Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Brigand: Oaxaca - post-apocalyptic RPG/FPS set in Mexico

V_K

Arcane
Should we maybe split the posts about this game into a separate thread? Infinitron? Jaesun?

What game? Link to first post in conversation that needs to be split?
Brigand: Oaxaca.
Bit tricky, since first there was the announcement, and then there was the release, with some unrelated discussion happening between the two.

oscar

Arcane
Played half an hour, plays like a slightly surreal Deux Ex-Morrowind hybrid in post-apoc Latin America. Better than I expected actually.

torpid

Liturgist
The art is just so
rating_prosper.png
, especially those pillbug demons. It looks like a Grimoire-type project started years ago but actually being released. And according to the Steam store video, out of all the modern amenities the one thing he saw fit to include was a hacking minigame ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mewt

Novice
So I decided to try the demo out for a few minutes.

O7aTf9t.jpg

Here are the settings you can change. Hrmm... No setting to change the mouse sensitivity.

jGhNK1j.jpg

Classes that are available.

VTwI962.jpg

Three difficulty levels.

eduEpGy.png

Well, this writing is off to a good start.

cBathK9.png

Insert Brazilian joke.

ur6ipDe.jpg

Most out of place character in the demo.

q7CNFZT.jpg

Mexican hooker

fJ2uGDr.jpg

UMAcaUY.jpg

The signs are turned upside down at night?

YMmnS4H.png

Enemy models.

I stopped playing about a minute later. This game is as bad as it looks. (You can shoot the townsfolk if you want.)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Gosh, I wish the font was more readable. :/
That minesweeper hacking though!

Brian Lancaster

Laughing Coyote Software
Developer
Developer here. Thanks for the all the feedback. I don't think there's any chance of 3rd person cam, but I am very curious about the mismatching assets. Inconsistent style was something I worried about a lot at the beginning of development, but I sort of forgot about it. Can you tell me some specific models that look like they don't belong? I can maybe fix it up a bit.

Jinn

Arcane
Developer here. Thanks for the all the feedback. I don't think there's any chance of 3rd person cam, but I am very curious about the mismatching assets. Inconsistent style was something I worried about a lot at the beginning of development, but I sort of forgot about it. Can you tell me some specific models that look like they don't belong? I can maybe fix it up a bit.

Biggest thing that felt out of place for me in the first 30 minutes of gameplay was that Angry Banana booze sign. Just really seemed to clash with some of the other parts of that opening camp.

Also, glad to see you decided to swing by! What kind of drugs do you like?

oscar

Arcane
Graphics are fine, a quest journal would be cool. Also do you get given a few more beds for player use or are you meant to use that running guy to fast travel? (found em)

Edit: Any tips for keeping NPCs alive beyond remembering to bandaid them? I gave Laughing Coyota a pistol but he still used his axe (or do I have to feed them ammo too?). I also got that guy whose girlfriend got taken hostage as an NPC and was immediately treated to some fantastic Fallout 1 nostalgia of getting a nice blast of buckshot in my back first fight so maybe it's for the best. Meanwhile the Chinese guy didn't survive five minutes..

I actually rather like this.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
a quest journal would be coo

This. While the "Objectives" tab in the main menu adequately serves this purpose, a running log of quests completed and quests that still need to be done that can be quickly accessed without esc-ing out would be great. Right now I'm just waiting for higher resolutions and possibly a true "Fullscreen" mode before I dive back in. Again, really like what I've seen so far. Lot of love has gone into this game.

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
Graphics are fine, a quest journal would be cool. Also do you get given a few more beds for player use or are you meant to use that running guy to fast travel? (found em)

Edit: Any tips for keeping NPCs alive beyond remembering to bandaid them? I gave Laughing Coyota a pistol but he still used his axe (or do I have to feed them ammo too?). I also got that guy whose girlfriend got taken hostage as an NPC and was immediately treated to some fantastic Fallout 1 nostalgia of getting a nice blast of buckshot in my back first fight so maybe it's for the best. Meanwhile the Chinese guy didn't survive five minutes..

I actually rather like this.

Oscar I value your opinion highly. Would you recommend a buy?

Brian Lancaster

Laughing Coyote Software
Developer
oscar, Yes, you must feed your teammates ammo. The best way to keep them from dying is making them stand ground with the ALT key. The ALT key also lets you control your teammates. I've been watching people playing this on Youtube and Twitch, and it seemed like nobody knew about the ALT key. I should prolly make that more apparent, but I don't wanna throw too much tutorial in the player's face. There's already enough.

Harry Easter, I don't think the graphics will improve that much. My modelling skills are very limited, so the only graphical improvements you can expect are higher resolution and a bit more detail. Shadows, unfortunately, are out of the question. Hopefully the freedom of action makes up for the shitty graphics.

Jinn, only weed and alcohol. Weed is cheap, but I blow all my damn money on alcohol.

Jinn

Arcane
First patch came out.

Version 1.1
JULY 16 - BRIANLANCASTER45
Just updated Brigand for the first time on Steam, so make sure to backup your save files before you download the patch. I'm still learning how Steam works, and I'm too lazy to read the documentation.

I added higher resolution and also fixed lots of script bugs (mainly related to finishing side objectives). There are some more updates you can look at in the Brigand Updates.txt file.

Unfortunately, I was not able to fix the worst bug of all, which makes the text windows unreadable on some Radeon video cards. I need access to a computer that has this problem for a couple hours to fix it. I know one guy with such a laptop in the local area and I should have the problem

1280x960 being the resolution added. It looks fine in the Exclusive (screen) Mode with the black borders, but unfortunately my cursor is still not bound to the game, so it's trailing off to my second monitor. Still wish higher resolution and widescreen support was part of the package, but I would gladly play in the bordered mode if I was able. Was really looking forward to playing this tonight, but oh well.

Brian, you are one of the strangest developers I've ever come in contact with. I can't tell if it's a stchick, or if you are just remarkably honest. Either way, your personality and game are weird and charming enough for me to continue to wait and see if some of these issues are fixed. I really hope you're able to sort out some of these minor issues soon so I can continue playing this soon.

Last edited:

Heretic

Cipher
Love those dev updates :-D

http://steamcommunity.com/games/652410/announcements/detail/1432561658090081275
Man, I had grandiose ideas in mind, but there are bugs that needed fixing in the main campaign. Anyway, I asked for some time off from my other job teaching sexy foreigners how to speak English so I can do this shit (and also learn Portugese).

I really did tell my work to give me a break next week, so I can actually work on the world editor and freeeee DLC.

Meanwhile the next update is up, fixing about a thousand bugs, look at the txt for more information.

P.S.: In the future I still plan on adding a compass. It's not fair that the dialogue points you in compass directions and you don't know which way is which.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/652410/announcements/detail/1432561658090778627
Hey, cuckolds, I thought I was improving on the system by not allowing the player to sell stuff and store a bunch of crap. I have bad memories of good RPGs where I ruined it by running back and forth ripping the underwear off dead goblin corpses to sell in town, and I decided for this game, Naw I don't want the player to sell shit, unless it's a quest.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/652410/announcements/detail/2436865112301210731
The demo is finally up on Steam. You can find the demo button on the Store Page.

Version 1.7 will be up on Sunday evening. Again, it's mostly just bug fixes. They have been ably pointed out to me by someone named Miran by email, but I'm not sure who it is on Steam. Anyway, Miran has recently beaten the game and sent me pages of bug reports I never would have found by myself.

These bug-fixes are mostly script-related, as in they are in the separate script files that can be easily edited with notepad. Scripts don't require you to compile anything, and they contain everything from dialogue trees to object properties, character AI, day/night cycles, skills and abilities, status effects, and more. I have a Builder's Manual ready to be released with the world editor that explains how to make/alter scripts, etc.

First, however, I need to make sure the main story is bug-free, and there is much to be fixed.

The demo seems to be perfectly fine, though. It is only the first 2 maps out of 21, so there is not too much story to get twisted up in the scripts.

Thanks again for all the playtesters. If you want your name/website in the credits, just send me a message.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/652410/announcements/detail/2436865112305727510
Damn it! I was drinking at the bar with students, then I came home and started arguing about politics on Facebook. Never argue about politics on Facebook.

Anyway, I'm releasing the new version because some important bugs were fixed, including one that gave you the bad ending only if you specifically went for the good ending. It should be fine now.

There is a host of other script bugs yet to be fixed, and I swear it's not just because I'm an incompetent alcoholic. Brigand's story is complex as fuck. I'll release 1.8 on Sunday with more script fixes.

Thanks again to all play testers who stomped their way through this swamp. I hope you at least had fun killing shit.

It seems like the guy who beat the game and got the bad ending due to a script bug had tons of fun anyway, so fuck it.
So yes, fuck it. I've been waiting for some substantial updates to drop, but now I'm ready to buy it. :)

Citizen

The fact that the game takes place in mexico doesn't necessarily mean it's postapocalyptic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom