the story rather than the combat, character creation, dialog .etc. But nothing will move me towards buying a hybrid that can't make up its mind.

(I did go back over your updates to try and determine if I over-looked something, but it doesn't appear that I have. I'm sorry if I've misrepresented your game through my own ignorance.)

RTS = Real time strategy? No no, I wouldn't say it was that.

I think there is a big zone between half-life and traditional RPGs. There actually is management and character differentiation during the game (for example, one of the themes through the entire game is the main character trying to fix itself), but it doesn't happen through artificial systems like levels and exp. Instead we use different metrics to make it fit into the game a bit better.. and a lot are simply what you uncover during game play (so, you don't learn a new ability by just grinding 100 rats, you learn it through some meaningful encounter or discovery). Also, considering how the game isn't structured in a strict railroad style (instead favoring optional branching design), this means you actually feel like you found something (as apposed to just being given a piece of candy for going through 14 percent of the game).

Basically, we aren't trying to just fit some mold of the "established forms of a game". You say it is "a hybrid that can't make up its mind", but I'm not sure that is true. Everything we are doing is towards the same clear goal ...to tell the story.

We feel the game play and design are extremely powerful tools in telling a story... and we look for ways to take advantage of this wherever we can (even if that means going "off script" of whatever genre you put us in). For example, what I explained about about the skills. Yea, normal games say "100 exp = level up = select from some magic skill pool"... or "100 exp = level up = designated ability granted". I just think blindly following those cliche designs is such a shame...because it is missing out on such HUGE opportunity.

Diablo's story was.....meh. The story was pretty 2ndary to the game play. It was more about just mindlessly running around killing a crap-ton of monsters and finding all sorts of phat lewts... with some half-assed story about the devil to try and tie it together (devil is bad, go kill him and fight all this stuff in your way :D :D). We are definitellyyy not trying to follow in those footsteps.

If anything, we are going more adventure style with lots of discovery and a heavier emphasis on story. Snappy real time combat with some puzzle points. Also, not everything is accomplished through hitting things (or , at least we offer a wide range of non-combat and deeper options through the game). So, while you are welcome to just run through it and hit everything till it stops moving... there will be a lot of cool things for people who take a little more thoughtful approach to playing and take advantage of the observational tools (such as in the bridge).

It is what it is :) Definitely not for everyone. But I think you will be surprised when it gets finished ;) The biggest mistake would be just dismissing it as "just another ___" ...because, well, we are going the extra mile to make sure this is something more than that :)

I clicked on some link and it lead me to some Kickstarter thing. And suddenly I'm seeing a woman with male pronouns. And I'm confused. Is this some codex thing?

admiral_ackbar_says_its_a_trap.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I backed the project before, but I'd do so now I would really like to know more about gameplay... I mean i just cannot see action RPG hybrid meshing with the thematic scope this game aims for. The gameplay itself cannot support that...

EG

Nullified
RTS = Real time strategy? No no, I wouldn't say it was that.
You call it an "action adventure RPG," so frankly I don't put much stock on what you personally feel your game is.

It's just the same marketing bullshit that pissed people off, right here, when this thread was originally created.

But, by all means: Keep trying to set things right.

I think there is a big zone between half-life and traditional RPGs.
Thats the point. A vast, distant, wasteland between what makes RPGs an RPG and what makes Half-Life a FPS, with a basic story strapped onto its rump.

. . . one of the themes through the entire game is the main character trying to fix itself . . . and a lot are simply what you uncover during game play . . . you learn it through some meaningful encounter or discovery . . . branching.

Great. Let's reinterate: No matter how much you dress things up in symbolism, it's still a basic mechanic. A mechanic that would fit wonderfully in an adventure game, but makes no sense in an "RPG."

You have a tight narrative structure that you want the player to experience, some branching or not.

Basically, we aren't trying to just fit some mold of the "established forms of a game". You say it is "a hybrid that can't make up its mind", but I'm not sure that is true. Everything we are doing is towards the same clear goal ...to tell the story.
Too fucking bad.

We feel the game play and design are extremely powerful tools in telling a story...
Too fucking bad.

Diablo's story was.....meh. The story was pretty 2ndary to the game play. It was more about just mindlessly running around killing a crap-ton of monsters and finding all sorts of phat lewts... with some half-assed story about the devil to try and tie it together (devil is bad, go kill him and fight all this stuff in your way :D :D). We are definitellyyy not trying to follow in those footsteps.
And you're giving us half-assed gameplay, with a good story.

Snappy real time combat with some puzzle points.

RTS.

Strapped haphazard to an adventure game.

Also, not everything is accomplished through hitting things (or , at least we offer a wide range of non-combat and deeper options through the game). So, while you are welcome to just run through it and hit everything till it stops moving... there will be a lot of cool things for people who take a little more thoughtful approach to playing and take advantage of the observational tools (such as in the bridge).

That's great.

It is what it is

That's right.

it's not what you're marketing it as.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
. . . one of the themes through the entire game is the main character trying to fix itself . . . and a lot are simply what you uncover during game play . . . you learn it through some meaningful encounter or discovery . . . branching.

Great. Let's reinterate: No matter how much you dress things up in symbolism, it's still a basic mechanic. A mechanic that would fit wonderfully in an adventure game, but makes no sense in an "RPG."

I don't quite understand the objection to this?

Instead of just having a character screen which you drop "pants of +5 defense", we have a system where you can tinker with yourself to get effects (but instead of just being lazy and saying "+5 arm of defense" , we work it into the game and make upgrading yourself more meaningful and try to have that bit of game-play continue the narrative of the game ...)

And to you. That is just a "basic mechanic that makes no sense in an "RPG"....

Just having a random generated loot table of 1000's of pants of defense is better in your eyes than a system that tries to fit into the game play and tell a story?

I don't know, personally I never feel that amazed by the random generated loot (or sifting through bags full of vendor trash in a "true rpg"). It seems lazy to me.... sure, min/maxing and number crunching is kewl sometimes (getting a +5 pair of pants instead of the +4 you have on makes you feel like you did something! Even if it is completely meaningless and just designed to make you feel like you are advancing when you really aren't doing much).

Hummm, ok, now I'm pretty confused what you think an RPG is (or what it can be). Is it really just spreadsheets and tons of empty "options" (infinate pants possibilities!!!) the game throws at you?

I'm focusing on the other type of RPG. Where you Play the Role in a Game... feel like you are them, and are made to connect with their story (not just through reading pages of text, but through game play and music and story and flow). Not all RPG's need to be giant avatar sandboxes with empty combat you grudgingly wade through to get to the next "story treat" as you fill up your bags with a variety of pants ~_~

Look, I know "the old school" is really fun. I grew up playing DnD and a variety of RPGs online (ultima one of my favorites). The entire character sheet and tons of loot drops and all that is great. BUT, I also think there is room for trying new stuff. Taking those things, pushing them a bit further. Pushing how the game mechanics reinforce the story and make the entire game a cohesive experience (instead of disjointed systems crammed together).

Yea, the combat isn't "old school rpg" ... it is adventure game snappy type of play. But the story? the world? the way you move through the game and become attached to your character and the world you are in? That is DEFINITELY here. That was always one of the biggest "RPG" aspects for me, how they made me start to connect with the character and the world and get caught up in the story.... not just the character sheet and pairs of pants options I had in my backpacks ~_~

Also, whyyyy do you keep using RTS?? Real time strategy is like age of empires?? I've never hear it used to a single player action adventure???

FeelTheRads

Arcane
we work it into the game and make upgrading yourself more meaningful and try to have that bit of game-play continue the narrative of the game ...)

All you're doing is gimmicks. Like Bethesda insisting on integrating character creation in the "narrative". It's retarded and it's not gameplay.

I don't know, personally I never feel that amazed by the random generated loot (or sifting through bags full of vendor trash in a "true rpg"). It seems lazy to me.... sure, min/maxing and number crunching is kewl sometimes (getting a +5 pair of pants instead of the +4 you have on makes you feel like you did something! Even if it is completely meaningless and just designed to make you feel like you are advancing when you really aren't doing much).

Yeah, continue to deride RPGs and claim what you're doing is so much better. This will get you far and all of the Codex will buy your game.

I'm focusing on the other type of RPG. Where you Play the Role in a Game... feel like you are them, and are made to connect with their story

MAXIMUM EMOSHUNAL IMPACT!!!!

No, thanks. Seek employment at Bioware, you'd fit right in.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
I backed the project before, but I'd do so now I would really like to know more about gameplay... I mean i just cannot see action RPG hybrid meshing with the thematic scope this game aims for. The gameplay itself cannot support that...

Basically, every aspect of the game play is designed to keep pushing the story forward. The way we design the abilities (draining from your own life so you feel weaker, overpowered, the underdog)...even down to the organic life / powerup system (putting it into the context of the linked heart mechanic which also carries through to story elements and other game play).

Action RPG can definitely fit into the thematic scope... it just means making sure everything continues to reinforce this narrative the game is telling (the music, game play, art). Even the abilities you learn aren't just tacked on through some magic skill-tree you just have access to.... instead, every ability is woven into the game and when you get one, it has meaning behind it (instead of just "i spent 4 points to unlock push_2").

Yea, you definitely don't see this much (at all?). Because, well, simply they don't care. They make the game as "just a fun time"...make a loose combat system, throw in a couple time sinks to pad out game play, throw in a story to kind of run you around... but they don't consider (or approach) the game as a single experience they are trying to create. They don't focus on the story and think of everything they do as possibilities for continuing and reinforcing that story.

There is a TON of possiblity for an action RPG to play a thematic experience (not with a ton of cutscenes either ~_~).

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
we work it into the game and make upgrading yourself more meaningful and try to have that bit of game-play continue the narrative of the game ...)

All you're doing is gimmicks. Like Bethesda insisting on integrating character creation in the "narrative". It's retarded and it's not gameplay.

Lol yea, I should just make a turned base diablo :P Cuz, wtf story.

I like my story like I like my books! ...Books! :D

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You call it an "action adventure RPG," so frankly I don't put much stock on what you personally feel your game is.

RTS.

Strapped haphazard to an adventure game.
I think they're going for Zelda like gameplay. Most people call Zelda an RPG.

Diablo169

Arcane
Zelda is an action adventure series. Any RPG elements it had vanished a long time ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom