Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 3

Hellion

Arcane
Gameplay-wise BL3 might be the best in the series so far. But the drop in overall humor quality is abysmal, shocking even. About 20 hours in and I must have chuckled only 2-3 times so far.

I mean, humor in BL games was "dumb" and obviously not that sophisticated, but it was always "unapologetically gory and politically incorrect" dumb fun. In BL3 at some point the two main antagonists make fart jokes ffs, it feels a lot more juvenile and "streamlined" compared to BL2.

Jezal_k23

I've actually enjoyed the humor somewhat in BL1. I think the series went downhill when it started feeling really forced, and that feeling increases exponentially every new Borderlands game that comes out. BL2 was really really bad in this sense. Sad to see BL3 is even worse, but that was not unexpected. They keep doubling down on the shit humor in a way that just doesn't work.

sullynathan

Arcane
B. Roughly 250K concurrent players (based on BL2's peak player numbers) is still less players than something like MH World on Steam launch which is embarrassing considering it being a Jap IP.
Monster Hunter World has sold more than half of Borderlands 2 (best selling BL game) in under two years and on less platforms, and Monster Hunter as a franchise has outsold Borderlands as a franchise.

It is really popular and also falls under the whole looting style game regardless of it being a Japanese made game.

How is it embarrasing to have lower numbers than *insert other popular franchise*?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Gameplay-wise BL3 might be the best in the series so far. But the drop in overall humor quality is abysmal, shocking even. About 20 hours in and I must have chuckled only 2-3 times so far.

I mean, humor in BL games was "dumb" and obviously not that sophisticated, but it was always "unapologetically gory and politically incorrect" dumb fun. In BL3 at some point the two main antagonists make fart jokes ffs, it feels a lot more juvenile and "streamlined" compared to BL2.

Considering how bad the writing and humor was in BL2, that's saying something.

abija

Prophet
Monster Hunter World has sold more than half of Borderlands 2 (best selling BL game) in under two years and on less platforms, and Monster Hunter as a franchise has outsold Borderlands as a franchise.
Are you deliberately ignoring that MHW on PC is a 2nd class citizen?

Even so, lower peak numbers on PC than a game who had sold ~ 2 mil units when it hit it's peak doesn't sound that great does it? Why is it same bullshit like with Metro, not releasing clear numbers but some X times more than arbitrary value of arbitrary steam release?

TBH, I think Epic store is the least important aspect. If BL3 doesn't crush BL2 sales numbers it's most likely that Gearbox tarnished their brand way too much and/or their marketing was abysmal.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Never going to touch this game but I'm very interested in getting my hands on the soundtrack as soon as that becomes available.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
B. Roughly 250K concurrent players (based on BL2's peak player numbers) is still less players than something like MH World on Steam launch which is embarrassing considering it being a Jap IP.

It is really popular and also falls under the whole looting style game regardless of it being a Japanese made game.

How is it embarrasing to have lower numbers than *insert other popular franchise*?
Technically speaking, yes MH is a bigger franchise overall but you have to consider it on a PC scale. Up until World came out people on PC only ever had either emulation or Chinese F2P spin offs of the series. Add in the fact that the port of World on PC was delayed by over half a year as well as it initially being pretty messy both in terms of optimization and connecting to other players (at least worse than BL3 overall) and I do think it is embarrassing that a franchise that has been on PC for roughly a decade by now and a company who has overall more experience with that platform failed to reach the numbers of a game from a company who have only really been fully caring about their PC market since just a few years ago (along with that while I don't have statistics, I'm going to go on a limb and say that Borderland's loot shooter systems as well as other aspects of it like the "meme humor" appeals to the general masses a lot more than MH but I could be completely wrong and MH's repetitive cycle can win a lot more people overall).

sullynathan

Arcane
Are you deliberately ignoring that MHW on PC is a 2nd class citizen?

Even so, lower peak numbers on PC than a game who had sold ~ 2 mil units when it hit it's peak doesn't sound that great does it? Why is it same bullshit like with Metro, not releasing clear numbers but some X times more than arbitrary value of arbitrary steam release?

TBH, I think Epic store is the least important aspect. If BL3 doesn't crush BL2 sales numbers it's most likely that Gearbox tarnished their brand way too much and/or their marketing was abysmal.
Yes I'm ignoring that because it isn't that relevant for such a popular game with great demand.

BL2 sales numbers are based on nearly a decade of sales and support. It's very possible for BL3 to reach that especially with multiple dlc and console release for next gen consoles

YldriE

Learned
Completely unrelated, but does anyone here remember Colonial Marines?
Yea it was a 7/10 game.
Before or after you got your Dorito package from Gearbox?
Except it was indeed sort of all right, a typical middle-of-the-road game. If there is one game that should make you dismiss "gaming journalism" and hate bandwagons, this would have to be this one.

I torrented it right at release and it was... all right. Forgettable, play and uninstall. I replayed it the patched version in coop last year and had a similar experience. Worst game ever? Mountains of bugs? Yeah, if you are a gigantic faggot who can copy-paste other people's opinions I can see it.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Gameplay-wise, B3 is clearly - by a stretch - better than BL1/2. Everything is smoother, snappier and better polished. The gunplay is legitimately good (not just 'good for an ARPG' good). Loot is more diverse, with a wider range of modifiers, and the guns run the gamut from ineffectual and boring to amazing. The storyline is basic, but that's par for the course with this series. The player characters are much better fleshed out (from my experience with Zane), with some on-point voice acting. NPCs are a hodge-podge of worn cameos and some interesting newcomers (Typhon/BALEX).

With respect to humour, your mileage will vary. Some people take issue with toilet humour, but I find it hard to judge B3 in that sense; it never pretended to be highbrow comedy. There are definite funny moments, and I did laugh in a few places. People loved Handsome Jack, who was a great villain and had lots of classic lines, so without an analogue in this game (Tyreene and Troy ain't it; they're petty and vicious and unfun) many will see the comedy stylings as a weakness, which is understandable. Look, if you're expecting stand-up comedy with a laugh a minute pace, doubt this game will live up to your expectations. But it's amusing. There are tonnes of really good lines. The comedic timing on show is reasonably strong.

It's a really worthwhile release, if you're into looter shooters. No buyer's regret, here. Second time running the storyline, and it's still enjoyable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When they're good, they're good:

You NEED These Weapons to Fully Enjoy Borderlands 3

If you want to get the most out of Borderlands 3, you've got to gear yourself up. Here's our checklist of must-have weapons!

Weapon 1: A complete lack of taste. We're talking zero ability to distinguish good things from bad. An utter lack of critical thinking.

Weapon 2: Some sort of brain problem that makes you think it's ten years ago, when Borderlands' design was still tremendously flawed, but it felt relatively novel if you hadn't played Hellgate London.

Weapon 3: All-consuming love for DRM that constantly uploads mystery data from your computer. What is all that information? Who knows! Is there any chance Gearbox Software and Randy Pitchford - noted liar willing to screw anyone over for money - are running cryptocurrency miners on your PC or selling your information to a cabal of pervert stage magicians? Nah, they'd have to be pretty scummy to do something like that!

Weapon 4: The thought "Well, it's fun to play with friends" eternally bouncing around your bouncy skull without once colliding with the thought "Literally any video game is fun to play with friends, even one with disembodied cameras moving around inside an untextured box".

Weapon 5: Appreciation for a good art style paired with an indifference to the fact that said art was stolen. Not inspired by something similar, but ripped off whole cloth from an artist Gearbox talked to then declined to hire.

That's basically the only noteworthy thing about this series. And they stole it like it was Sega's cash, or funds diverted to Randy Pitchford's personal account, or the money that Gearbox employees should have been paid for voice acting.

Weapon 6: An affinity for plodding character movement, second-rate floaty Halo jumping, pointless skill trees, and loot tables with billions of supposed possibilities that result a handful of interesting items.

Weapon 7: A big old boner for characters who say WACKY ZANY THINGS and then you find out they went through tragedy. Ah, two dimensions. That's how you make three dimensional characters!

Weapon 8: A strong gag reflex that can withstand troubling images such as these:

bl3.jpg

ctstalker~vga-icon-pc.gif
Borderlands 3

A desultory tug on the cash cow's udder. 4/10

orcinator

Liturgist
When they're good, they're good:

All I remember from SA"s video game articles are that one time the dude praised Kingdoms of Amalur and there was an editor's note saying it sucks.
There's a lot more to fit that pattern and this means that maybe Borderlands 3 is actually good and we should all go buy it and kill some NOGs.
Then refund it and still be able to play the game like that one streamer did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom