Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Breath of fire series worth playing? (1-4)

index.php

Arcane
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7192/

Breath of Fire IV Uncensored

This hack restores four censored scenes that were cut from the English releases of Breath of Fire IV. It comes as a program that generates a new image file due to limitations with .ppf patches and copyrighted data being moved around.
In addition, the program also provides an option to restore Scias’ Identify ability as well (essentially the same as https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6413/‎‎ ).

somerandomdude

Learned
BoF: Dragon Quarter wasn't a bad game at all. It had some originality, but it was a totally different game from the whimsical and laid back atmosphere of the others, so the fans didn't really like it. Many in recent years have given the game a shot and found out that it was actually a pretty solid game.

Mechanically BOF5 is amazing, almost WRPG-like in its combat system.

But it is a downer of a game. Probably one of the most depressing post-apocalyptic settings I've seen, makes Fallout look sunny by comparison. Nina is a sickly mute. I'm not always looking for a sunshiney experience when I play a game but I can't say I've been motivated to play it again after I finished it. Would still recommend anyone play the game at least once.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
BoF: Dragon Quarter wasn't a bad game at all. It had some originality, but it was a totally different game from the whimsical and laid back atmosphere of the others, so the fans didn't really like it. Many in recent years have given the game a shot and found out that it was actually a pretty solid game.
The whimsy of waking up one day as a child and no one remembering who you are anymore, genocide, body horror, medical torture, nuclear holocaust and other war crimes. The color palette in BoF was always pretty bright, but the game settings and themes were definitely on the darker side of the spectrum. Certainly DQ ramped things up even more, but it felt like a natural evolution to me. The bleak post-apoc setting didn't just come out of nowhere.

notpl

Arbiter
Dragon Quarter took 2 or 3 interesting steps forward for the franchise, and 10 disastrous steps back. They took a series famous for some of the most beautiful spritework in the gaming world and made it brutally ugly 3d, with a single linear dungeon consisting almost entirely of nondescript industrial corridors. Not only was it hideous, but the team clearly didn't know what they were doing with the 3d engine, and it suffered from noticeable framerate hits when moving the player/camera around in big areas. It ditched traditional party turn-based combat in favor of a weird Vagrant Story-esque 3d spatial thing, and the added complexity didn't pay off in any way with challenging bossfights or the like. The story was excessively dark and edgy, but more importantly was extremely poorly conveyed - it suddenly felt like you were playing a weird Xenosaga spinoff instead of a breath of fire game.

Most importantly, you couldn't turn into a fucking dragon. The entire premise of the breath of fire franchise is that you play as a guy (literally named Dragon) who turns into a dragon. Instead, Dragon Quarter offers a weird shin megami tensei demon transformation that you can't actually use or the game ends.

Last edited:
Dragon Quarter took 2 or 3 interesting steps forward for the franchise, and 10 disastrous steps back. They took a series famous for some of the most beautiful spritework in the gaming world and made it brutally ugly 3d, with a single linear dungeon consisting almost entirely of nondescript industrial corridors. Not only was it hideous, but the team clearly didn't know what they were doing with the 3d engine, and it suffered from noticeable framerate hits when moving the player/camera around in big areas.

It's interesting you mention this. Every BOF up until that point was really nice in the graphics department. I don't remember DQ being 'ugly' per se, but then again it's been several years since I played it. And I'd concede that it wasn't one of Capcom's better-looking 3d games. If you compare Capcom's other 3D offerings of the era: RE4, Godhand, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, P.N.03, etc, BOF is definitely the ugly one of the bunch. The Megaman X and BOF games had some of the best spritework and animation ever produced, period, but they did not transition well into 3D well at all. Really hadn't considered this before.

BOF4 I think is worth a playthrough, as well, if even for graphical admiration. Having tried a playthrough recently, it certainly has it's sour points. Namely shoving minigames in your face every dozen of minutes or so, but man oh man is it pretty to look at. PS1-era Capcom was pushing out some really nice spritework, from Darkstalkers to SF3 to MVC to Megaman X and Breath of Fire.

lightbane

Arcane
Ah, these games... I liked them when I was a kid, but I'm not sure if I can recommend them now. BOF 3 and 4 are the best, but BOF2 also features C&C of sorts with unique endings at the expense of shit draconic transformations (although ingame it made sense since that game's Ryu is the weakest of the saga). Dragon Quarter is very experimental, for good and bad. Shame all that remains of the franchise is a mobile game only Japs played.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Loved 3 and 4 but admit I was completely turned off by everything i read about DQ so never even gave it a chance, perhaps one day i will remedy that.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragon Quarter is a very interesting game, the series is great so is BoF 5 but it's such a wierd game, and should not bear it's name. It also single-handedly destroyed a great series which is kind of a shame.

I found after replaying the BoF SNES version that the GBA version is a lot better to play. It's easier the encounter rate has been downed a lot which helps immensly. When I replayed the game on the 3DS (which is the SNES version) I wanted to throw the thing against the wall for the amount of Random encounters the damn game has, horrible..

Twizman

Scholar
Going to try a self-imposed challenge for BOFI based on suggestions from experienced players. Current plan is: no Dragon or Karn Fusions, may only use equipment found in the world (no buying gear/items from vendors). Not sure if this will work - hoping to find a sweet spot that increases the difficulty.

Vagiel

Augur
One thing not praised enough in this series, mainly after 3, is the enemy design and behaviour. All groups had particular quirks and behaviours depending on how you approached them. Things like enemy leaders buffing the rest and getting scared receiving penalties, special attacks that they use depending on different circumstances, burning enemies that then change their drops. Almost all enemies had something unique to them.

I can't state how interesting all these make the battles even though the battle system is relatively typical at first glance.

index.php

Arcane
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7294/

Reduce Random Encounters in Breath of Fire!​

16 November 2022 10:04AM EST - Update by Ok Impala!

Right on the heels of a reduced encounter rate patch for Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, here is a similar patch for the original Breath of Fire! This patch lowers the encounter rate in Breath of Fire (SNES), so you can play the game with less interruptions by random battles. You can choose from two different patches:
Choose your preferred encounter rate:
  • 01 Breath of Fire (less encounters)(-50%)
  • 02 Breath of Fire (few encounters)(-75%)
Optional:
  • Double Exp and Gold (by Justin3009). This will be useful when playing with a low encounter rate.
Please note that the Gown and SageML will still raise the encounter rate, so be aware when using those items.
You can combine these patches with other Breath of Fire hacks, like FlamePurge’s War of the Goddess patch.
Enjoy Breath of Fire once more, this time without the grind!

deuxhero

Arcane
For what it's worth, doubling encounter reward and reducing encounter rate is something Capcom did for the GBA port so it's not just an easy mode hack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom