Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Brent Knowles Interview: An Insider's Look at BioWare, 2000-2009

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
As well, because the game content did not have to be locked down too early (for voice over and cinematics), we actually had more development time.
I only played a bit of DA:O, but wasn't everything voiced other than the protagonist's lines? If so, this seems somewhat unpersuasive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I only played a bit of DA:O, but wasn't everything voiced other than the protagonist's lines? If so, this seems somewhat unpersuasive.

He's talking about Baldur's Gate 2 in that quote.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Just the thought of no-party control DnD seems boring, but are SoU/HotU actually worth playing? I understand NWN had a solid modding scene, are there mods that let you control you companions ala NWN2/IE?

There is no marquee select or strategy cam in NWN1, no. You have a degree of control of your companions by means of dialogue (buffing, basic tactics etc). If you're interested in seeing how this plays out, you won't find better examples online than in my HotU and current Aielund Saga recountings (see sig).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought the question was pretty productive actually. It's exactly the same answer that Schafer gave regarding Broken Age being "an old school adventure game (picture of Day of the Tentacle)". Both are great examples of a developer claiming they're making a spiritual successor while completely missing the point about what people actually liked in the original. I have to say I found the parts about DAO to be the most interesting, since his answers seem to clearly point out that DAO was consolized from the start, that the whole spiel about "old-school CRPG" was just hot air from the get-go, and that EA had nothing to do with any of that after all, it was all Bioware's doing and part of their initial vision for the game, a bizarre mishmash of Mass Effect and Baldur's Gate that would please both sides, and even seems to have succeeded in the eyes of many.
One of these games sold about twice as many copies as the game it claimed to be a spiritual successor to, and one sold about 1/5 as many copies.

I don't think they missed what the majority of BG2 customers liked about the game. The niche that liked delving into ad&d intricacies? Yeah they got left behind, but it was a small number of the overall picture, or it was one of many things people liked about BG2 and were willing to experience what was left.

There's nothing very action-y about DAO, how do you see it as a hybrid BG-ME?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I still don't understand what people like about HotU though. Yeah sure it's a stellar game compared to the OC, but that's not saying much, and it carries over many of the same problems that are inherent to it (repetitive environments, endless trash mobs, slow-ass and deathly boring combat, no real party control, unoptimized and ugly engine...)

It seems you don't know what you're talking about, but it is hilarious just how pig-headed and ignorant the Codex has been with regard to HotU over the years. There have been casual fumblings in random threads, and then there's this enlightening topic:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/neverwinter-nights-hordes-of-the-underdark.3166/

Athelas

Arcane
How many times is this that Lilura derailed a thread to take the opportunity to extol the virtues of NWN1?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok, but then show me all your HotU content..

Well, we did have newsposts about it back in the day: http://www.rpgcodex.net/tags.php?id=6

I did say it was underrated in the interview.

But, I also said the NWN expansions didn't change the fact that it was a mechanically limited game at its core. Some people will never be able to look past that, and that's their prerogative. *shrug*

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I like that Lith My'athar screenshot btw, whoever took it must be awesome. ;)

hiver

Very good interview, especially because mr Knowles answered so many questions and did so as candidly as he could, but the questions were also good.
Who knows, maybe one far away day you will be able to get what is Fallout. Although i doubt it.

Its not really surprising to me to see that BG games were one time lucky confluences and peaks of those teams and times creativity. Especially BG 2 which benefited from better engine and all the experience of previous ones.
And its not anything strange to see how and why they went down the drain, when it comes to actually creating works of quality, instead of popularity.

Greatness

Cipher
Has there ever been an actual good RPG with a voiced protagonist. I'm coming up blank. Does "Updated my Journal" count?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The Reddit folks seem mostly concerned with how evil EA ruined the ending of their precious Mass Effect trilogy. The idea that Bioware may have gone through other, earlier changes is far outside their scope.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Neogaf is all about the flavor of the month, it's a self feeding hype cycle.

I have rarely seen a forum so wonderfully delirious.

Zeriel

Arcane
The Reddit folks seem mostly concerned with how evil EA ruined the ending of their precious Mass Effect trilogy. The idea that Bioware may have gone through other, earlier changes is far outside their scope.

Who is Baldur, and where is his Gate?

(to be read in Arnold's "who is your daddy?!" voice.)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good interview, for a while I thought it was an Andhaira one.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most of the neogaf posts are pretty but there is this one:

There's just no way you could have a half voice acted game. It would feel cheap and unfinished.

Not to mention the players. I started playing the Dragon Age series over the holidays and in Origins you never feel like your character actually exists in the game universe.

:hero:

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Sure, mostly. That's not what I was focusing on, though.

From reddit:

... Bioware continually gets better at what they do (nobody in the industry is as good at managing the ridiculous amount of quests, choices, and dialog they have)

Kem0sabe wrote:

They haven't actually improved on their design tho

Spot on.

Zeriel

Arcane
Haha, that is pretty bad. It's like the exact opposite of what actually happened (i.e they keep getting worse at their core competencies).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom