Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 3

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
That's what puzzles me. Why are humor games always so lame and tame? I have yet to play a single game that doesn't feel like grandpa trying to play the kool kid.

The "midget" change is really a textbook case: when you get trashtalk as a comedian, you double down, and if you must change, do it in a way that doesn't show you cowering. They... just changed it. Because it was offensive. In Borderlands.

What a real non-faggot comedian would have done:
- Have an NPC complain in-game that "midget" is an offensive term
- Like that Borderlands 2 quest, have the player kill a number of them to try out a new name
- The first half of the quest should be something overly long and retarded, like "person of short stature exhibiting signs of unfriendly behavior". Bonus point as a metajoke if the name fucks up the interface
- Second half is the new name, quest done when you return
- Both sides satisfied

Few things break the spell as much as a comedian backpedaling and apologizing.

You expect things like "effort" and "humor" from the Borderlands devs.

abija

Prophet
So much info provided yet somehow carefully avoided PC sales numbers.

Keep living in that dreamland, bro.
What dreamland? I expected it to sell well regardless of epic store or whatever. I'm aware most people don't give a fuck, they just want their anticipated game.

But when I see only "doctored" info like that, I'm starting to think real numbers aren't impressive at all.

This is what they said about Battleborn btw:
"Ultimately Borderlands [was an] extremely successful new game for us, and even Borderlands 1 went on to sell, I think, almost 7, 8 million units in its lifetime," he said. "Battleborn is actually tracking just ahead of where Borderlands was on the sales, and we think it's going to be a game that is going to work like that. A decent, solid launch. We're seeing steady and growing user counts on all three platforms, and hoping that word of mouth is going to take us even further."

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Did you even play it?
I don't have to take a bite of the brown pill to know it tastes like shit.
So you know nothing about it lol
6b7.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What dreamland? I expected it to sell well regardless of epic store or whatever. I'm aware most people don't give a fuck, they just want their anticipated game.

But when I see only "doctored" info like that, I'm starting to think real numbers aren't impressive at all.

Unless they're literally lying it sold more than Borderlands 2 did, which is plenty good enough considering that game went on to sell amazingly high numbers. I think if anything this will end up a feather in Epic's cap, for good or ill.

abija

Prophet
Unless they're literally lying it sold more than Borderlands 2 did, which is plenty good enough considering that game went on to sell amazingly high numbers. I think if anything this will end up a feather in Epic's cap, for good or ill.

Are you daft? My point was they chose those metrics to AVOID lying yet still seem impressive. Also helps when all the "press" spams incomplete headlines.

The only other reason I can think of to not publish straight up numbers is that someone in the chain prevents disclosure in order to be creative with their accounting.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Are you daft? My point was they chose those metrics to AVOID lying yet still seem impressive. Also helps when all the "press" spams incomplete headlines.

Are YOU daft? Borderlands 2 went on to sell 22 million, with PC being a huge chunk of it. If this one is on track to sell more than that, it's a big win for them. I can't even fathom a world where this is not obvious. Don't let what you want to be the case stop you from seeing what is the case. It shouldn't be a surprise since Origin and Battle.net games do great. People will go where the games are, that's why Epic is using the exclusive strategy in the first place.

abija

Prophet
Are YOU daft? Borderlands 2 went on to sell 22 million, with PC being a huge chunk of it. If this one is on track to sell more than that, it's a big win for them. I can't even fathom a world where this is not obvious. Don't let what you want to be the case stop you from seeing what is the case. It shouldn't be a surprise since Origin and Battle.net games do great. People will go where the games are, that's why Epic is using the exclusive strategy in the first place.
Yeah, that's what I was expecting. Except what did they really announce?

Sell in numbers, digital sales (NOT pc only), records for 2k (sure whatever), records in preorders for Epic store (anyone could have told you that since Epic store announcement), 50% more sales than BL2 in a X day window. (Except BL2 install base is what, 4-5 times bigger than BL1 was at BL2 launch? And BL2 didn't even cover both console at launch.)

And stop bringing Epic into it, if it failed is due to Gearbox NOT Epic (people are proven retards, including "high brow" codexers, just look at wow classic).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Infinitron - Can we get an "Epic Shill" tag for Dalek Flay?

Dexter

Arcane

This is what they said about Battleborn btw:
"Ultimately Borderlands [was an] extremely successful new game for us, and even Borderlands 1 went on to sell, I think, almost 7, 8 million units in its lifetime," he said. "Battleborn is actually tracking just ahead of where Borderlands was on the sales, and we think it's going to be a game that is going to work like that. A decent, solid launch. We're seeing steady and growing user counts on all three platforms, and hoping that word of mouth is going to take us even further."
I think it has been pointed out that they've used the very same comparisons, down to the very wording for the release of MAFIA 3:
https://ir.take2games.com/news-rele...edefines-mayhem-establishes-franchise-billion
Within its first five days of launch, 50 percent more consumers purchased Borderlands 3 versus sales of its predecessor – Borderlands 2making the title the fastest-selling in 2K’s history, as well as the highest-selling title for the label on PC in a five-day window. In addition, Borderlands 3 has sold-in more than 5 million units in its first five days, leading the Borderlands franchise to generate more than $1 billion in Net Bookings and becoming the second franchise in 2K history to achieve this milestone.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/40...ttwo-q3-2017-results-earnings-call-transcript
The title achieved the highest first week sell-in of any game in 2K's history and was a popular choice for consumers during the holiday season. To-date, Mafia III has sold-in approximately 5 million units.

This was a few months before letting go a lot of staff at the developer and pointing out they're not working on a sequel: https://ag.hyperxgaming.com/article/1184/mafia-iii-developer-hangar-13-hit-with-massive-layoffs

There's a reason for using restrictive terms like "sold-in" (which means shipped and can include sales guarantees) and "five-day window".

Whatever the case, investors apparently weren't too swept away by their press release:
https://www.barrons.com/articles/take-two-stock-falls-borderlands-3-sales-51569254100
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67756/borderlands-3-sales-milestone-causes-stocks-dip/index.html

There's no reason for a publisher to talk down their own products or try and make them look like anything less than total hits.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Have they really sold 5 million copies of this scam-grade shit? Unbelievable. And do people actually say right here ITT it's better than BL2? Double unbelievable. /sigh I guess anything goes these days.

Better guns? Better gunplay? Like really? These new guns are all bland and boring. Better, my ass. The only good thing about this game is that after trying it BL2 feels even better than before.

User was nabbed fit

Has anyone touched on the fact that all the 'good' main characters are women? Meanwhile the men just play goofball roles.

Seethe

Arbiter
After watching some game footage, the writing alone would deter me from buying this. Epic is just a bonus.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
After watching some game footage, the writing alone would deter me from buying this.
Writing is surprisingly bad even for a video game. Gearbox must be ashamed of stuffing the game with tons and tons of such indigestible tripe. But as a BL fan I could get over it. I would /sigh, turn off the VO, skip all cutscenes and ignore the whole thing.

But it's impossible to ignore the fact that a typical AR covers half of the screen. There were bulky guns in BL2 but they were not even close. BL3 guns are beyond ridiculous. And when you aim down sights it's even worse. This is probably the first shooter where aiming down sights with AR actually makes aiming harder in some cases.

And almost any enemy after L10 is a bullet sponge. SR were already the best weapons in previous BL games, now they're the only kind worth using unless you want to spend a minute on every trash mob (good luck scoring crits with anything else).

It's playable (if you can live with bugs and stuttering) but it's sooo awfully mediocre. Just a cash grab, nothing else.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But it's impossible to ignore the fact that a typical AR covers half of the screen. There were bulky guns in BL2 but they were not even close. BL3 guns are beyond ridiculous. And when you aim down sights it's even worse. This is probably the first shooter where aiming down sights with AR actually makes aiming harder in some cases.

This happens so often now. I assume it's something to do with consoles, like lowering how much complex geometry is on screen? Otherwise it would be a baffling creative decision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom