Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia for Switch (Now also out for PC)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Looked at some gameplay, looks like monsters automatically evolve now? So no branching paths? That's pretty lame. Are the knights the same way?

Edit: And I saw the quest results just show a generic 'failed'? Do they not have the little vingettes any more? Those were so awesome!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Looked at some gameplay, looks like monsters automatically evolve now? So no branching paths? That's pretty lame. Are the knights the same way?

Not sure about the monsters, but in the demo the knights get to pick what class they go into and their branch within it, and there's several levels within each branch. I never played the original so don't know how different it is to that.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Watched someone stream it for a while and it's honestly incredibly faithful to the original, even down to the units. Like they've got elementals instead of jinns but they have the same stats and attacks, imps instead of pixies with the same spells, etc. The stats and mechanics all seem to be pasted right over. Which is great as far as I'm concerned, it was a good system.

They took out the generic story vignettes for finding items or getting stat buffs and so forth, which is decline. Yeah, they got repetitive eventually but you could always skip through them and it was charming to see the knight you sent off get stuck working a cursed millstone that made him stronger, or getting wounded because he chased a talking rabbit into it's burrow and got bit by a snake. There were dozens of these little stories with multiple endings each, and they were pretty well written. I guess they wanted to focus on the knight recruitment stories instead.

They added equipment slots to monsters, which is cool, and probably overpowered. I mean, for the cheap monsters even a slight stat boost would be relatively huge, and for the expensive ones, they were already super efficient, so kitting them out with high end gear makes them even more overpowered. I'm okay with this by virtue of the rule of cool though. Hook my archangel up with an enchanted sword of doom and berserker armor.

Visually, the game looks pretty good. Kinda heavy on the fanservice and skimpy outfits, but they've got a lot of cool character and monster designs, and the cell shaded models on the tactical level look great.

Gameplay does seem to be better balanced. Little things like less xp for casting spells and better defenses on enemy lords, worse spells for the angels and new buffs for the melee knights, etc. And the monsters do still get branching upgrade paths. They improved shit without reinventing what already worked.

It was hard to tell from just part of one campaign, but it did seem a lot more anime and extravagant, which is a shame. It's still more subdued than most stuff these days, but the original was closer to dark souls, for lack of a better reference point. This feels more like... Hellsing? Or Warhammer? Nobody has crazy neon hair or weird triple bladed scythe weapons, but the outfits are crazy and the equivalent of the old evil general with a huge crossbow and mundane plate armour is a dude that looks like he's dressed for his coronation ceremony. It does still look good, just feels more played out than seeing clergy dressed in simple robes and warriors in completely functional armour, which has somehow become exotic these days.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The game runs on Yuzu with my below average laptop on 16 - 23 FPS including on battle map. Has yet to try to actually attack a unit to trigger the battle animation, but if your pc/laptop is decently good you should be able to play this.

Thorakitai

Learned
It was hard to tell from just part of one campaign, but it did seem a lot more anime and extravagant, which is a shame. It's still more subdued than most stuff these days, but the original was closer to dark souls, for lack of a better reference point. This feels more like... Hellsing? Or Warhammer? Nobody has crazy neon hair or weird triple bladed scythe weapons, but the outfits are crazy and the equivalent of the old evil general with a huge crossbow and mundane plate armour is a dude that looks like he's dressed for his coronation ceremony. It does still look good, just feels more played out than seeing clergy dressed in simple robes and warriors in completely functional armour, which has somehow become exotic these days.

The Warhammer comparison is appropriate although the designs wouldn't look out of place in the 90s (Urushihara Satoshi of Langrisser comes to mind).

The guy you are referring to is the son of the Pope of a Theocracy which is also the largest nation in the continent , so it makes sense his outfit is so extravagant.

Also, Zemeckis (the general with the large crossbow) is apprioprate to his character, he doesn't care about things like looking like royalty, he's a bloodthirsty warmonger similar to Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
They added equipment slots to monsters, which is cool, and probably overpowered.

Also from the demo, I can say that although all units have equipment slots, not all equipment fits into an open slot even if it's the same type (like, you could have a 2 star armor which only one of your units can wear, regardless of whether other units would normally be able to wear an armor piece).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
The game run at 25 - 30 fps on Yuzu Early Access version. With multi-core option the game is completely playable without issue I think. Might freeze for a bit here and there but is mostly OK.

Decided to play with the all-girl Shinobi Kingdom. The AI is passive for the first 4 or 5 phase I think? Unlike the original, you can grind level by Questing (through Training Ground) so those new low-level knights can be useful eventually which is a welcome change. In the original you ended up with 2 or 3 fixed teams and any new knights are just Quest fodders.

Like the original, some monster upgrade are branched some are linear. I think Dragon line actually has more upgrade line here than the original.

Can't say much about battle AI because I had just 1 battle, but so far they are comparable with the original? They will use AoE spells and healing effectively it would seems.

I actually like the art more compared to the original. The character face and overall design reminds me a lot of Valkyrie Profile albeit far more fan-servicey

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Well I haven't played that much myself, but so far I'm having fun with it.
It seems the enemy doesn't attack for the first 3-5 turns though (this has been reported by several players) so there are some cheesy tactics that can be used at the very beginning. Players that played more than that, reported that AI actually tries to invade and it's actually pretty aggressive at it.

I'm on season 6(playing on normal difficulty) and AI hasn't invaded me yet even though I left a castle empty on purpose. Haven't seen them attacking each other either. Either I'm defending really well or my game is glitched.

Really sucks because the combat system is really faithful to the original game. Will try to start a new campaign and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Thorakitai

Learned
I'm on season 6(playing on normal difficulty) and AI hasn't invaded me yet even though I left a castle empty on purpose. Haven't seen them attacking each other either. Either I'm defending really well or my game is glitched.

Really sucks because the combat system is really faithful to the original game. Will try to start a new campaign and see how it goes.

The real question is why aren't you playing on hard mode? (assuming you are familar with the original games.)

Supposedly, Easy has such a low invasion-trigger rate that the AI won't even take an empty castle. Normal has them often taking them but the above may happen while on Hard Mode it's nearly 100% percent.

Also, Hard Mode is an improvement over the original in that the AI actually does proper formations and they aren't as suicidal regarding their use of rune knights as before. They still make stupid actions but not as much as the original.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I always do my first playthroughs of a game in the normal difficulty as I assume that's the "intended" way to play it.

I found it way too easy though so I'll probably start this new one on hard.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I started a new playthrough on hard this time and the AI finally began to attack me after 5-6 turns I think(by that point I had already conquered most of Mana Saleesia castles).

I noticed the AI does some really stupid shit that not even the first game's did, like retreating when they have the upper hand(I did a suicide attack with 2 low lvl RKs against a full castle and they retreated after wiping all my army after I killed one of their commanders), and attacking with only one rune knight when they had 3 and retreating right in the first turn. It's been a while since the last time I played GE, but I don't feel this one's an upgrade in that deparment like people are saying.

And regarding the art/writing/graphics, I liked Forsena's more. Especially during combat - the 2D character models were way better than the new 3D ones and also made battle much less confusing visually.

I might be under the influence of nostalgia googles, but to me this game is worse than the first one in almost everything. It's still a good game though, and I never thought I'd ever see a Brigandine sequel, so I should be glad, I guess.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I noticed the AI does some really stupid shit that not even the first game's did, like retreating when they have the upper hand(I did a suicide attack with 2 low lvl RKs against a full castle and they retreated after wiping all my army after I killed one of their commanders), and attacking with only one rune knight when they had 3 and retreating right in the first turn. It's been a while since the last time I played GE, but I don't feel this one's an upgrade in that deparment like people are saying.

The Strategic/Overmap AI is dumb I agree. I do think the battle AI is better.

And regarding the art/writing/graphics, I liked Forsena's more. Especially during combat - the 2D character models were way better than the new 3D ones and also made battle much less confusing visually.

I guess this is a side effect of battle happening directly instead of having a cut in like the original. I honestly like the writing in this more as the writing in the original is non-existent especially if you are not going Almekia or something.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I honestly like the writing in this more as the writing in the original is non-existent especially if you are not going Almekia or something.

I'm pretty sure every kingdom in Forsena had a background story on why they got involved in the war, aswell as characters with backstories and interactions with other characters. And GE added story cutscenes and a bigger overarching story(Orobouros).

Haven't played runersia enough to give a conclusive opinion but so far it feels they're not that different narrative-wise. I just like Forsena characters and the kingdoms background stories slightly more.

Thorakitai

Learned
Developer's letter regarding future updates.

https://brigandine.happinet-games.com/producerletter/12/?lang=en

We are currently moving forward with plans for the following potential updates:
・Adding more challenges to the overall gameplay
・Improving readability of the battle map
・Making the quests easier to play
・Making it easier to play with equipment and items
・Other small improvements and changes
It may take some time before these updates can be pushed out, so please bear with us for just a bit longer.
More detailed information will be made available in the future.

Please continue to enjoy Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia.
As always, thank you for reading!

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm picking this one up as soon as I can afford it. I could play it in Yuzu, and I might do that in the meantime, but I'd love to support these guys for making it and bringing it over. I think the artwork looks fantastic, btw, it's a lot like Valkyrie Profile like InD_ImaginE said.

Thorakitai

Learned
PS4 release is set on December 20, 2020.

https://brigandine.happinet-games.com/producerletter/13/?lang=en

Not to mention before that happens, they are planning on a big update that has lots of content. Hope they improve the AI though.

I have one more thing to share, and it’s about future updates.
Since everything is still under development, I can’t tell you the details just yet,
but we’re planning a free update for the game on both the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4.
When making this update, we made it a conscious choice to prioritize players who have already bought the game.
We wanted to give back by providing more content to all the passionate Brigandine fans who’ve been
writing reviews, recommending the game, and streaming the game to spread its charms to as many as possible.
Our goal for this update is to make players who feel like they’ve done everything that could’ve been done
in the Switch version want to play again, and to make even more people interested in the game.
The development will take time since it involves multiple aspects,
but we would like to have it out before the PS4 release.
It’ll be a while more before we can provide details and make an official announcement.
Nevertheless, we hope you’re looking forward to these future Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia developments!

As always, thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Pretty surprised there isn't more talk about this around here now that it's been released on PC. Seems like the perfect codexian game in a lot of ways. I picked it up on its PC release day because I knew it was something I wanted to support, but have only been able to play for an hour as I'm wrapping up a couple other games at the moment. Loved everything I've seen so far, and the game plays wonderfully with mouse and keyboard.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Interesting, I wasn't even aware this existed but it looks right up my alley. There is a demo available on the Switch, will likely try it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Pretty surprised there isn't more talk about this around here now that it's been released on PC. Seems like the perfect codexian game in a lot of ways. I picked it up on its PC release day because I knew it was something I wanted to support, but have only been able to play for an hour as I'm wrapping up a couple other games at the moment. Loved everything I've seen so far, and the game plays wonderfully with mouse and keyboard.
Tried the demo when it came out for the Switch but I didn't find it all that good. Could be that it was just suffering from demo-itis so it's possible that I'll still pick the game up when it's on a deep discount but my first impression of it was pretty ambivalent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom