Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Brigand: Oaxaca - post-apocalyptic RPG/FPS set in Mexico

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://af.gog.com/en/game/brigand_gold?as=1649904300

I'm not sure what to make of this:

Brigand: Oaxaca is a highly difficult post-apocalyptic RPG/FPS set in Mexico. The story will take you from a banana plantation to dark toxic caverns, to the sprawling city of Pochutla, to the flooded coastline, to deadly demon-infested jungles, and more.

There are 14 unique skills to upgrade with skill points, ranging from agility to firearms, hacking, hardware, voodoo. Unlock up to 80 special abilities that allow you to do things such as throw your weapon, upgrade your guns, and control the weather.

Dangers include rival tribes fighting for fertile land, mutated ghouls that emerge from their caverns at night, vicious demons that hunger for your flesh, a flooded and irradiated coastline that eats away at civilization, disease, insanity, and hunger.

You will die often, and you will like it.

Key Features:

- Branching story with dynamic characters, dialogue trees, and multiple endings

- Total freedom of movement and action: jump from roof to roof, steal things, blow things up, or murder friendly characters (if that's your thing)

- Extensive character customization with 14 skills to upgrade and over 80 abilities to unlock, ranging from firearms to crafting, hacking, and voodoo

- Crafting system largely based on the Anarchist's Cookbook: make various grenades from empty beer cans and the proper chems, etc.

- Explore a vast region of Oaxaca, taking you from a banana plantation, into toxic caverns, bustling cities, disease-ridden jungles, and a flooded coastline

At least it looks its creator poured a lot into this.

There's a demo if you dare to try: https://blancaster45.itch.io/brigand-oaxaca-demo

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Brigand: Oaxaca is a highly difficult post-apocalyptic RPG/FPS set in Mexico. The story will take you from a banana plantation to dark toxic caverns, to the sprawling city of Pochutla, to the flooded coastline, to deadly demon-infested jungles, and more.

There's a demo if you dare to try: https://blancaster45.itch.io/brigand-oaxaca-demo

I think it's probably gonna end up like that indie vampire game (can't remember the name) - ambitious ideas, lousy execution.

You mean BloodLust: ShadowHunter?
That is actually a pretty fun game and waaaaaayyyy more consistent in its art style. Still obviously a budget title, but not nearly as crappy looking as this one ;)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is actually a pretty fun game and waaaaaayyyy more consistent in its art style.
Dunno. Graphics-wise I think this one looks very much like a post-apo Gothic1/2. I thought those were loved here. ;)
I had another look... and noticed that one of the main reason everything looks so horrible is the complete lack of effects. There aren't even shadows in the screenshots.
Nor animations that do not cause this reaction in me: :?
I do not consider myself a graphics whore by a long shot, but even I have limits :lol:

Just... compare those three (BloodLust, Brigand: Oa..whatever, Gothic 1)
ss_faabd3ebee949318a7f8b167b48ae52e1420b5b2.1920x1080.jpg

ss_723995a7900a1d7fbbee6b3a1b4fa9b96d4a978c.1920x1080.jpg

1470941423-1314153793.jpg
Even Gothic 1 was able to pull off drop shadows in 2001 ;)

V_K

Arcane
From what I remember, combat animations (and general enemy behavior) in BloodLust is equally horrible, despite more HD models/textures. That was the primary reason I drew the comparison.
As for shadows, personally I usually end up disabling them in games (the load they put on performance just isn't worth it), so maybe that's why I didn't care about their lack here.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
From what I remember, combat animations (and general enemy behavior) in BloodLust is equally horrible, despite more HD models/textures. That was the primary reason I drew the comparison.
Yeah, animations are the worst part of the graphics in BloodLust. But they are still better than a gun moving from 90° to 0° along the X axis for shooting. Or NPCs just standing there completely motionless :lol:

As for shadows, personally I usually end up disabling them in games (the load they put on performance just isn't worth it), so maybe that's why I didn't care about their lack here.
Toaster confirmed.
Honestly, though, smartphones can render basic shadows these days, are you sure about that impact for you?

V_K

Arcane
2012 laptop, not gaming-class. It's a weird thing because it ran e.g. Skyrim or Dishonored like charm, but the much older and uglier DAO gave me framerate/overheating troubles. I haven't touched an AAA title since, well, Skyrim (unless you consider MMX AAA) so it hasn't given me too much trouble. Now *before* that I had a machine that couldn't even run Bloodlines properly, and old habits die hard. ;)
And for example, DOS ran waaaay more smoothly for me without shadows. Although there's generally something with Larian and shadows that doesn't quite work - I had to disable them in Div2, because otherwise it treated slight elevations as insurmountable barriers.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Shadow algorithms are tough. The old "Stencil Volume" method is supposed to be a good compromise for appearance and performance, but there are newer methods that yield better results on powerful hardware. Guess what the graphics whores use.

Leitz

Learned
I'm still waiting for the time when low poly models that look like late 90s graphics will be the new "pixel art". Of course it will never happen but this game looks exactly like what I'm dreaming of. Will buy for 5 buck.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I'm still waiting for the time when low poly models that look like late 90s graphics will be the new "pixel art". Of course it will never happen but this game looks exactly like what I'm dreaming of. Will buy for 5 buck.
So Copper Dreams?

Leitz

Learned

I ran across a video saying that already happened. Found it...

This video is the pure and utter faggotry I wasn't looking for. Of course I'm talking about brutal brownish brainbrawning disgustingness for real men. Thanks anyway.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I just saw this on steam and if you watch the whole trailer it has tons of features and looks like it could be pretty fucking awesome. This game should get its own thread and a ton of attention, especially from those who claim to love Dues Ex or that Gold Coast game, whatever its called, in the jungle rpg-lite game. This is probably too much game for those idiots to handle though.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just saw this on steam and if you watch the whole trailer it has tons of features and looks like it could be pretty fucking awesome. This game should get its own thread and a ton of attention, especially from those who claim to love Dues Ex or that Gold Coast game, whatever its called, in the jungle rpg-lite game. This is probably too much game for those idiots to handle though.
I'd try it if it had third-person view and melee combat.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

I think it's probably gonna end up like that indie vampire game (can't remember the name) - ambitious ideas, lousy execution.

You mean BloodLust: ShadowHunter?
That is actually a pretty fun game and waaaaaayyyy more consistent in its art style. Still obviously a budget title, but not nearly as crappy looking as this one ;)

I agree Bloodlust is a good game, but this game looks pretty awesome too. Don't be an art snob as that is as bad as being a story snob.

Jinn

Arcane
Looks like

was released today

Who is going to take the plunge? $6 is very reasonable for what is being advertised here. Cleve could learn a thing or two +M

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Looks like

was released today

Who is going to take the plunge? $6 is very reasonable for what is being advertised here. Cleve could learn a thing or two +M

It is okay. I hate the controls and you can even rebind them. I just can't get it to work comfortably. It has like 10 inventory spaces so you dump items and store them where you drop them. I can't figure out how to sell items. I dumped points into the hardware skill to get this that supposedly lets you break down weapons into parts to make new ones, but every weapon I tried it on it didn't work. It seems to have a decent faction system. The char dev is pretty good too.

I may not be the best person to give advice on this game as it seems like the first Dues Ex to me. That game also had shitty, unnatural controls and was more of a pain to figure out than I thought it was worth.

For $6 I can't complain. I'll sit on it hoping for some patch that lets me increase the resolution, increases inv, and makes the controls function in a way I can handle.

I've definitely played far worse. People who can stick with games like e5 and Marauder or the original Dues Ex or Planet Alcatraz should be right in the target market for this. It seems like it has a lot to offer. It has the systems and content, but the wrappings are a pain and a mess.

Jinn

Arcane
Dues Ex or Planet Alcatraz

Never seen those two uttered in the same breath. You are strange and so Roqua it's insane.

Anyway, I've enjoyed the little I've played. The game is quite charming in this strange way, and I like all the different approaches and branching faction playing I'm picking up on in the beginning. Nice skill variety too.

As for the release, unfortunate for dual monitor users and anyone with a monitor from post 2000. Strange developer. Heart seems in the right place for sure, but I feel like it's some guy in a basement with one CRT monitor and nothing else. Blast from the past for sure.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom