Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Brigador: Up-Armored Edition - isometric mech action game

Astral Rag

Arcane
https://stellarjockeys.com/games/brigador

https://af.gog.com/game/brigador?as=1649904300

Brigador is an isometric mech action game full of intense, tactical combat. Fight your way through the streets of Solo Nobre in a 21 mission story campaign as well as a free play mode with endless variety.

audiokineticpulse.jpg
corvids_rise.jpg

Features:

Blast your way through completely destructible environments.
Unlock a selection of 40 weapons and 45 mechs, tanks, and hovercraft for a wide variety of play styles.
20 high detail, hand-crafted levels for free play mode: short, high intensity playthroughs against randomized faction & enemy spawning where every run is different.
21-mission story campaign-- learn the fate of Solo Nobre
Original soundtrack by Makeup & Vanity Set, 2 hours of original music!

Edit: you can still buy the base game for €18 on the Humble Store.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astral Rag

Arcane
This looks pretty neat to me. I notice that the game was in early access for a while, has anyone here played it?

laclongquan

Arcane
Based on trailer and other video, it's real time action pewpewdiedie. Look kinda like Mechcommander but worse.
NO mech configuration.
No pilot management.
All it does is to make a small mech figure on screen running around pewpew.
You know the feeling of stomping around in giant mecha like mechwarrior? Nothing like that here.
You know the feeling of managing multiple mecha on battlefield like mechcommander or the minigame of space rangers? Nothing about that here.
NOthing worth being excited about~

Riskbreaker

That looks gorgeous indeed.

Reminds of faster, smoother version of this more than anything else:

Good new isometric shooter is most certainly worth being excited about.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hope someone makes a Terminator mod for this where you play as Hunter-Killer fighting humanity.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I liked it better when it was named Matador. :decline:
Joking aside, this always looked pretty damn sweet. Might pick it up later.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/03/brigador-review/

Wot I Think: Brigador

brig1.jpg

Ice-cool cyberpunk, mass destruction, Syndicate-esque pro-tyranny tone, vast cityscapes, fluid action. Consequence-free chaos in the city of tomorrow. With customisable mechs. And hover-tanks. And Killdozers. And a neo-80s soundtrack. You’re gonna love Brigador [official site] – unless you’re looking for a mech strategy game.

Sure, you can choose your mech loadout and have to manage the old walker chestnut of legs/torso pointing in opposing directions, but this is closer to a twin-stick shooter than anything else. Albeit one with solid mouse and keyboard controls and the extra complication of movement switching between rotating and strafing depending on whether you’re piloting a mech or a tank. There is a strong need for tactics, particularly in terms of ammo and health management, weapon physics, crowd control and particularly targeting specific enemies before they sound the alarm, but where it most deviates from anything bullethellish is that your manavoureability is starkly limited by the tonnes-heavy deathmachine you’re controlling.

There are smaller, faster, more fragile mechs and tanks available, but even then shields and counter-measures mean it’s never the frantic dance of a Robotron. Save for the fact that the screen is a near-unending hive of bullets, lasers and explosions. If anything, it looks and feels like I remember Syndicate feeling, but of course it’s far more detailed and far more adrenal than that now slow and stark game ever really was.

16brigador.jpg

Brigador is glorious to behold – sweeping, detailed cityscapes clad in neon-flecked night, ordered and peaceful when a level begins, shattered and smoking by the time it ends. On the one hand it looks lo-fi, but on other the tide of destruction and intricate units make me feel as though I’m playing a tabletop game come to explosive, carefully-lit life.

A carefully-deployed explosive can create a chain reaction of tumbling buildings, and,of course a well-timed stomp can dispatch a horde of enemies simultaneously. It’s a very specific power fantasy, recreated with clear love, prizing scale and effect well above anything like simulation. Not what the die-hard Mechwarrior fan craves, no, but the broader category of mech-lovers will be in hog heaven.

I love everything Brigador does, and yet I don’t quite love it, because despite its wonderful robo-toys, industrial-scale carnage and impeccable aesthetics it can be a frustrating old dear to play. It’s not that it’s hard as such, but the interface presentation makes life harder than it needs to be- and death more frequent than it’s probably supposed to be.

brig2.jpg

Perhaps this is a consequence of playing on a 1440p monitor (oh woe is me, etc), but the abiding darkness, tininess of all the units and lack of a zoom means I have to squint to work out which way my mech’s legs or tanks’ fronts are facing, which wouldn’t be such a problem if only the time taken to perform said squint and then correct direction to suit is often all that’s required to end up dead – as it charging headfirst into rather than away from a powerful enemy cos I didn’t realise my mecha-crotch was pointed in that direction.

It perhaps further reduces the simulation side of things, but I do strongly recommend turning on the directional indicator arrow in settings – although even then it’s tiny and easily-obscured. The night’n’neon aesthetic is cool as heck, but I think perhaps it’s a little too dark for its own good.

I had a similar problem with how far away the health/shields/ammo meters, positioned at top-left, are from the action, which broadly rages in the central area of the screen. Again, the time taken to pan my eyes from what I’m shooting to what condition my poor mech is in is often enough to be lethal, so I don’t do it anything like as much as I should. Most of the time, I don’t quite realise I’m in trouble until I’m suddenly dead.

It’d spoil the minimalism I know, but health and ammo bars hovering over the mech itself would solve this problem entirely. Hell, simply more warning signs such as klaxons and smoke would help. It only takes a heartbeat to glance up and left, yes, but in the midst of Brigador’s delightfully heated battles, a heartbeat can be all it takes.

brig3.jpg

My major frustration with Brigador is that death seems so sudden – this being a game where death costs all progress in what are usually large and challenging maps. I don’t dispute that it’s always ultimately my fault for being too reckless or under-utilising evasion tricks such as smoke grenades and temporary invisibility, but not being able to constantly be peripherally aware of key information I need only compounds my clumsiness. Some of the campaign levels are unashamedly brutal too – granting hugely overpowered units such as tower-block sized mobile fortress with one hand, then piling a relentless tidal wave of fast-moving units it struggles to track with the other.

The good news is that getting stuck or disheartened in the campaign is not a roadblock. You can jump instead to Freelance missions, which feature less fixed maps, new challenges and, importantly, the option to configure and buy mechs, pilots, weapons and abilities, rather than be saddled with the pre-fab options offered in the campaign. In-game cash earned in either campaign mode or freelance can be spent on these upgrades and unlocks, which include new maps too. So if you’re butting heads against a particular mission, just buy a new one.

brig4.jpg

The downside of this is that the entirety of Brigador risks becoming something of a crash grind, in pursuit of the bigger, weirder, more devastating mech’n’gun options. It doesn’t help that the storytelling in the campaign is so deliberately cold and even obtuse that, while its fealty to sinister future corp-speak is impressive, there can be no emotional investment in it. This means it doesn’t feel appreciably different from Freelance missions, other than it can be ever so slightly more setpiece-y and it randomly rolls out wonderful toys from further down the tech tree long before you’d be able to afford them. (Not that this will save you from a spanking, mind).

C’mon though, this isn’t a game you’re playing for the story, but one you’re playing to trash cities and squish soldiers. It’s just good to have options, different places to go and try out, rather than become stuck in a funnel. The impressive variety of vehicles is a joy too: if big’n’stompy isn’t cracking a particular nut, how a fast hovertank that can turn invisible, or a giant bulldozer than lobs EMPs? Or a tiny, almost man-size walker which, though fragile, is damned tricky for the bigger beasts to get a lock onto?

brig5.jpg

The weapon choice is sprawling too, from simple machine guns to slow-reloading railguns to daisycutter bombs to a sort of Superman heatray and a ton of cannons and rockets in between. If anything, there are too many weapons with too similar names, and figuring out, let alone remembering, exactly what does what isn’t straightforward, but half of the fun of Brigador is only discovering what your new investment is actually capable of once you take it out into the field. Or rather, the industrial zone which will very shortly become a field. A flaming, smoking, rubble-strewn field.

Make no mistake, Brigador is a toybox first and foremost – assemble your dream mech or deathtank, take it out for a spin in Bladerunnerville, trash everything, have a bloody great fight. A few UI frustrations can’t take away the innate pleasure of that, especially when it looks so delightfully, tangibly model-like too. It’s not Mechwarrior, no, but it scratches pretty much every other mech itch going, and with style.

Brigador has left early access and has a full release as of today for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Are you penalized for destroying property? That would add a sort of reverse resource management aspect to the game.

Beastro

Arcane
That looks gorgeous indeed.

Reminds of faster, smoother version of this more than anything else:

First thing that came to my mind.

If it doesn't have its terrible zoomed in resolution it sounds great.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Based on trailer and other video, it's real time action pewpewdiedie. Look kinda like Mechcommander but worse.
NO mech configuration.
No pilot management.
All it does is to make a small mech figure on screen running around pewpew.
You know the feeling of stomping around in giant mecha like mechwarrior? Nothing like that here.
You know the feeling of managing multiple mecha on battlefield like mechcommander or the minigame of space rangers? Nothing about that here.

Brigador is no Earthsiege, it's a pure action game. In the Campaign you do have preset loadout options for each mission but the Freelance mode, which is the meat of the game IMO, allows any combination of pilot, vehicle and equipment. You unlock pilots, mechs etc with the money you make during Freelance and Campaign missions.

The game is good, it's challenging at times, it looks and sounds amazing (it runs on an in-house engine) and it's super polished.

D9646E37C3EFD194F66AD1C314580EBC19A5F1EB

8D885B53CAA18E7FDBA0E79D3F6D2466FFAE218D

Each mech has 2 main weapons with limited ammo and one unlimited but timed, "Special" (e.g. smoke or invisibility). There are ammo and armor pickups but you can't replenish your mech's health during a mission. There are different ammo types, health does not regenerate.

Mechs have "tank controls" (move with wasd, aim turret with mouse) but there are also other vehicles that have "strafe controls".

The massive butthurt these tank controls seem to cause among modern gamers is p funny to behold.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is the combat any fun, though? I usually don't put much trust on western games when it comes to exhilirating action.

lightbane

Arcane
No gameplay videos so far? :decline:

Let me fix this:

It doesn't seem that hard to keep track of everything unlike what that Rock Paper Socialjustice "reviewer" said though.

orcinator

Liturgist
Pirated the beta version where you only had access to freeplay or whatever; the aesthetics were nice but the gameplay felt really shallow and the destruction was lacking since everything just explodes when destroyed.

Will give it another try now that there's actual missions and stuff but I'm not expecting much.

Liked the soundtrack though, hope that gets uploaded too (it did, cool).

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Is it just you in your mech alone? Or do you have a pack of teammates?

Without a greater strategic/tactical element, I don't see myself enjoying this game.

randir14

Augur
Is it just you in your mech alone? Or do you have a pack of teammates?

Without a greater strategic/tactical element, I don't see myself enjoying this game.

Just you. It's a pure action game, no real strategy or tactics besides choosing your vehicle and weapon loadout.

orcinator

Liturgist
Done with the campaign, that makes.... 2-3 hours I think, if we count the time between the edit on my previous post and this one, give or take.

There's a freeplay mode but this definitely isn't worth 20bux.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why are you people complaining about a top down shooter like it's a strategy game? Are you retaded?
If I had to guess, a starved audience? Or perhaps mixed expectations when the word 'Mech' is thrown about. EDIT: Well, there is of course the new Battletech game, but that is only one game.

Game looks pretty damn sweet otherwise, definitely keeping an eye on it. Might pick up a 'demo' later and keep it on the wishlist.

orcinator

Liturgist
So yeah, this turned out to be as shallow as I expected.

In addition to being two hours long the campaign also sucks in general.

Missions are very samey, every single one has you enter the map, blow up a given number of marked buildings, blow up a number of marked units, or blow up a given number of any enemy units then head to an exit. The campaign doesn't let you customize your vehicle, instead each mission gives you a choice of 4 pilots (from a roster of less than 20) each with a preset loadout and early difficulty relies on figuring out which ones are good and which ones aren't, but new faces stop appearing halfway through (remember, this is a three hour game) so you'll just keep picking the handful you do well with (the loadouts are "balanced" in a way where most have a powerful and slow firing primary weapons and a weaker but fast firing (or more versatile) secondary weapon and the enemy compositions aren't all that varied so you can just stick with what worked before). There is one mission where you can't use your guns and special equipment and are against one big tank and bunch of suicide ships and you have to kite the ships until the tank blows them up with friendly fire then melee the tank to death and that's the only time the game tries to make you play differently.

I need to go to sleep and I'll write more stuff later but just know that the RPS review is full of shit on multiple levels and someone needs to tell infinitron that it's 2016 (cum on) and we shouldn't be paying attention to those fuckers.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom