Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Brent Knowles Interview: An Insider's Look at BioWare, 2000-2009

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I should rely on these scripts, they're gonna work all the time (false conclusion); I don't have to learn the rules, the game implies this with its preset scripts (false conclusion); The Idea of conditional framework, which is preset imply that I don't have to/shouldn't change its scripts??

It's not as simple as "true" or "false".

Let's say you're playing a new RPG, with new mechanics you're not familiar with. You've managed to play 20 hours of it without doing much of anything yourself other than clicking a knockdown ability with a cooldown occasionally. After all, why do more? It works, right?

OK, now you've finally hit a battle that requires more than that. Your guys are dying, you're not winning. Maybe you try to take control now...or maybe you just cast a bunch of buffs and try again and this time it works. Or maybe you bring in a different party member and this time it works. Or maybe you just gulp down a bunch of potions during the battle and otherwise let the game continue playing itself, and it works. Because you don't WANT to fucking control everything yourself now. The game played itself fine up until now, why change? You're going to do the minimum necessary to keep that dynamic going on.

eremita

Savant
It's not as simple as "true" or "false".

Let's say you're playing a new RPG, with new mechanics you're not familiar with. You've managed to play 20 hours of it without doing much of anything yourself other than clicking a knockdown ability with a cooldown occasionally. After all, why do more? It works, right?

OK, now you've finally hit a battle that requires more than that. Your guys are dying, you're not winning. Maybe you try to take control now...or maybe you just cast a bunch of buffs and try again and this time it works. Or maybe you bring in a different party member and this time it works. Or maybe you just gulp down a bunch of potions during the battle and otherwise let the game continue playing itself, and it works. Because you don't WANT to fucking control everything yourself now. The game played itself fine up until now, why change? You're going to do the minimum necessary to keep that dynamic going on.
It is as simple as "true" or "false", the only reason why you're not satisfied with it is because you mixed up extending the problem of conditional framework with adding different and unrelated problems to the matter. In other words, the conditional framework/automatization is hardly the reason why the situation you described occurred. Let's say I'm not 20 hours in, but only 1 hour in and suddenly what you described happens (time itself is relative, the point is not enough time sinked in to create a habit in regards of approaching the game). How am I gonna react? The same? I don't think so. There's your proof then. The same situation would happen in any game, which throws trash shit on me for 20 hours and then completely changes that formula. The design is flawed then, not the concept of conditional framework.

And again, this "issue" is solved completely if default otpion only consist of just a basic attack for example, thus making clear to everyone that automatization is not only an optional feature, but also one which requires some kind of learning process.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
DA:O had default scripts automatically set. You didn't have to do anything and the companions would act, albeit in a sub-optimal way, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom