Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia for Switch (Now also out for PC)

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia will launch for Switch via the Nintendo eShop on June 25 worldwide, publisher Happinet and developer Matrix Software announced.

Limited Run Games will distribute a physical edition of Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia in North America. More information regarding the pricing and availability of the physical edition will be announced by Limited Run Games a later date.

In Japan, a standard physical edition will be available for 7,200 yen, as well as a limited edition for 11,800 yen.

Here is an overview of the game, via Happinet:

The Brigandine classic game is returning after 20 years with an all new turn-based strategy game set in a familiar fantasy world is brought to life by veteran talent including scenario writer, Kenji Terada (Batman: Dark Tomorrow, Final Fantasy I to III), art director and character designer, Raita Kazama (Puzzle & Dragons, Xenoblade Chronicles), and the homecoming of composer Tenpei Sato (Brigandine: Grand Edition, Disgaea 1 to 5).

In Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia, six countries in the Continent of Runersia have waged a war to conquer and unify the land under one nation. Players decide how their legend will unfold by selecting a country and creating their army of Rune Knights, exploring over 40 base locations and encountering over 100 unique knights and 50 types of monsters as they progress across Runersia.

In Runersia, a continent created by the Rune God, mana rains down endlessly. Eons ago, five Mana Stones were brought forth by this continent and passes through history alongside human nations, eventually embedding into special Brigandine equipment to create Rune Knights—special individuals who can wield the mana power and stones embedded into their armor to cast skills and magic as well as summon and control ancient monsters. Six Brigandine Countries of Runersia, each with conflicting ideals beliefs, histories, and faiths, are divided by Brigandines of Justice, Glory, Freedom, Sanctity, and Ego, while the sixth country exists without Brigandine. The goal is to win battles to expand their country’s influence until the entire continent of Runersia has been taken over by the player.

Featuring a Fantasy world conquest within the turn-based strategy genre, Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia will offer hundreds of hours of immersive gameplay in this stunning new campaign for conquest. Players choose one of six countries to assume the role of the ruler aiming to conquer Runersia, and command more than 100 Rune Knights throughout the six nations leading various monster troops of various dragons, ghouls, and fairies, into fierce battles on hexagonal grid maps in the tactical turn-based battle system.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yeah, I'm pretty hyped for this. This came out of nowhere and looks really good. I played the Grand Edition of Brigandine last year and found it very easy, up until the final boss, which wiped the floor with me.

Anyway, really looking forward to this. I'll probably get it on day 1.

Thorakitai

Learned
I really love how it's still a unique game when compared to the other turn-based S-JRPGs.

It's basically a mix of Advance Wars, Fire Emblem and Ogre Battle in a map scenario that's similar to the KOEI turn-based strategy games like ROTK except only focused on battles.

lightbane

Arcane
Considering Nintendo, for all of its faults, still makes fun games without SJW politics, anti-consumer tactics, DLCs, and so on, it is not surprising.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's amazing how much the Switch wipes the floor with the rest of the consoles nowadays, I honestly find it baffling.

It is pretty strange, I've generally thought of Sony consoles as the place for niche games, but it's been really shifting since the DS vs PSP days.
This was true for home consoles in the PS1-PS2 era, but in handhelds Nintendo always reigned supreme for everything including niche games (although that was shakey with PSP, the PSP has some real hits). And considering the Switch pretty much eats up the forgotten handheld market, alongside their console status, you could see how many games appear on Switch despite its lack of power.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's because the Playstation is controlled by americans over at the California HQ. Everything related to the Playstation is overseen by the american office, and this is also why Sony has become so censorious of everything and so willing to ruin translations in the name of political correctness. The Playstation is no longer japanese, it is completely american, and specifically West Coast and liberal.

Meanwhile Nintendo remains 100% japanese.

Tigranes

Arcane
Political correctness by the console HQ means they don't let niche games on their platform? What? Not everything in the universe is explained through a single law.

Switch has benefited hugely from being the only handheld game in town and a hub of all sorts of remakes/rereleases as well. And the device itself is pretty great from a user POV. I don't know what the sales / strategy arguments were for Sony to decide not to follow up on the Vita, as I didn't follow it very much.

As for the game, there are some weird mixes of Fire Emblem, Age of Wonders, HOMM vibes going on in this thing. I should check out the demo.

Salmacis

Novice
I remember Legend of Forsena fondly, no time wasted reading terrible dialogue like the other TRPGs of the era (vandal hearts etc), just pure gameplay. I'll keep an eye on this thread for first impressions, if it's not too garbage I'll drop a few shekels for my yearly fix of tactics.
Also I'm calling this a fake Brigandine thread as long as there's no morons debating the merits of hexagonal vs square cells.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Just found about this. First one was probably the game I played the most on my PS1.

Still can't believe it's getting a sequel.

This and BB port at the end of the year are probably gonna get a big chunk of my available playing time. Gonna have a fun time on the toilet.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's amazing how much the Switch wipes the floor with the rest of the consoles nowadays, I honestly find it baffling.

It is pretty strange, I've generally thought of Sony consoles as the place for niche games, but it's been really shifting since the DS vs PSP days.

Sort of inevitable when Sony released a failed handheld to compete and then stopped making handhelds and then Nintendo decided their new console could be a handheld in a pinch.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Alright, having beaten the demo 8 times, I feel Codexially obligated to tell you that this is by far better than the original. Better balance, better questing, better class system, more tactical variety - but what it really comes down to is presentation of information. Everything is presented so clearly, with no ambiguity, and extremely easy to access. The rules are clear, the numbers and their derivatives are apparent and everything you need to make smart decisions is immediately accessible. The UI and presentation are excellent, a massive step up from the previous game.

They've taken an okay strategy game and made it great. I've preordered it and I'm looking forward to release in about a month.

Repressed Homosexual
Alright, having beaten the demo 8 times, I feel Codexially obligated to tell you that this is by far better than the original. Better balance, better questing, better class system, more tactical variety - but what it really comes down to is presentation of information. Everything is presented so clearly, with no ambiguity, and extremely easy to access. The rules are clear, the numbers and their derivatives are apparent and everything you need to make smart decisions is immediately accessible. The UI and presentation are excellent, a massive step up from the previous game.

They've taken an okay strategy game and made it great. I've preordered it and I'm looking forward to release in about a month.

If it has your seal of approval I just had to buy it.

The Switch is becoming my most played Nintendo console since the NES.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Excellent. Now someone tag me in a thousand years when it's on PC.

Tigranes

Arcane

Sounds good. Will D1P it and report.

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
Excellent. Now someone tag me in a thousand years when it's on PC.
Don't know if there any plans to ever port the game over to PC, but the Switch emulator, yuzu, is coming along nicely. There's a very decent chance that you might be able to play the game on your PC via yuzu.

miles teg

Scholar
I played the demo and enjoyed it enough to buy the full game.
Never played the original, is it similar? I like the aspect of knights leaving the battlefield together with all the creatures in their party: it makes protecting your knight (and attacking theirs) an important tactical aspect, as well as deciding to have more smaller parties vs fewer bigger ones.
Another thing I like is how some creatures seemed to be designed to have some kind of synergy together, like having those big giants with very poor chance-to-hit that become much more powerful when paired with shamans that can increase their hit% via spells.
Three things I didn't like:
1) It seems there is no way at all to regain Mana during a battle. I was not expecting to continually cast spells but I'd like to have a way to partially recover them (like "resting" for 1-2 turns). The way it is now you are a bit too dependent on making the decision to cast that buff spell EXACTLY at the right time.
2) In both of the maps I tried, you start a bit too far away from the enemy and spend the first 2 turns just moving forward. Also having the bridge on the river as choke point (with many units unable to walk in the water) is interesting once, but it becomes annoying quickly. Both maps I tried have the same problem. I hope there is going to be more variety and it's not always a damn "cross the bridge" tactical scenario.
3) It seems there is a global timer (from Normal difficulty onward) which is something I really hate. Hoefully it won't be too strict.

Overall it seems really worth my money though, so looking forward to the end of June.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I played the demo and enjoyed it enough to buy the full game.
Never played the original, is it similar? I like the aspect of knights leaving the battlefield together with all the creatures in their party: it makes protecting your knight (and attacking theirs) an important tactical aspect, as well as deciding to have more smaller parties vs fewer bigger ones.
Another thing I like is how some creatures seemed to be designed to have some kind of synergy together, like having those big giants with very poor chance-to-hit that become much more powerful when paired with shamans that can increase their hit% via spells.
Three things I didn't like:
1) It seems there is no way at all to regain Mana during a battle. I was not expecting to continually cast spells but I'd like to have a way to partially recover them (like "resting" for 1-2 turns). The way it is now you are a bit too dependent on making the decision to cast that buff spell EXACTLY at the right time.
2) In both of the maps I tried, you start a bit too far away from the enemy and spend the first 2 turns just moving forward. Also having the bridge on the river as choke point (with many units unable to walk in the water) is interesting once, but it becomes annoying quickly. Both maps I tried have the same problem. I hope there is going to be more variety and it's not always a damn "cross the bridge" tactical scenario.
3) It seems there is a global timer (from Normal difficulty onward) which is something I really hate. Hoefully it won't be too strict.

Overall it seems really worth my money though, so looking forward to the end of June.
Haven't played the new one but the things you mentioned make is sound like it's holding very, very close to the original, which is great news.
1- You don't get mana regen but you do get much higher mana pools as you gain levels. Depending on class and character of course. A proper mage could spam buffs all day without running out of mana, and instead it's a limit on how many giant AoE doom spells you get. Monsters tend to be more limited, but I liked the way it balanced things. Spells are powerful, but limited ammo.
2- That was a problem in the original game too. I do like having such huge maps though, it allows for a lot more use of the terrain and makes it easier for fast units to retreat to a safe distance. Also, you get battles with armies coming in from multiple sides of the map, which gets very interesting on these giant maps. The old solution was just to turn the animations off and let the AI take the wheel for a couple turns to move forward when it was just tedious. Dunno if that was in the demo (they probably wanted to show off animations) but I'd assume it'll be in the finished game. I wouldn't worry about the bridge thing, first game had a ton of map variety. Plenty of maps don't even have water.
3- The timer in the first game was basically irrelevant, even on the hardest difficulty you had to really fuck around for it to ever be an issue. I actually hope they make it tighter and not an automatic game over this time around. Some time pressure mechanics would be cool.

Thorakitai

Learned
The game recently released and I've yet to see everyone's opinion regarding it.

So far, the game's reception is mostly positive although there are complaint that there's not much complexity beyond attacking and conquering the entire map.

miles teg

Scholar
Well I haven't played that much myself, but so far I'm having fun with it.
It seems the enemy doesn't attack for the first 3-5 turns though (this has been reported by several players) so there are some cheesy tactics that can be used at the very beginning. Players that played more than that, reported that AI actually tries to invade and it's actually pretty aggressive at it.

I'm having a blast with the tactical combat so far, because there is always this huge clash of armies at the center of the map. It's so cluttered, and positioning becomes a real challenge: since it's not always possible to move away to a better position easily, your initial positioning choices have lasting effects on the rest of the combat.
The AI is not bad, although it tends to expose the knights a bit too much (but this might be a consequence of how positioning works: i.e. they can't move out easily if they make a mistake).

On the strategic layer you need to: 1) recruit monsters and 2) assign quests to knights and 3) Manage equipment.

not much complexity beyond attacking and conquering the entire map.
This is cheap. XCom doesn't have much complexity beyond tactical combat and shooting down UFOs either :P

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How is it compared to original?

Man I really want to buy and support the dev for this because I really like the original. But it is only on Switch :(

flyingjohn

Arcane
How is it compared to original?

Man I really want to buy and support the dev for this because I really like the original. But it is only on Switch :(
It seems to run great on yuzu emu,if you want to try it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom