Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Braid, the time travelling puzzle platformer

Dark Matter

Prophet
Kaiserin said:
With Lemmings, you are developing a skill set, with Braid, you are simply hunting for all of the hidden pixels...if you'll pardon my patented shitty metaphor on that one.

Are you sure you even played the right game?

Silellak

Cipher
Dark Matter said:
Kaiserin said:
With Lemmings, you are developing a skill set, with Braid, you are simply hunting for all of the hidden pixels...if you'll pardon my patented shitty metaphor on that one.

Braid is the one with Master Chief, right? And the collar grabbing?

Great puzzles in that one.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The difference being that games like Lemmings reward you in the later levels by carefully building on knowledge and tricks that you gained in the earlier levels.
Like Braid
What are you talking about?

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Dark Matter said:
Kaiserin said:

Hey now, I said it was a shitty metaphorical attempt at describing something that is like pixel hunting.

Example? Okay, there's a 'puzzle' in the beginning which you can't undo if you do it incorrectly. The doors, and a key that can't be turned back I believe, vs some doors that can and some that can't as well. Of course, you very well probably won't understand why that's important until after you've failed once. I recall the game doing this several times, and actually gathered from the writing that it was an intended theme.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Kaiserin said:
FeelTheRads said:
You're not seriously comparing Tetris with The Incredible Machine, for example, are you?
No, I'm comparing it to Bust-A-Move, Klax, Columns, and the hundred other games like it which are called puzzle games.

Again, games which have nothing to do with The Incredible Machine or Braid but are similar to Tetris.

So... you were comparing Tetris with Bust-A-Move and somehow Braid lost?

Try again, cunt-boy.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
I was pointing out that Tetris isn't it's own genre, and to say that somebody doesn't like puzzle games because they don't like Braid and The Incredible Machine(which I did like) is fallacious. I can also see that you've made VERY GOOD USE of those 350 posts in the last year.

Lumpy

Arcane
World 1 was brilliant, too bad the mechanic was really underplayed. It blew my mind when I saw you can "unkill" the monsters and how that gives them a different "past".

mathboy

Liturgist
Kaiserin said:
Example? Okay, there's a 'puzzle' in the beginning which you can't undo if you do it incorrectly. The doors, and a key that can't be turned back I believe, vs some doors that can and some that can't as well. Of course, you very well probably won't understand why that's important until after you've failed once. I recall the game doing this several times, and actually gathered from the writing that it was an intended theme.
Green things aren't affected by time moving backwards. The first green thing you notice might be annoying, because you don't know that you can't undo what happens to them, but after that, they are a natural part of the game, unless you're stupid.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
What genre are games like Tetris a part of in that case? What genre are games like Braid a part of in that case?

I mean yeah, it had some mildly interesting puzzles, but it was nothing fantastic. Big deal, the game is not worth lauding. I don't know why my opinion is particularly poorly received, because it seems to be on the same page as everyone else in the end, Braid was a very average game.

mathboy said:
Green things aren't affected by time moving backwards. The first green thing you notice might be annoying, because you don't know that you can't undo what happens to them, but after that, they are a natural part of the game, unless you're stupid.
Right, I know this. This was merely an example of one of the things I was talking about. Yeah, later in the game you are aware of that, but you aren't necessarily aware of all the other stuff that is added as the game progresses.

Whatever, that's my opinion on the game. Ya'll are just gonna have to cringe about it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What genre are games like Tetris a part of in that case?

Not puzzle, despite you trying to stick them there.

It's basically the same as... well Diablo and Fallout. Both are called RPG, yet the differences are huge. I guess we should have sub-genres for puzzles too.

So yeah, using Tetris as a proof you like puzzle games was retarded, especially since the game in question here has absolutely nothing to do with Tetris.

I can also see that you've made VERY GOOD USE of those 350 posts in the last year.

Much better use than your almost 3000 post of pseudo-intellectuality in the same timeframe, I'd say.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
FeelTheRads said:
So yeah, using Tetris and The Incredible Machine as a proof you like puzzle games was retarded, especially since the game in question here has absolutely nothing to do with Tetris.
Fixed.
pseudo-intellectuality
O gawd, you stab me so deep.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I certainly agree that Braid was overall an average game, even above-average: the story certainly brings the thing down and also the fact that it is very short, yet it has some very clever ideas and I like the fact that it did not hold my hand to explain the mecanics of each world and let me discover them; graphics are nice too even if the lat world wasn't very interesting, and music are decent but not ground-breaking. It's a bit the same like Portal: decent game but not mind-blowing like some people claim it is, not in this current state anyway, but it might open the door to something better later.

To give a comparison, I found World of Goo to be a better and more solid puzzle game.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Kaiserin said:
Example? Okay, there's a 'puzzle' in the beginning which you can't undo if you do it incorrectly. The doors, and a key that can't be turned back I believe, vs some doors that can and some that can't as well. Of course, you very well probably won't understand why that's important until after you've failed once.
Maybe you shouldn't run around doing things without understanding their implications, then.

In Codex-speak: Choices and consequences, bitch.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I like to have to figure things out of for myself, even if it meant I had to exit the level and come back to reset it. Definitely beat some obscure puzzles in adventure games where you had no choice but try every solution and load the game when it turned out badly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom