Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo interviewed by Existential Gamer - talks Numenera, Wasteland 3 and small guy Vince

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera; Vault Dweller; Wasteland 2; Wasteland 3

Julian Feeld of Existential Gamer wrote a nice, generalist interview with Brian Fargo – captain of InXile Entertainment and hardened trademark warrior. The interview touches on the games of olde, the games of newe, and Fargos escapades throughout gaming history.

I don't follow things anymore, so I'm not sure how big of a news this is to anybody, but this snippet pretty much confirms Wasteland 3 being in the works:

EG: What’s the relationship between your life experiences and the way you write, design, and create characters, storylines, and games?

BF: I draw almost all of my inspiration from my personal life experiences, reading about others or stories that people share with me personally. Authenticity resonates. I was in Croatia recently and met a local who told me about his grandfather the hunter. He said that he has owned 4 four dogs in his life, each with the name Jackie.

Apparently one day he was out hunting and shot a wild boar, but his bullet only grazed the animal, causing it to enter a frenzy. As the boar was charging to kill the hunter, his trusty dog Jackie jumped out and took the hit, dying in the process.

His Grandfather dropped his rifle and ran to the doctor but was unable to save the dog. According to the hunter’s wife, it was the only time she ever saw the man cry. After that he named every one of his dogs Jackie. These kinds of stories are powerful, and you can bet you’ll find some part of this one in Wasteland 3.

Small guy Vince is a brave idiot:

EG: In our interview with him, Vince D. Weller of Age of Decadence mentioned inXile as the most interesting studio out there. Who are you most excited to see pave the future for RPG’s?

BF: I’ve always been excited to see how small Indies like Vince push the envelope of what makes an RPG. As companies acquire overhead it becomes more difficult to take risks and therein lies the opportunity for the small guy to shine.

My whole life I’ve been asked who my biggest competitor is. My answer remains unchanged: it’s a person I’ve never heard of. Someone who is dying to do better, to show the world what they are capable of.​

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hopefully it will use Unreal engine.

Отправлено с моего SM-A510F через Tapatalk

himmy

Arcane
inb4 Wasteland 3 pitch video with Fargo slowly walking towards the camera saying "Because I invented video games back in the 1980s, I know what people want. Big publishers don't want you to know, but what you really want, and the game I always wanted to make, was Wasteland 3, an action-packed free-to-play multiplayer tower defence game for iOS."

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Great interview. Fargo sounds like a well-read guy who has it together.
That was the impression I was left with after reading the interview too. In stark contrast to every other interview, video or thing I've heard Fargo in prior to this, so I feel confused.
Is he an intelligent and above-averagely informed man who normally comes off as (or masquerades as) a casual who is in it for the business,
or is he businessman casual who just happens to come off as an intelligent and above-averagely informed man in this particular interview because I-don't-actually-have-any-clue-why-this-doesn't-make-sense-to-me-anybody-have-any-ideas-questionmark?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When you interview for a site called "The Existential Gamer", you say different things than when you interview at PC Gamer.

Last edited:

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
When you interview for a site called "The Existential Gamer", you say different things then when you interview at PC Gamer.
That definitely makes sense, but is that really all there is to it?
Maybe the Codex administration should consider establishing a shell company named Codex of RPG Philosophy that "codex reporters" that claim to be from if/when conducting interviews with Fargo kind of people? :M

I hope the parrot fits the context. I felt the sentence needed an emoticon but struggled to find one that made sense. I feel the parrot's true purpose is an enigma no one seems intent on solving... or at least sharing the solution to.

Zeriel

Arcane
When you interview for a site called "The Existential Gamer", you say different things then when you interview at PC Gamer.
Maybe the Codex administration should consider establishing a shell company named Codex of RPG Philosophy that "codex reporters" that claim to be from if/when conducting interviews with Fargo kind of people? :M

I hope the parrot fits the context. I felt the sentence needed an emoticon but struggled to find one that made sense. I feel the parrot's true purpose is an enigma no one seems intent on solving... or at least sharing the solution to.

If you don't know why you're using the parrot, you're using it properly.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Deep Ocean's level of excitement for Wasteland 3 news after Inxile announcing hiring Avellone as lead writer and they announcing they are stopping being retards trying to reinvent the wheel and going to make an 1:1 copy of JA 2 combat and character system:

9000 degree Celsius, HOT!, HOT! , HOT!

Deep Ocean's level of excitement for Wasteland 3 news otherwise until real gameplay and writing samples are shown:

-273,15 degree Celsius.

I don't need another schlocky and derivative take on post apocalyptic any time soon, no sir. Sorry, no amount of Fargo's used car salesman talks will convince me.

D!!

Educated
My biggest hope for Wasteland 3 is character models that matches portraits. And visible power armor. Visible power armor and minigun at the beginning of a game.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Deep Ocean's level of excitement for Wasteland 3 news after Inxile announcing hiring Avellone as lead writer and they announcing they are stopping being retards trying to reinvent the wheel and going to make an 1:1 copy of JA 2 combat and character system:

9000 degree Celsius, HOT!, HOT! , HOT!

Deep Ocean's level of excitement for Wasteland 3 news otherwise until real gameplay and writing samples are shown:

-273,15 degree Celsius.
I find it hard to believe someone referring themselves in the third person would be particularly excited about anything.

Let's go with "Inclusive Gaming" or "Inclusive Gaming Journal".

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
EG: What’s the game people would be most surprised to hear you enjoy?

BF:
I play so many odd games to experience different techniques in storytelling, UI, monetization, etc. There are probably quite a few that would surprise people. But in the line of games I enjoy that would be surprising… perhaps those I play on my mobile devices like Hearthstone or Clash Royale. I’m a very competitive person, and those games really get me fired up. But who would have thought I’d have so much fun playing a time-traveling teenage girl in Life is Strange?
:smug:

FUDU

Arcane
I play a time traveling girl IRL. It is a lot of fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom