Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 3

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The enemies in BL3 are actually less varied in terms of weaknesses, as in BL1 and 2 bandits had energy shields.
In BL3 they don't, so all you need is a fire weapon for about 80% of the game, except for the times you fight Maliwan.
So you just need fire and shock and you're set. Its not very good design.

Lilith had no purpose other than to be an NPC to report back to after every mission (having to traverse the horribly designed sanctuary 3 in the process. You have to travel the entire length of the ship to get to her wtf) and the writers didn't have the balls to kill her off, making the villains look like idiots in the process.
FFS, they have Lilith at their mercy, talk about how they are going to make a show of her death and they DON'T kill her personally, leaving a couple of jobbers to do her in behind their backs?
That's the first impression they are going to give us? That's just bad writing and threat establishment.

Also, isn't everyone on
Elpis now fucking dead, after Lilith did that Firehawk shit to it? Are we really going to just gloss over that? Also, why couldn't Wainwright just take a mistress to continue the bloodline like a normal man of society, or just use a clone? That forced bit of drama was some socjus nonsense

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Future dlc includes:
-Raid boss that was cut from the game but advertised for months
-Dlc missions focusing on the most hated character in the game
-Shit cosmetics and cards
-Weekly/daily shit

Wow,even compared to borderlands standards this is terrible.Oh,and the good mod will be broken for weeks thanks to these new patches.

Amazingly enough after about 11 hours of play this feels like a happy medium between Borderlands 1 and 2. Despite Borderlands 2 doing a fair few things better, I preferred 1 because the loot was more plentiful and it worked as a more laid back loot whoring number growing game. 3 seems to improve the gunplay even more than 2 and has opened up the loot taps a bit and gear doesn't seem as heavily based on farming certain characters like 2 was. Much rather the fucking game be built around replaying and making new builds and new characters rather than spending 500 hours grinding up one character.

Writing's impressively shitty, worst in the series (Worst part is Gearbox writers getting their dirty hands over Tales from the Borderlands characters, the one time a Borderlands thing had especially fun writing) but who gives a shit. Won't be able to weigh in on the DLC much since that should be a fair few hours away, but the "Season pass 2" sounds like a giant ripoff. First one sounds similar to what they did in BL2, but second season pass sounds like cobbled together shit with the one exception being each class gets another skill tree. Overall reasonably pleased with Humble's price fuckup. I had hoped BL3 would be better than 2 rather than doubling down on the worst parts of it, and amazingly enough it appears that's the case. Don't really expect it to grab me as hard as BL1 did, but I'm curious to see the mayhem level system in action. Assuming that works on new characters once you've beaten the game at least once it sounds a bit like Diablo 3's difficulty system. So future characters can have ramped up difficulty with faster XP and more plentiful loot, which very well might put me into a replay-trance. Damn sight better than the normal/nightmare/hell thing the previous Borderlands games did lifted from Diablo 1 and 2.

Final tally after near 60 hours, beating the campaign, beating the first two DLCs, and getting to max difficulty and max loot, s'ok. The gameplay's a big improvement on BL2, still not quite hitting BL1 levels of satisfaction for me but that could be in part because years have passed since BL1 and there are some other really damn good brainless clickers out there now. I do gotta say that playing on mayhem 11 with gud gittin' gear isn't as enjoyable as playing on vanilla (Or maybe mayhem 1) with random-ass gear and making it work. Almost everything dies hilariously fast but ONLY if I'm using specific obscene guns with specific obscene build, if I try picking up and using random loot then I go from a kill time of half a second to a kill time of 10-15 seconds for a random mook. The specifics of what's obscene probably change from character to character (Build most certainly, but I wouldn't be surprised if what guns make the builds pop off changes too) but locking yourself in to going for the best does remove some of the fun slop of constantly picking up new guns and trying them out. "Late game" always kinda sucked in the Borderlands games in general though, which is why they're more fun for replaying with new characters.

DLC does seem noticeably higher quality than most of the main campaign which is a bit odd but welcome. If/when I play with a new character I'll probably try ignoring most all side quests and try beelining the main story and level up more in the DLC after. That'd also help increase the difficulty by being a bit underleveled and theoretically extend the more enjoyable part where you're constantly changing guns and build around. I've cooled on it a fair bit now that it feels like my character's basically "Done" and I still have 2 story DLC to get through. As far as I can tell I've basically got the best weapons and gear on offer and I'm at the level cap so the only thing I really gain is nabbing new cosmetics and increasing the paragon levels or whatever the fuck they call them, the minor infinite "Extra levels" that can give you slight stat bumps. Unfortunately it sounds like the next/final DLC coming in a few weeks is going to add some daily/weekly bonus quests/challenges/whatever which will apparently give fat stacks of XP which means leveling faster which means rushing to the worst part of the game. Still don't know if you can opt out of that or choose not to take the rewards from it.

Overall, pretty okay. Would be nice if they had Telltale's writers so there was better humor and story, and it would be nice if there weren't so many "Wait for the NPC to talk" parts, but as a brainless clicker it's a pretty good one. One final thing worth mentioning, kinda wish the music wasn't so weirdly quiet compared to the action and voiceover. Jesper Kyd's got some nice tracks in there on occasion and it's a shame I couldn't listen to them better. Unique music in each DLC too, there were a few combat songs in the Handsome Jackpot that were particularly good.

Duralux for Durabux

Nobody talk about this?
They released cut content that you have to pay for:

and then they released another one:

centered around the worst fucking annoying character ever written in a video-game: Ava
And in top of that Borderlands 3 already has a second season pass:

And then they released tons of shit skins that worth the equivalent of 60$:
Fuckery #4
Fuckery #5
Fuckery #6
Fuckery #7
etc..
Which means that people who bought the super DELUXE OMFGGG ULTRA MEGA COMPLETED pack have been ripped of .
Annoucement page is salty..
https://steamcommunity.com/app/397540/eventcomments/3171072251344662984?snr=1_5_9_&ctp=2

Last edited by a moderator:

Duralux for Durabux

They did the same thing with BL2 I believe, and all the fanboys bitched and whined and organized a boycott... and then bought it anyway.
Not exactly they tricked that fuckery by making little shitty maps and they sold them for like 3 bucks each so that people who bought the season pass don't actually have all the content because it's not counted as DLC, thus they had to pay again for all the content.
And it goes from Headhunter 1 to 5....

Also I didn't even count Skin dlcs. (30 DLCs in total for Borderlands 2's skins for 0.99$ -> 30$ for all of them)
Resume:
  • Borderlands 2: 60$ +Season pass 30$ + Captain Litith and fight for sanctuary 15$ +30 skins 30$ + headhunter maps 15$ =150$ for all the content
  • Borderlands 3: designer cut 15$+Director cut 15$ + season pass 30$ + Borderlands 3 60$ + season pass 2 30$+skins probably 60$ again =210$ for all the content and it's not over yet....
360$ for 2 games

I just seriously question who buys all this shit in the era of Steam/GoG/Humble sales. Like, I have BLands2 and some amount of DLC (don’t even know how much because the game was so utterly forgettable) sitting in my Steam library, but I guarantee I didn’t pay more than $20 for everything there because I’m not a complete fucking rube. It’s not even a matter of disposable income; I could easily pay $150 for a game if I wanted to, but why on God’s Green Earth would I when the game is going to cost 15% of that in 6-12 months?

flyingjohn

Arcane
I have collected more purple and legendarily in the first hour of this game then i have in borderlands 2.Feels good.
Plus free dlc is always nice.

Oh boy,they made a better death scene in their concepts and decided to keep the worst one and sell you the privilege to watch the better version.
Hahahah.

Performance is also shit.Barely maintaining 60 on a 750 ti on 720p. Luckily you can configure the game to look retro:
C41B5C1B68942B6A91D0443442FDDDD03F43B93C

Duralux for Durabux

There's free DLC?
Aside from patches*, No. Nothing is free and everything cost a lot. This game is a robbery.
*For now, but they probably could release payable patches in their next announcement as if the fuckery wasn't big enough (even thought they already did by hiding content behind paywall (like the 4rth skill tree is locked behind a paywall (30$ for a skill tree)).
I can already see it from here. "Get the new patch that reduces bugs, crashes and over QoL improvements for only 5 dollars DLC or do you prefer that DLC that increases performance for only 10 bucks? And we are kindly, we offer you a reduction of 10 pourcentage for the next dlc if you buy this DLC"
A fool and his money.
I have never seen a worst scam like this one, but it can get worse.

Which means that people who bought the super DELUXE OMFGGG ULTRA MEGA COMPLETED pack have been ripped of .
That's not true, I've got the Deluxe OMFGGG Ultra Mega Completed pack and I've got all the shit. Haven't been playing much though since after I got max level and got great end-game gear that liquifies everything instantly on max mayhem my fun plummeted. Which is fine since that's more sorta what I wanted out of it and closer to BL1, in that I have fun playing through it and then can play a new character instead of tons of awful farming for minimal gains. The bummer of course is I hit the level cap after doing a few pieces of DLC since I was playing it fairly completionist, for future characters I'll ignore more sidequests so the DLC slots in better while I'm still leveling. Eventually at least, been playing Outward co-op now.

flyingjohn

Arcane
There's free DLC?
You can get almost all steam games dlc for free.
It involves cream and api.

Curious. Won't your account be shut down though?
The only known shutdowns were in online only games like player battlegrounds.And that was only because of anti cheat programs and the ban was game only.
It does violate the steam tos but there has not been any known shutdowns of accounts when used on the majority of games that aren't online only.
I guess Valve tolerates it because they haven't patched the exploit in years even though it is easy to do.

Duralux for Durabux

The only known shutdowns were in online only games like player battlegrounds.And that was only because of anti cheat programs and the ban was game only.
It does violate the steam tos but there has not been any known shutdowns of accounts when used on the majority of games that aren't online only.
I guess Valve tolerates it because they haven't patched the exploit in years even though it is easy to do.
If you get something for free thanks to a program, it means that the developer of this said program found another way to gain revenue.

SumDrunkGuy

The gunplay is better but the maps arent and they pretty much recycled 90% of the enemies from the previous game. So, you shoot the same enemies you did on Borderlands 2 on maps that are bigger but not as well designed, that jungle planet in particular is a pain to go through. Also, I thought it was impossible to be worse than Antony Burch but , oh boy, I didnt know how I was wrong, this game was made by low T males simping hard for Lilith that forgot someone would actually play their fan fiction, it was painful. The main plot of this game is just two bitches fighting, an evil bitch vs a good bitch. Also, all male characters are annoying low T with very puncheable faces, guess the authors made them on their self image.

Hey, I'm a Lilith simper. Don't ever talk trash about my girl again or I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron.

Falksi

Arcane
So I'm playing this now.
Its ok I guess. They improved some of the mechanics, but good lord the pacing is terrible. I thought Borderlands 1 was slow, but Borderlands 3 is glacial. The first hour or two is basically a tutorial sequence.
Humor isn't great and the streamer villains are lame, but it doesn't annoy me as much as it did in borderlands 2 and TPS.
Guns look nice but they sound anemic. Moze's mech minigun sounds like a toy, bloody hell.

Totally with you on this. I just had a blast this evening for a few hours and it's barely got started yet.

As someone who skipped the 2nd game and gone in blind, what's annoying is it's taken this long to get to a point in the game where you can get any real feel for the characters & their playstyle. Bad basic design for an action game, at least give me a taster of each character before I commit to developing them.

Gonna put it to one side for now. Might return at some point, but I don't really like what's on offer with any of the characters tbh (in theory anyway)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom