Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bombshell - isometric shooter starring that cut character from Duke Nukem Forever

Riskbreaker

Once again making a game worse than it appears because they weren't bribed.
Do take a look at that LGR's review from the last page: man is actually trying his best to to find something, anything likable about this game, and yet it still looks like utterly boring shite.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/353190/announcements/detail/920226901599525649

Hi Guys!

Fred from Interceptor here.

First of all, I want to thank all of you for buying Bombshell. We're extremely grateful for all the feedback and support. Running a small indie studio, trying to make big games is not always easy, but we remain committed to keep leveling-up as a team!

We've been going through every single review and comment about Bombshell we could find. What we’ve noticed is that users generally like the game, while career reviewers generally dislike the game. And within those two groups, there’s some really valid overlap in criticism that I think we definitely could have done better.

Where it went wrong and what we're doing about it!

Below is what we're going to be working on the next 4 weeks. We already have the first hotfix ready, which should auto-download for those of you who own the game right now.

Expectations: Some reviewers were expecting to be playing a “Diablo in space.” Ever since previewers started comparing us to some really great ARPG’s, we sort of ran with that comparison because of how flattering it was. But our RPG elements are super lightweight by comparison to most other ARPG’s, and so moving forward we’re going to work harder to set expectations more accurately. This is an action-shooter with weapon progression.

Difficulty. For 1.1 we're going to unlock Hard mode right from the beginning, while making the Normal mode slightly more forgiving. Hopefully this will allow more people to get past the first boss and experience the other 2/3'rds of the game! :slightly_smiling:

"Filler". We wanted to create huge environments, and massive worlds. What we ended up with instead were too few missions with too little variety, presented in a manner that ended up feeling too monotonous at times. It’s clear we have a fun little action game in here, but it’s bogged down by a lot of this unnecessary “filler.”

Boss Battles. They’re are either too hard, or too easy to exploit. In this hotfix, the Abomination has been tuned a bit to be more balanced and fair. Let us know what you think. And in 1.1 we're completely overhauling the bosses to be more more fun, and less frustrating in general.

One-Liners & Executions. In this hotfix, we've removed some of the more obnoxious one-liners, and we made executions happen less frequently.These things are supposed to feel fun/funny, special, or memorable when they happen. But when they happen too often, it’s just annoying.

Achievements and general bugs have now been fixed as well. Achievements that didn’t work previously, will unlock automatically when you load your profile (if you unlocked them during gameplay). The total changelist from the review copies up until this patch, has more than 200 bugs fixed and implemented. We're still doing our postmortem, and as soon as we have a detailed list of what we're going to do for 1.1, I'll update you guys in here.

Thank you for the support guys! This is the most ambitious title our small team has undertaken to date, and we’ve learned a LOT! Your kind messages and constructive critiques go a long way toward making Bombshell better, and we love you for it!

:slightly_smiling:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Played this moar, got to 2nd planet.

To put it short, I'd still say that fucking up a shooter like this is next to impossible, and Bombshell still manages to be at least net entertaining.

But it has one ugly cardinal sin - it's just too fucking easy and there's not enough action. That is to say, what's the point of having those slow-ass shambling enemies that hit you in melee when they aren't accompanied by ranged enemies? What is the point of singular big dudes when they die to one railgun shot? What is the point of a group of 5 mooks when they can't even hurt you?

Now, if all those were actually, you know, combined into big mobs of shootas, mooks, big dudes, kamikazes, dudes that morph into tougher forms if not killed fast enough, this game would have been really good. But otherwise, you just keep running around one-shotting groups of dudes that rarely exceed 5 with your railgun and that's it. There are barely a handful of moments where you get mobbed more than usual, and those actually do force you into using the odd medkit or switching to a rocket launcher.

but as it is now... I dunno. It would be worth a spin if it cost $15. But at $35 it's a fucking joke.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Entirely their fault they marketed it as an arpg when all it is merely a higher budget Alien/Zombie/Whatever Shooter.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i've actually finished this

the last chapter was hilariously buggy

- at one point i had to restart a level because i couldnt pick up one of the 4 shits needed to progress (fortunately it was the first one and i realised quite quickly that it was bugged so i didnt have that much to repeat)
- another time i had to restart the level when i couldnt tap the button necessary to progress
- at another point the game decided to reset my xp to 0, meaning i stopped levelling and couldnt unlock any new gun upgrades for the rest of the game (not much of a big deal since railgun + triple shot on your basic waffe is everything that you'll ever need and these come relatively fast)
- then some time later the game refused to let me pick up the last of the 8 guns available in the arsenal (not a big deal because see above)
- kept falling through the floor many times, especialy in elevators
- i once got absorbed by the wall and had to reload checkpoint

fun times

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://gamasutra.com/view/pressrele...LUDES_FREE_SHELLSHOCKDOWNLOADABLE_CONTENT.php

Aalborg, Denmark (March 15, 2016) -- Legendary games publisher 3D Realms and indie game development partner Interceptor Entertainment are offering the first Bombshell downloadable content (DLC) completely free of charge, included in the first major game update since the game launched late January.

"We wanted to show our appreciation for the fans that stood by us from day 1 with Bombshell" said 3D Realms CEO Mike Neilsen. "The game wasn't perfect at launch, but our partners at Interceptor remained committed to creating fun and memorable experiences in their games -- and that's an ideal 3D Realms supports."

Bombshell is on sale for 33%-OFF the MSRP of $34.99 all this week, and is available for purchase on Steam, GOG.com, Green Man Gaming, and the Humble store.

Addressing mixed critical reviews at launch, Interceptor Entertainment's CEO and Creative Director Frederik Schreiber said: "It's true, games press was hot or cold with respect to Bombshell. But the game has a 'Mostly Positive' user rating on Steam right now, fluctuating between 70-75%, and it's a relief to see gamers responding more consistently positive. We made this game for gamers, not the critics." He went on to add, "Bombshell is a game we're proud of. And it's an even better game with 1.1, as we've addressed most of the fair and consistent criticisms the game received at launch."

The included Free DLC is known as "Shellshock Missions", and is accessible from the Main Menu. These are retro / arcade style missions that exist completely separate from the core campaign. They pit players against challenges like, killing all enemies using only Abilities, or clearing a zone within 3 minutes. For a more complete list of the changes in 1.1, visit the Bombshell forums at www.bombshell.com .

lolz

Darth Roxor

Alex

Arcane
moar

Upon killing a mini-boss, she says “Yes, teacher, the dog ate my homework, so I killed the dog.” What dog? What homework? Please don’t kill dogs.

you get an assignment to go kill a big quadruped monster that ate a soldier carrying a databook

wot cud dis one-liner be referring to?????

attention span level: gaeming journo+++

Looks like he gave the game as much attention as it deserved...

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
90% off in the Steam Summer Sale. Still not worth playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom