Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Fargo: "The golden era of computer RPGs is yet to come" (interview @ Polygamia.pl)

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Suchy, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Suchy Arcane

Suchy
    http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,112...__The_golden_era_of_computer_RPGs_is_yet.html

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. groke Arcane Patron

groke
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech
    [​IMG]

I wanna believe...

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Maybe one should come out first before we all hail the new paradigm.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    Do you really think any of the big Kickstarter games will be exceptionally good, as good as games made with five times the budgets and staff 15 years ago? I don't think so. The reason Kickstarter is important is that it proves there's still a large audience for RPGs and that there are alternative ways to fund them than big publishers. This generation of Kickstarter RPGs is the first stepping stone in getting RPGs back on track and mainstream again, but I don't think we can realistically expect the first round of Kickstarter RPGs to produce a golden age, or anything other than solid, enjoyable RPGs. It's the things that come after this that are exciting.

^ Top  
  5. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    ...no

No

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You might want to verify what the budget and staff size of Fallout 1 were before making such statements

^ Top  
  7. marooned Liturgist

marooned
    It's either Fargo doing his thing or he's starting to lose his marbles like the other old farts.

^ Top  
  8. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I have to say I prefer Fargo's brand of insanity (believing himself to be old school cRPG messiah bringing with him the promise of gaming renaissance) to that of the other legends in the biz. At least his has some chance to bring something other then streamlined QTE infested cinematic experience. Bring on the lunacy!

^ Top  
  9. ~RAGING BONER~ Learned

~RAGING BONER~
    Molyneux solos

^ Top  
  10. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Call me naive, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's made some strange statements, sure, but he's still below the Molyneux-Garriot Batshit Coefficient Curve for now.

^ Top  
  11. LeStryfe79 President Spartacus Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I expect P:E to be better than BG. By all accounts, it should have better character models, party development, and UI. It will probably have better mechanics, setting, and writing as well. It also has a huge dungeon. I'm not sure about W2 or Tides yet, but I'm optimistic. I don't necessarily believe these games will be innovative, but there comes a time in various mediums where innovation takes a backseat to quality. For example, color and sound were good innovations to cinema, but 3d is not. As long as the game play, presentation, and value are good, it's a win in my opinion. Everyone has said that avoiding publishers, box costs, and making engines from scratch is huge, and cuts the costs of production considerably. You're a developer, Chef, is it BS? I personally don't think hardcore/old school/ innovative RPG's will ever be truly mainstream again. It's like the way quality HBO shows like GoT might be popular, but not nearly as big as The Voice or whatever. The mainstream always follows the path of least resistance, and I don't think our hobby will ever be more than 2 to 3 times as popular as it is now. Still, I think Fargo doesn't understand the term "Golden Age". Clearly the early - mid 80's were the Golden age and the late 90's or there abouts was the silver age. We are in the modern age now. This is definitely not the golden age of RPG's by it's very definition.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. coffeetable Savant

coffeetable

The Baldur's Gate II postmortem claimed that Baldur's Gate I took 90 man-years of work, which at today's prices is $10-$15m. Thing is, with BG1 they were a new studio developing a new engine for a game that broke new ground in terms of gameplay, all the while working within 1998 hardware constraints. More, literally no-one on the team had released a computer game before - they were using stone-age software engineering techniques like bug tracking on whiteboards in the hallway. All in all, I reckon the ~$4m that an experience studio like Obsidian have to play with will likely get more done than people think.

inXile though I'm less confident about.

^ Top  
  13. Jashiin Arcane

Jashiin
    And lack of publisher milestones should speed up development time and conserve resources. Also more then ever I would think all the people involved will be a lot more motivated making a game for their fans and investors, instead of a bunch of suits ripping you off and choking you creatively all the way.

^ Top  
  14. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay

Probably some of them, yes. Do I think the average Codexer will say that? No.

^ Top  
  15. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker

I was just about to say this. Staff-wise these teams are sometimes way bigger than some of the games on the RPG Codex All Time list. Budget-wise as well. Dunno about Fallout though.

^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fallout had a similar budget to Wasteland 2, and that included 3D pre-rendered cutscenes, celebrity voice acting and developing an engine from scratch.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. LeStryfe79 President Spartacus Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Chef is a quality poster of the highest order though. I blame rats for his current delusions.

:bro:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. LeStryfe79 President Spartacus Patron

LeStryfe79
    ...and this:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker

Does this account for inflation? I reckon it doesn't ;)

But still.

^ Top  
  20. coffeetable Savant

coffeetable

If it was a $3 million budget at the start of development in 1995, it'd be $4.6 million now. Probably a bit less, since I think the average US wage has risen slower than inflation.

^ Top  
  21. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    There are other contexts of golden age than comics (or TV I suppose). In soccer it's common to refer to a golden age when a nation is at it's best in terms of talent. Following your analogy, shouldn't this be the bronze age of RPGs anyways?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Programmer wages probably kept pace better than the average wage.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. KithKanan Novice

KithKanan
    Particularly full time employee costs -- health insurance has FAR outpaced inflation, and while the employee doesn't see it in wages, the employer certainly sees it in budget.

^ Top  
  24. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    ^ tuluse: I wouldn't be so sure. Gaming programmers are among the most underpaid workers relative to their education.

Sounds about right, but the process is probably much more efficient now. Using Unity also saves them a ton.

^ Top  
  25. shihonage Subscribe to my OnlyFans Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    I'm spending about $8000 on basic human graphics for Shelter. Of course there's a lot more to buy, foreshadowing my future life on the street, using public library computers to code while mumbling something about Cleve's dreams.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.