Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Brigador: Up-Armored Edition - isometric mech action game

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Bought it after reading it was like BattleTech on Sega Genesis. Mostly spend time in freelance mode, because it lets you customize your mech. It is a load of fun, and is quite hard (at least for me, died several times on late parts of second freelance level). Can't say about $20, but this game is certainly worth $8 i paid for it =)
Edit: played more of Freelance mode and it's the way to play that game, not story. There's a lot of guns to choose from, and they are so far mostly enjoyable (i'd call railgun my favorite so far). Some are a bit gimmicky, but most are useable IMO. Gunplay is fun, different weapons behave differently, trajectory and speed wise, and require aim adjustment. Game claims to be tactical and there is some merit to that claim — just rushing in headfirst will probably get you killed. Using environment, defensive capabilities of your mech (like smokescreen) and prioritizing targets are crucial. So far i'd call the game hard, multi-map missions with no saves and 1 life, opponents can gang on you and you can't heal hull damage mid mission.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
More thoughts about the game:

As I said, it's shallow;

In addition to having the same objectives, the maps play similarly to each other since you're always the one attacking and the enemies are either patrolling or standing by until they get agrro'd and start charging at you. Your general strategy will involve trying to minimize the number of enemies engaged at once while you blast the enemies with whichever gun is most effective. There's a decent amount of weapons and enemy types but in both cases they fall into the "slow but strong" and "fast but weak" archetypes with some that are in between and others that have special gimmicks whose usefulness can go either way if we're talking about a gun but are often worthless if we're talking about an enemy type. Since the enemy compositions are balanced in a way there's always enough of each class of enemy to be troublesome you're required to pick out(or in the campaign, choose the vehicle with) a balanced loadout. Not being able to change your loadout is tolerable in the campaign since each map doesn't take that long to beat but becomes annoying in the freeplay mode where you have to complete several maps (3-18 in most operations, 39 in the last one) in a row without dying.

The game really feels like the devs just decided to ship it as soon as it was "complete" enough despite having little variety. Having a co-op mode (which I assume was planned since some of the missions descriptions mention there being up to 4 brigadors) would have helped, as would a destruction system that makes it fun to blow stuff up instead of making me wonder if this was some RTS or city building game before it turned into a shooter.

OP might know, given how he's probably a shill.

tormund

Arcane
OP might know, given how he's probably a shill.
:retarded:

I don't see that anyone, either devs or OP, claimed how this was serious simulation with deep customization.
Game is a fun fast paced isometric action and looking at their marketing it doesn't pretend to be anything else. And it's not like we are getting tons of well made isometric shooters nowadays...

It's your mistake that you bought a game expecting it to be something it never aimed nor pretended to be...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fucking imgur.

happy cake day, 5 years of gamedev will kill you

This is me, at the start and finish of making my first game. As things look right now, it's also going to be my only game.

My big brother and I started our company in 2011, and along with 2 programmers fresh out of college like me (but really good as we found out) set out to make a game from scratch. New engine, new type of game. He and I both have been big on game design for a while now, though only he properly documented it with a design blog for a few years: http://tinyurl.com/htdnmsv

So with just the four of us, starting full time in 2012 we went on to build Brigador, a real-time isometric mech game with tactical combat and fully destructible environments. Aka a kool-aid man simulator. http://store.steampowered.com/app/274500

Want to pilot a 100-ton behemoth while doing your best impersonation of the kool-aid man? You can do that.

Want to sneak around in a light mech with a stealth field, assassinating lone targets? You can do that too...

...or you can just blast the whole place apart, all up to you. Part of the reason we wrote our own engine was so that we could realize the game world this way. Real destructibility, not just lip service. Our players have likened Brigador to Desert Strike, Future Cop LAPD, Syndicate, Crusader: No Remorse, Mech Warrior 3050, and Walker, if that's any indication. Here's a proper trailer if you want to see more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPnjH8a-W1U

Our goal with the game was to make something that respected players' time and gave them a large variety of ways to play the game, and I think we did that. But it turns out it's much harder to get reviewers to look at your game if there's any kind of barrier to entry-- which in our case was tank controls and challenging gameplay. Press coverage is all about critical mass, and it's a horrible horrible catch-22. If your game has any of those barriers, you have to either rely on a reputation you've already established, or find some reviewers you click with to go to bat for you. If you're lucky you'll get some momentum and be able to keep running that cycle until you build up enough of an audience to be sustainable.

In our case, 5 years of self-funded work to try and make a unique game, and we released v1.0 last week to resounding... silence. Rock Paper Shotgun* gave us a nice review promptly after release, and PC Gamer** did a nice preview about all the extras we did and has a review in the pipe, but that's about it. Been 12 days since we released the game and there aren't even enough reviews to give us a metacritic score. You need 4 reviews to get a metacritic score. And I know the close timing to E3 is a factor here but there was still 2 weeks lead time, and I guarantee you it wouldn't be an issue if Brigador had ever been considered an "important" game. *https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/03/brigador-review/ **http://www.pcgamer.com/brigador-is-releasing-in-june-with-an-unusual-extra/

Game development itself is great for the most part, but financial realities not so much. We didn't have a publisher, and didn't want to do a kickstarter on the very real possibility that we'd fail to finish. So that left us with being completely self-funded, code for spending what savings you might have had, relying on the generosity of your family and the frankly irrational confidence they have in you, and living frugally in a low cost college-town. This picture is what my life has been like for the last five years: living together with my coworkers, office instead of a living room, and being too exhausted to cook or clean up after ourselves. Most days we either eat at our desks or at that coffee table while watching Archer, Bob's Burgers, or Star Trek. By the last couple of months, eat/sleep/develop became our sole activities as it was the only way we could hit our "we're out of money/sanity" ship dates.

As an added bonus, the stress of that situation 5 years on, plus shipping the game has reduced me from a guy who boxed in college* to a 30lb heavier idiot who had to see a doctor for what I discovered were panic attacks (new horizons!). Also following bloodwork being done, the doctor was perplexed by how low my Vitamin D levels were until I explained to him that I literally never go outside anymore. He also asked if I had a stressful job, so I laughed. *http://i.imgur.com/wHrIwXP.jpg

This is what selling an indie game is like if you're not one of the Specials. Every game has peaks in sales that decay, but normally those slide into a baseline rate that's higher than non-existent. Media coverage, both press and youtube/twitch, largely determines both how high your sales peaks are, as well as how quickly they decay. When all mention of you or your game disappears from the internet within a few days, you don't have momentum so much as a flatline. The only time Brigador has ever actually been covered by major traffic is when, ironically, it wasn't being covered at all. Back in February I had the extraordinary fortune of writing a frustrated but humorous response to a pair of posters on our forums who were dutifully informing me that the game I'd spent 5 years building wasn't worth $20, but magically became so at $15. That post* went viral, and for the first time (outside a buried paragraph snippet) got us covered by Kotaku** and various others. The ensuing sales spike, which you can see above on the right, sold more copies of the game than our Early Access launch. And before you say anything, our Early Access sales were so bad that GOG backed out of adding Brigador to their platform. I really enjoyed getting that email. I'm glad the viral streak happened, and it gave us a little breathing room, but it also shows just how massive an impact simple visibility makes for sales. So as a developer, especially one of limited means, past a certain point your hands are simply tied. And that's terrifying. If the gaming gods don't favor you, it doesn't matter what you've made, you're just screwed. In our case, it would mean coming away with an ivy league education's worth of debt. *http://steamcommunity.com/app/27450...02673468/?tscn=1456139312#c405692224242982114 **http://kotaku.com/steam-dev-fights-price-complaints-with-excellent-breakd-1760852068

This isn't an Indiepocalypse post. That would imply the market isn't large enough to support the breadth of games being made, which I don't believe to be the case. We know there's a market for Brigador, but you can't buy what you don't know exists. So yeah, that's my spiel. If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I'm not asking for pity, and I only want you to buy the game if it actually interests you. I'm not saying we did everything right, I just want to be able to keep doing my job. So if you feel like helping out, just tell people we exist. Share this post, or just send someone to our steam page. We love making games, I think we've made damn good one too. But that all ends if we don't get some kind of a bump soon. And if you're someone seriously considering going into indie dev right now, my honest advice is don't. You might get lucky, but more than likely you'll just end up with a pile of debt and a handful of (admittedly wonderful) customers.

As an addendum, I'd be a huge jerk if I didn't mention the phenomenal work of some guys we collaborated with. Makeup and Vanity Set did 2 1/2 hours of original music for Brigador, the 1st half of which is available now while the rest will be ready by the end of the month. If you like John Carpenter synths, the Hotline Miami OST etc then you'll be at home with his music. I've been listening to it for years and I still love it. You can get it direct from him as well as a vinyl here: http://makeupandvanityset.com/

And last of all, you know how with some games you wonder "why didn't they just make a book/movie?" Well that's what we did. In Brad Buckmaster we found a keen writer with an extraordinary grasp for conveying action. We liked it so much we did an audiobook to accompany it. You can get both the audiobook* and the OST together as part of the DLC**, and you can find the book on amazon*** as well. Brad's similarly new to his industry and deserves any love you can send his way. *https://soundcloud.com/gausswerks/sets/brigador-audiobook **http://store.steampowered.com/app/468280/ ***https://www.amazon.com/Brigador-Brad-Buckmaster-ebook/dp/B01G8UZZSW

tormund

Arcane
Yeah, that is a legit depressing read, and I think it'll push me into buying this game the moment I have some money to spare on my account.

Seeing number of user reviews and concurrent players for something like this compared to gimmicky Game Maker/Unity indie game no. 12323231232, or how only time they received some media attention prior to release was when Kotaku & co used complaints about price for another stab at "entitled gamers"... just confirms how broken indie game scene on PC is these days.

Astral Rag

Arcane
04a69bb47aacdd98e0652419e3935ed5.jpg

http://www.dorkly.com/post/77413/game-dev-gives-brilliant-reply-to-complaints-about-games-price

Last edited:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is 20$ a (relatively)high price for an Amerifat or western European to pay for a game?
It really depends on the game, if you only will have 2 or 3 hours of playtime, and/or if it's fake retro pixel shit, then yes it is a high price.

EDIT: I'm not talking about Brigador.

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Brigador is a "normal" game not 2-3 hours casual stuff. It's kind of like an old pc action game from the 90s so it's not "fake retro" imo. Maybe it appears as such and/or has a very "niche" appeal...

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wasn't referring to Brigador;

warpig I guess my post was misleading a bit, personally I find short games or games with horribad graphics (more like, horrible aesthetics) not worth the full price / or anything above 10$.

Brigador looks (gfx wise) as solid as, let's say, Satellite Reign. So price point around that would be fair. Now on the other hand it's seldom that I but anything over 15, more because I can always wait for a sale - this goes for the mainstream titles as well. I think the more expensive games I bought were Kickstarted. Can't remember shelling out 20+ for anything on Steam.. ever.

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Asked for the review key on evolve - I guess I can give them the review or something. Not really the profile of my channel, but you know, I can understand their pain. Even though it's 100% self-induced - you just don't act this way on the indie-market. They've pretty much tried to fight honest and, well, that's real stupid. Fight honest and you get fucked. Wish it worked the other way.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
"brilliant"

More like stupid. You don't price things by how much you think it's worth but how much people are willing to pay. They would probably make more money with this at $10 than at $20, as they'll realize once they give a proper discount.

No surprise that only people from rich countries are buying the game, unless there's a huge untapped market for top down mech shooters in Norway and Germany to warrant them representing 1/5 of the playerbase.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
Kinda sad that they couldn't even get journos to give them the time of day but judging by their posts they ad too much confidence in their product and assumed they'd get all the advertising they need through word of mouth. They could have easily cut the book that nobody is going to read and spent the money on some youtubers.

I don't see that anyone, either devs or OP, claimed how this was serious simulation with deep customization.

I assumed it might have been at one point, given how much effort was spent on pretty buildings and how little effort was spent on making it fun to blow stuff up.

It's your mistake that you bought a game expecting it to be something it never aimed nor pretended to be...

lol

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
More like stupid. You don't price things by how much you think it's worth but how much people are willing to pay. They would probably make more money with this at $10 than at $20, as they'll realize once they give a proper discount.

Well I don't know, more like they are following the Vault Dweller school of pricing your game what it's worth and not giving a fuck. Eventually there will be a sale and people waiting for the 15$ price point will buy it - AoD also had a big bump during sale. Nothing wrong with that, and not like they are going to starve meanwhile. Woyuld be sad if they had to shut down because of this, but they should not expect instant return of costs - AoD is, IIRC, only now approaching break-even point. Brigador guys just need to hang in there, and try to generate some awareness in the horrible youtube/twitter world or whatever kids these days seem to follow. Either that, or buckle up on some extra patience and do smart during upcoming summer sale now that the game is actually still fresh.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
To be honest AoD is a different affair because there is really no game like it. Top down shooters are fairly common, this one just has good grafics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To be honest AoD is a different affair because there is really no game like it. Top down shooters are fairly common, this one just has good grafics.

Ideally indie development should be about more than making a good game. It should also be a game nobody else has made, or even a game nobody else could make.

But the upside of making a good indie game that sold poorly is that you can still trade it in for a job in the AAA industry (I wonder how often that happens? You don't seem to hear about it, but I can't imagine that it's not prevalent). I mean, what better qualification is there? I guess they might go like, "Huh, it took you five years to make this? Anybody could do that." Indie developers who are able to develop games on a more realistically tight schedule might do better there.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It definitely counts to have developed something. I know a guy who applied to a game dev company and they asked him to make some shit on NWN2 to show design abilities.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What Happens After An Indie Game Fails On Steam

z3gcby2v2w7k08pcb0ll.jpg

Brigador took five years to create. It’s a mech game with a great retro-chic look, a standout soundtrack, and fully desctructible everything. The developers jokingly call it a “Kool-Aid Man simulator.” On Steam, it has a 94 percent positive rating. Despite all that, it flopped.

In the wake of a small handful of reviews and dismal sales, the game’s lead developer, Hugh Monahan, described his team’s trials and tribulations in a lengthy Imgur post. It was titled, “Happy cake day, 5 years of game dev will kill you.” Cheery!

In it, he lamented the stress of creating a game while crammed in a small house with his whole team, the struggle to gain visibility despite a big (for an indie) marketing push, and made note of his own physical and mental decline. “The stress of that situation 5 years on, plus shipping the game has reduced me from a guy who boxed in college to a 30lb heavier idiot who had to see a doctor for what I discovered were panic attacks,” Monahan wrote. “Also following bloodwork being done, the doctor was perplexed by how low my Vitamin D levels were until I explained to him that I literally never go outside anymore. He also asked if I had a stressful job, so I laughed.”

The post garnered a fair amount of attention both positive and negative. Some people commiserated. Others called out the Brigador team for launching their game right before E3, designating successful indies “Specials” without giving them credit for the work and good fortune that got them there, and making some unwise development decisions.

Now that the dust has settled, I decided to check in on Hugh and his brother Jack to see where things are at and how they’re picking up the pieces after their indie Titanic sank.

Kotaku: Going into all of this, what were you expecting? How much had you prepared? What was your financial situation like? How were you expecting the game to do?

Hugh Monahan: Originally, it was just three of us. My brother didn’t actually enter into development until late 2012. When we started, I was pretty much fresh out of college, I was about a year out from college. I was working as a substitute teacher and doing freelance illustrations. It was basically the two guys, two programmers had money saved up from internships at companies like Mythic.

For me personally, in the early days, I was able to support myself with part-time work or freelance. Then basically we just got our family to give us the cushion that we needed. If you don’t have a parachute, that completely changes how you’re able to operate. The ground rule for us as a team was that, if we’re going to do this, we’re going to do it our way and we’re going to make a game. We didn’t want to do this kind of like, spend part time working on commissioned games for other studios, and then earn up money when we could, and then spend that on direct debt cycles for our game. I’m not trying to denigrate that. That is a very sensible way to handle things, and it’s how I know a lot of studios are able to balance their working capital.

For us, the idea was if I’m going to make games, I want to make my game. We all felt that way. If we were going to do it, it was like, OK, we were going to bet the farm. We’re going to do it our way, and then it either works out or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t, we’ll go our separate ways and we’ll figure something else out. One of the boons was living in Illinois, where the cost of living is very low. Then add on to that us living together and turning our living room into an office, our burn rate was exceedingly low.

That allowed us to operate for a long basis, especially when we were only part time at first, without really hemorrhaging money. Then my brother Jack, with him, he had a lot of money that he had managed to save up from his freelance work and from his previous gigs. He basically removed himself entirely from the equation, other than financially at least.

We basically had as large of a reserve as we could manage and we minimized that burn rate. Then it was, I’m going to be honest, there were times when it was really, really shitty. When you’ve got three dudes in a two bedroom apartment for years at a time pulling days 12 hours or longer, that’s tough. It’s not the fun like social network hacker house, like, “Whoa man, let’s get drunk and program.” We had some fun times, but it was much more just nose to the grindstone, like we’ve got to get this done. When we needed to draw on it, my family was fortunately there.

Brigador never would have been made if we weren’t able to devote full-time to it. Or rather, it would have been a much, much tinier thing.

Kotaku: You made an Imgur post that gained a lot of traction about the struggles you ended up facing while creating and releasing Brigador. Why did you decide to make that post? Was it a heat of the moment thing, or was it a calculated effort to get a little publicity?

Hugh Monahan: It was a little bit of everything. You guys on the site covered previously, back in February, I wrote a Steam post about the game’s price, and that one got a lot of traction. That was basically a second early access launch for us. That was when I realized that for us, at least for Brigador as game, visibility was just one of the major bottlenecks. I knew that there was a chance to kind of reach out to people by writing something like that.

This has basically been my first real project. I did some kind of hobbyist level game dev for about a year and a half prior to starting Stellar Jockeys. The combination of this being a first project as well as being based out of Champaign, Illinois, the volition is there but there’s not really any other indies. The closest places would be Chicago and St. Louis.

When we had started back in 2011, even those communities weren’t nearly as active as they are now. For a long time, we were basically developing almost entirely in isolation. It was just hard to get this kind of information. It was the same kind of thing with the price post that I wrote. It was a combination of, I guess, venting some of that frustration. We’d been struggling so long to try and get this thing out there, and we think we’ve got something good, but there hasn’t been a commensurate response to it, but also to help other developers really just to maybe be able to see the iceberg in the distance so that that’s something that you can maybe prepare a little bit more for.

Especially with the launch, we all were under a lot of stress just getting the game out. What I didn’t expect was that probably the first week and a half post-launch were just as difficult as that large period of time. I was doing 16 hour days for a good couple of weeks prior to the actual launch itself.

The problem with going out after the launch, I had nothing left in the tank to do a lot of this marketing and support and follow through with people that is just as important, if not more, than the launch itself.

Jack Monahan: We worked really hard and, in fact, we made a call there. We said, you know, we need to make sure that this game is actually really in shape to launch before it got to the press. It did mean that we missed our press window. You don’t need to be told just how important that is because you’ve got that stream headed your way too as a journalist. You’re expected to write about things and it just keeps coming. There’s just always more game.

For us, yeah, a lot of that kind of understanding the post is, we had not the best launch window, but we were just about to lose one of our coders. We really couldn’t push the launch of the game after E3. We had this little window before E3 and it’s like, well, this is going to be it. We launched and just a lot of silence. Hugh was realizing that due to prior interactions with people, did people find out about our game? They get to play the game for a while, they really like it. We’re sitting at a 94% positive rating on Steam and that’s a really proud thing, but you can’t do much with it unless people know about the game.

Kotaku: Yeah, I think a lot of people looked at your post and said, “Well of course their game didn’t get much attention. They launched way too close to E3. What a silly thing to do.” Your Early Access timing wasn’t great, either. You definitely got dinged for that.

Jack Monahan: Yeah, from my perspective, I think the really humbling lesson is that, I’ve been working in the industry in various capacities for about 10 years, longer than my brother. Is that it’s easy to have this little voice in the back of your head that, you see some of these difficult stories come out in the press and say, oh, well, that’s tough. That’s tough, but their game really isn’t that good. When my game comes out, it’s going to be brilliant and everyone’s going to see that it’s brilliant. Without really second guessing that, everyone’s got that little voice in their heads. It’s like, oh man, I can’t believe my friend Steve moved out to Hollywood and didn’t become Brad Pitt, but that’s still going to happen to me, so I’m not worried.

“A very good game may not save you. Hard work, a good game, and a couple lucky breaks—it’s still not enough.”
That’s one of those things that is just you constantly have to combat is that hard work may not save you. A very good game may not save you. Hard work, a good game, and a couple lucky breaks—it’s still not enough. The current state, I wake up and say, hey, at least I’m not trying to develop a mobile game. It’s something like 300 games per day are released on the app store for Apple.

On Steam though, it’s a more manageable six or seven a day. That’s still six or seven a day. It’s very interesting, interesting is a weird way to put it, it’s terrifying to watch your game. You’ve got that popular new releases board, which is not the popular board, which is usually fairly unchanging by the same hits. Your popular new releases board is kind of like, each little game gets its little life vest made out of paper, like wax paper, and everyone’s like, “Yay, we’re floating!” It’s like, you’re not floating. You just got a little bit of air still left in you.

Hugh Monahan: You just haven’t drowned yet. Once that life jacket dissolves, you just sink to the bottom.

One thing I would add to that is just that, and if I gave this impression with either of the posts, I didn’t mean to, I never meant to say that we didn’t make mistakes. I kind of had that as an assumption with writing the piece. Again, this was our first project. Not even just talking about the release itself. We took five years to ship a game and we wrote our own engine, for all intents and purposes, that’s suicide. If you could assume that people on Imgur and Reddit would actually read like a 15-page post, then I actually would have fully articulated all of the circumstances going into it and why we made this decision.

You don’t have that kind of bandwidth. A lot of that kind of explaining had to get cut. One of the biggest things that I realized was just that I made the mistake of assuming that scaling up the size of a game would also scale up the coverage of it. That was a completely wrong assumption and one that actually we suffered a lot for because so much of it is just about becoming a known quantity, establishing a reputation for yourself, establishing your studio.

Kotaku: It’s always interesting to see what catches on. It comes from all sorts of places. Sometimes it’s just a zeitgeist thing. Stardew Valley is a good example of that. That game was in development for many years, came out, and immediately became a top seller. Everybody was talking about it. Turns out, it was a thing nobody knew they wanted.

Hugh Monahan: Right, which seems absurd to think about the equivalent in other mediums, especially like music. Music is so ephemeral, but imagine trying to come up with a cool, hip album that takes four or five years. It ends up with a Chinese Democracy, Guns ‘N’ Roses style. It ends up an absurd artifact, instantly dated. Yet that’s how a lot of games are made.

Kotaku: Yeah. Although I think there’s also the example of the like small-time artists who’s been working on a collection of songs for years and years. They finally release it, and that’s just what people wanted at the time.

Hugh Monahan: That’s true. No, that’s true.

Kotaku: I’ve seen the music comparison come up a lot recently in relation to indie games. It’s becoming like indie music. Anybody can make it, so don’t assume you’re gonna hit it big, because there’s a good chance you won’t, even if you made something really good. The caveat being that a lot of indie developers don’t seem to view it that way yet. They go all-in on their game and don’t cushion themselves against potential failure.

Hugh Monahan: I think in some ways, yes, but I think it’s already something you see in the indie space. That if you treat it that way, you are necessarily hemmed in quite a bit with the kind of games that you can produce, which is going to create, you already see it with a lot of games. Raise your hand if you’re going to play another side-scrolling platformer.

It’s just really tough, but there’s a reason. There’s totally reasons. Once you start checking the boxes, saying, okay, I can’t spend too much time on this, time’s money, money is time. I can’t do this full-time. I’ve got to do this. I’ve got to do that. I’ve been learning how to do this on my own. Suddenly, all the things you think are like, well, that’s a little crowded in the indie sphere, suddenly you end up doing a game just like that because unless you’re willing to kind of put something else into it, you just end up, it’s another stone in the pond.

“Raise your hand if you’re going to play another side-scrolling platformer.”
The thing I would say is that, while from a lot of judgment standpoints, making an engine doesn’t make sense. Just in that there are tools available that can mitigate a lot of the time required to develop a game.

The counter to that is, first of all, we started this in 2011. Unreal and Unity were in very, very different states back when we started. It wasn’t like the environment is as it is now. The other thing is that people, I don’t think people realize just how much the engine that you use influences the game you’ll end up making. Not just from a structural standpoint, but also from a performative as well.

When we started, there were these sort of two core goals with the game. One was that kind of destructibility be this fundamental aspect of the game. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is one of my favorite games. I liked a lot, but there was frustrations with that. Any quest, like mission critical component would have been stuffed in like a big resistant box. It’s like, oh, the terrain is deformable and self-destructible so long as it doesn’t actually matter that much. We wanted to build a game from the ground up where it’s like, no, no, this is the fundamental component of the game.

The other part was just, we wanted to try and build something that was legitimately different from the market of games currently being fielded. A side effect of that is that our iteration time, our design time was much, much longer. I’m really proud of what we ended up doing, but I think a lot of people, both developers and consumers, don’t realize that outside of getting lucky and something just clicking immediately, when you actually want to build something different, you are dramatically increasing your iteration time.

If people want something different, it’s one of the common complaints about games. Why are people making the same game over and over again? Why haven’t things moved forward? Because that’s actually really expensive and takes a long time. It’s much less of a known quantity.

Kotaku: Thanks to things like Kickstarter, developer blogs and diaries, and the like, I think a lot of people believe they understand game development. As a result, like, they feel a sense of authority when saying, “That game shouldn’t cost so much” or what have you. But I think it’s actually a Dunning-Kruger sort of situation. People know a little, but they believe they know it all.

Hugh Monahan: I think part of it is just doing a better job of actually documenting these processes, like Two Player Productions did in their Double Fine documentary. I tried to blog Brigador’s development, but it ended up being too much to juggle.

One of the, I think it was very succinctly put, David Wolinsky, he does theDon’t Die interview series, he talked with Warren Spector and actually asked him almost this exact question. Why aren’t games being better documented or read? Why aren’t people more informed about it? He just very succinctly said, “Because it’s not as sexy as movies.” We don’t have stars talking about their acting process and stuff. I think, to a limited degree, we can try to make it more like that.

Kotaku: The gaming industry is creating personalities, now, though. They’re filling that gap. You’ve got Twitch and YouTube and stuff, and all these people are kind of, in their own way, becoming the faces of games they didn’t necessarily have any involvement in the creation of. They’re the stars, the drama, the gossip.

Jack Monahan: Yes. I actually really enjoy that, but I would make the crucial distinction between playing and kind of presenting the game versus the one building the game. To circle back to Hugh’s post about getting visibility, a lot of the responses were about what people kind of have in their head about, what do you do when you’ve got your game out there and you need to get it out to more people? One of the most common refrains is, “Oh, you know, just send your game key out to a popular YouTuber. How hard could it be?” It’s actually pretty hard because, again, we’re all still figuring this out.

“Oh, you know, just send your game key out to a popular YouTuber. How hard could it be?”
Hugh Monahan: The way I look at Youtube and Twitch is that it’s almost more like finding a form of patronage. It’s one thing, like one-off streams or videos, like we just had one person review the game, and that video has like 20,000 views right now. It gave us a nice little uptick. Ezekiel_III streamed the game. For about four hours we were in there. We were chatting with about 600 people on the stream. Those were great but those were basically kind of one-off. Within a week, the impact of that is almost entirely diminished once again.

Kotaku: Right, because what is the brand that they’re building? They’re building their personal brand. They’re not necessarily there to support your game. I’ve seen some of the discussion recently, at least in indie circles, kind of shift to, well, what can we as a community do to compensate for this?

Hugh Monahan: I see indie communities as a kind of scaffold for which you can build your game around. Not every game is going to be super popular or even readily lend itself to that kind of viral word of mouth sort of thing. I think a really good example is Duskers. That’s a game that, on paper, should not be successful. I love the game. I think it’s fabulous, but it’s actually done way better than I expected it to. I think a large component of that is that, on the developer as well as media side, people have embraced it. That kind of gave it enough legs to get picked up more. In a slightly different universe, I think that’s a game that would have just immediately gotten buried. Enough people were talking about it that you got that kind of ball rolling.

Part of it’s just becoming part of a community. That is the best thing, I think, that we are able to do for each other, where it’s like you share contacts, you share kind of your war stories. The irony there is that by the time I was properly getting integrated into some of those communities, I had already learned a majority, or not a majority, but like I had already learned a lot of the lessons the hard way that I could have benefited from just from talking with people.

But that’s kinda how it goes, right? You don’t just let any random asshole just come into your circle and be like, “Oh, I’m an indie dev. I’ve written a couple lines of java code. Welcome me into the fold.” There’s this weird kind of, you’ve got to get far enough to show that you’re serious in order to be integrated into that community or in order to have that kind of viability. Then from there, you can start getting those responses.

Something that I think we could do, hopefully do a little better job with, is this kind of active mentorship. I’m not entirely sure how you would structure that, but Warren Spector did that lecture series at the University of Austin. I don’t even know if those videos are up any more, but he did like 12 hour long lectures. I remember watching those in college and my mind, cue the shot from Requiem for a Dream of people expanding. I think we need to do a better job, from like an institutional standpoint, showing, providing this kind of mentorship because it’s impossible to have just one on one all the time.

Kotaku: At this point, how are you doing? I know that in the Imgur post, things seemed pretty grim. The game wasn’t selling well, and also you mentioned some health stuff like gaining weight and anxiety attacks. What about now?

Jack Monahan: I’m not entirely sure Hugh can see where he’s at because he’s still in the thick of it, so I’ll start the answer for him. He’s still not giving himself a chance to recuperate. Thankfully, I’m have a family. I have two small children. That has been a sort of natural limiter on all of these activities. I still ended up, the week of release, I still ended up pulling two 24 hour days. Which is very, very different thing when you’re living at home with your two children. For the most part, it just ended up being the kind of thing where I’ve got to work smarter not harder, but at the end of the day, I’ve still got to get some amount of sleep because I have to help my wife out with this kids. I can’t just throw this all at her.

There can be a civilizing component to having a significant other. Hugh doesn’t have that, and he doesn’t have the distance and experience that comes from having worked on other games that weren’t amazing.

You hear stories like the one from the creator of Stanley Parable. People really raked him over the coals for that. It just goes to show that it’s something like postpartum depression a lot of these guys go through, because you bet the farm on these games, and even when it does really, really well, it can feel really strange negative after that is gone. If you’ve identified yourself with this thing and then that thing is gone, well, who are you now?

It’s still been hard for me as well, and we’re still learning lessons. I’m at least in a situation where I’m able to pace myself a little bit more. Hugh still needs a lot of time to, he just needs down time. He’s been living cooped up with these other guys. I live with my family. That’s relaxing for me.

“I’m not saying Brigador is perfect.”
Hugh Monahan: I’m not saying Brigador is perfect. There’s a lot of issues and a lot of stuff that either can never be fixed or I just need time and I do plan on addressing. When people have those criticisms, that is not something I have trouble with, but I have genuine issues with when someone, when these kind of off the cuff 10 second judgements of something when it’s coming from a completely uninformed position. It’s endemic to internet culture, right? You look at a YouTube video for five seconds and it’s like, “eh”. That kind of knee jerk gut reaction to things. It’s very hard as a developer to not take that on the nose or to want to immediately address and respond to those things.

The other thing is that for five years, I’ve been doing exactly what I want to do. I absolutely love my job. The only downside is that, a) I’m not making any money doing it and b) I’m doing too much. As much as I love game development, it would be nice if my average workday was more like 8 to 10 hours, 5 to 6 days a week, as opposed to the like 12 to 16, 6 to 7. You can only run that hard for so long.

I’ve had some fruitful conversations with some other developers along those similar lines, where it does become a diminishing returns. There are side effects. That post might have been a touch melodramatic, but everything I said in it is true. I boxed in college. I’m no Adonis, but I was a guy in shape. That was something that I kind of prided myself on. It’s been very frustrating when you could go from that into not being that. There’s just no energy at the end of the day. You do what you can.

Kotaku: In your post, you advised people to stay away from indie game development right now. It was a pretty sweeping conclusion, all things considered. Do you think you went overboard there, or at least that what you said might have lacked some qualifiers in regards to other people’s situations and your own mistakes?

Jack Monahan: I think Hugh might be a little salty about it, but I think it’s absolutely worth saying. In order to make games, you already have to fight through so many different kinds of things, different obstacles that other professions don’t.

If someone telling you no is going to stop you, then no is, in fact, the full answer. I’ll let Hugh answer for himself, but I think that’s still absolutely the message. Just because we made a go of it. We had a lot of reserves. We had a lot of coming at it with this. It still was much, I mean we expected it to be hard, but it was harder for us than we expected.

I’m talking with my wife. She’s put a lot on hold for what she wanted to do with our lives, talking about getting a house and these other kinds of things that we expect to do at our age. I don’t know if another project, another game project is going to be something I’m going to do or if I’m going to do contract work. I genuinely don’t know what my future holds right now. If you want a stable future, if you want these other kinds of things, this is probably not the industry at this level.

I would say that we actually had a lot more runway than the vast majority of people going into independent development. We were extraordinarily fortunate. Again, admittedly, we made a lot of mistakes. There’s also this component of like, we were present in this kind of landscape for two years. Multiple trailers, working with the PR agency, we did Early Access, got really good feedback, and I’m glad we did it, although I would have done it differently knowing what I know now.

I don’t even know how these guys manage it living in like Chicago or LA or Seattle. I’ve got probably half the living expenses that they do and we don’t have an office. There’s all these other things that we’re not having to deal with. That’s one of the reasons why we had the long runway we were able to have.

I don’t want this to turn into the whole indiepocalypse thing. I’m very well versed with that conversation. The one thing I would add to that is, I think a lot of that conversation circles around there not being a market for games. I would counter, I’d say I think the market is there. The problem is visibility and awareness on a consumer standpoint. Part of it is just you’re competing with triple-A games on discount from a couple years ago, but as well as just simply knowing about the game. That’s something that we knew based on these previous spikes from my post and from what coverage we did get.

Visibility is directly related to our sales at this point. If you can’t gain that traction, it’s not a trivial thing. It’s not just like, oh, make sure you write a good email to press guys and have a nice header. It’s the extraordinary amount of work involved, honestly, sometimes I kind of despair for where things can go just because there’s so much required of you to penetrate that market if you’re not, if you don’t catch, if you’re not part of the outliers.

“While we made some mistakes, who’s dressing down the Stardew Valley guy for spending five years on his game?”
Again, maybe I’m completely wrong in this, but I think there’s the risk of what people, what potentially great designers are trying to come into the market right now are either just going to flounder completely or burn out within five years and never actually make it, or matriculate to the point where they’re a Warren Spector or a Richard Garriott. Because you can’t survive. It’s so much harder to reach viability right now.

But while we made some mistakes, who’s dressing down the Stardew Valley guy for spending five years on his game? No one’s arguing that he shouldn’t have spent five years on that game because it was a huge hit. You can’t a priori go back and say, well, OK, here’s your plan. You can spend five years if it’s going to be a big hit. Well, we don’t know that starting out, so do we spend the five years or not?

The other takeaway I would suggest—and this is from a wider perspective before I did indie—is that you should get as many lessons as you can. I would say definitely treat your peers like classmates and kind of help bring each other up, because that has been one constant throughout my career in the industry.

Kotaku: How important do you think it is to accept that, on some level, luck will always be a component of success or failure, no matter how much the stars align otherwise?

Jack Monahan: Yep, that’s definitely important. At the end of the day, the thing you make is not you. It’s wonderful to put yourself into it, but it also really hurts when that thing doesn’t do well. At the end of the day, if you can say, I’m proud of this thing that I did and I’m going to make some more, and hope for the best, that’s all you can do.

Hugh Monahan: If I do end up stepping away from games, what I can say is that I put it on the line for Brigador and I’m, ultimately, extremely proud of the game that we made. I don’t feel like I left anything, I guess I would have liked to have kept on working on it, but ultimately, the thing that we ended up building and shipping is something that I put it all on the field.

I would say that we have, rightly so, gotten some criticism for, again, why did you do this huge thing? Or, five years on a project is silly. Hearing that one from a lot of other developers as well actually, but it’s like I don’t want to piddle around with these sort of half measure games for several years, for like a decade, to get up the steam to build my magnum opus. Then suddenly realize that I don’t know what that is any more and I’m already married with a couple kids and all these other things.

It’s like, no, if I’m going to do this, I’m going to do it right and I’m going to build the thing I want to build. You know what? If it doesn’t take, fine. I can step away and be proud of what I made and maybe I’ll come back in 5, 10 years. At least I did this one thing.

Quigs

Magister
Is there any reason this was a mech game? From what I can tell from watching videos, this game was closer to the old Desert/Jungle Strike games on the genesis, and slapped the mech title on for broader interest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom