Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Botanicula by Amanita Design

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The guys from Amanita, of Machinarium and Samorost fame, have their new game ready.

Sound and style are as always excellent. Gameplay seems to be similar to Samorost from the videos, a little simplistic. I had hoped they would get ambitious after Machinarium, but it seems they have found the mode they are comfortable in and sticking to it. Still, a day one purchase for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=gxoxCxLdsNE

http://botanicula.net/

Available for preorder on GoG for 9 bucks. I wonder if the low price means the game isn't very long?

Last edited by a moderator:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're nice little games, but nothing I'd pay their asking price for... call me a contributor to the decline. But, yeah, I wish they tried something a bit more ambitious. As far as 'low price' I'm sure they just realize people weren't willing to pay $20 for stuff like Machinarium which... honestly... isn't even that long, either. Maybe four or five hours depending on how fast you can solve stuff.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've got Botanicula, but haven't had a chance to play yet.

I'm a sucker for art like in Machinarium, so I don't feel ripped off by the game. I mostly play such games for only a couple of minutes a day so I got quite a long perceived gameplay of it. Besides, you could have gotten it in pre-order for $17 :P

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
2 hours of gameplay, pure joy for me.
Loved it. If you liked the Samorosts, it's even better.
It left me with a smile.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
So, has anyone tried it yet?
Yeah, I haven't gotten very far yet, but from what I've seen it's pretty good. Puzzles are kindaweak but that might just be because I'm so early on. The graphics and sound of this game are simply delicious and you quickly get emotionally invested in the cute characters and animals. Definitively one of the better games released so far this year.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I eventually got around to playing a couple of hours of this little gem. It's a very atmospheric game, extremely simple and of unbearable levels of cuteness. I would have never imagined I'd grow (pun intended) so sympathetic to the cause of a handful of seeds and spores. The art direction is really good, the visuals are amazingly drawn and excellently animated, the puzzles are very simple (usually they barely involve a handful of clicks around fairly evident objects around the screen) but are fun to watch and make sense within the context, the sound aspects are also quite fitting, and the lack of actual dialogue is made up for in an excellent way (the muffled mumblings of the main characters is adorable!).

Above all, the game is relaxing, calming, almost soothing to play. It's really a refreshing, undeservedly overlooked, game.

More details as soon as I complete it.

Ivan

Arcane
3 wonderful hours. sure, not really knowing where what is on the map got a bit annoying, but each room is filled with so much magic it didn't really matter.

what a wonderful gem. distilled point and click goodness. the ending had me :D

Samorost 3 here i come!
:5/5:

DarkForestCrow

Literate
I don't know what happened with me when I was playing demo, but it was great!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom