Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken quests in Daggerfall Unity

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I've just about hit the wall with this game. I love so much about it but I'm finding it so close to unplayable that it may not be worth continuing for my own sanity. The issue I'm having is that when I get sent on an quest to retrieve/kill someone or something from a dungeon at least 4/5 times that person/thing simply isn't there. I mean I've tried everything I can think of. I explore every inch of the dungeon, painstakingly look over the map for secret doors and I've even tried using console commands like "killall" and "tele2qmarker". "Killall" has worked for me once, but more often it hasn't worked meaning that the thing I was supposed to kill actually wasn't there. I've also tried map_revealall and what I saw mad my blood boil. Whole sections of the dungeon that were not connected to the area I was in by any pathway. Just rooms and floating in space, completely inaccessible.

I have been doing a hard save before I take every quest but still, this is bullshit. I'm using a bunch of graphical enhancement mods and a couple minor gameplay tweaks but none of those should effect dungeon layout right? I was also using a couple quest packs but I deleted them and the problem has persisted. I have "smaller dungeons" enabled as well. Could this be the issue? I've searched around a bit and everyone seems to be playing with smaller dungeons these days and I'm not seeing anyone complaining about this issue.

I know Daggerfall has a reputation for being a flawed masterpiece but this is pretty extreme. I can't imagine anyone ever finishing this game if my experience is typical. So, before I give up on this game is there a way to fix/work around this bullshit? Because a dungeon crawler where you're forced to abandon 80% of quests that are in dungeons is too broken to be fun IMO. I want to like this game. I love the character generation, I love many of the mechanics and when things are working right I like the gameplay loop. It just fucks up so much... How? How the FUCK do people play this?

Utfärd

I've also tried map_revealall and what I saw mad my blood boil. Whole sections of the dungeon that were not connected to the area I was in by any pathway. Just rooms and floating in space, completely inaccessible.
Teleporters

PS. dagger unity is an asset importer, a lesser shadow of the true game

Last edited by a moderator:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
tele2qmarker
Where was a similar command tele2something. Use it too. Pity that original [ and ] debug buttons are not in the game.
Whole sections of the dungeon that were not connected to the area I was in by any pathway. Just rooms and floating in space, completely inaccessible.
Strange. I finished Unity version recently and it worked like a charm. Never had such problems and had bugs in quests only once or twice.
I have "smaller dungeons" enabled as well. Could this be the issue?
Are you fucking retarded? Play with original dungeons or GTFO. Also that's your problem right now. :x
I've searched around a bit and everyone seems to be playing with smaller dungeons these days
Where have you found these people? In a short bus? No, not everyone plays like the idiot with a smaller dungeons.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Are you fucking retarded? Play with original dungeons or GTFO. Also that's your problem right now.

I'm not sure that's the case, I'm watching a lets play on YouTube where the guy is using this setting and not having the issues I'm experiencing. You must be a goddamn masochist to prefer the original dungeons. What a nightmare they are. I guess I'll try reverting to the original dungeons because I'm pretty hooked on the game and that's slightly less dreadful than just giving up on it. Fuck man I really hope it's something else...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not sure that's the case
I finished original Daggerfall once, I had two or three unfinished playthroughs, I finished Unity version, but 95% of quests always properly worked! Especially in the dungeons. There are some problems with spawns in the city quests, but it's a different matter.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I finished original Daggerfall once, I had two or three unfinished playthroughs, I finished Unity version, but 95% of quests always properly worked! Especially in the dungeons. There are some problems with spawns in the city quests, but it's a different matter.
I've had the opposite experience. I'm not too far in but all my city quests have worked thus far, it's the dungeons that have been fucked up. Still, I'm trying it your way. I've disabled smaller dungeons in my settings. It'll be a bitch playing those crazy huge dungeons again but I prefer it to teleporting to quest items using the console. Still if the problem persists I'll try Rusty's idea. I've put quite a bit of time into figuring out the right mod setup and build to play this game and I've finally got everything just so. By hook or by crook I want to play this blasted thing.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Totally disagree. I can understand people wanting the original experience to relive their childhood memories, or gain an appreciation for gaming history if they're TES superfans but I'm just after an enjoyable experience. What I have put together with dream, enhanced sky, birds in Daggerfall, better ambience, handpainted models, reshade, distant terrain, real grass, vibrant wind, taverns redone (+ dream patch), post processing and splat terrain retexturing and readied spellcasting hands looks absolutely beautiful.

I've also added a clock to the UI (convenient clock) tootips (world tooltips), enemy health bars (NPC health indicators), loading screens and very limited mana regen (basic mana regen) because running a couple hundred metres away from an enemy and going to sleep when injured is goofy. Not to mention the quality of life improvements like being able to click to attack instead of using the god awful vanilla combat system and swapping the stamina and health bars around. Over the past week of experimenting Daggerfall has gone from a piece of gaming history to a modern masterpiece. It's nearly perfect (aside from the abovementioned issue). I tried turning everything off and playing in vanilla for a bit and it had a certain rustic charm but there's no way I'd do a full playthrough like that having experienced the modded version.

PS: I know about teleporters. It isn't that. Anyway I tried a dungeon with smaller dungeons turned off and it worked just fine. I found and killed the flesh atronach the Mage's Guild sent me to find and half filled my cart with fresh loot. So that's only a sample of one but it's encouraging. Maybe smaller dungeons is called an experimental setting for a reason eh?

Gregz

Arcane

This is accurate.

Just because you can't find the quest mob doesn't mean it's not in the dungeon.

In 40 years of gaming, I've never seen dungeons as difficult to navigate as those in Daggerfall.

Azdul

Magister
There are few broken dungeons in Daggerfall: The Roost of Grumerus, The Hold of Ashford, The Hold of Hawkcroft. Fixing them in DFUnity is rather complicated. Either we need someone to write dungeon validator, which would probably require fixing all holes in geometry first, or someone would have to understand how interaction between dungeon blocks can create non-traversable dungeon, and fix all problematic dungeon blocks, like W0000018.

Codex Year of the Donut
I've also tried map_revealall and what I saw mad my blood boil. Whole sections of the dungeon that were not connected to the area I was in by any pathway. Just rooms and floating in space, completely inaccessible.
Teleporters

get good

yes, play the original so you can not only experience these bugs(which are likely due to DF assets and not DFU) but thousands of other bugs

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
yes, play the original so you can not only experience these bugs(which are likely due to DF assets and not DFU) but thousands of other bugs
Daggerfall's bugs are overrated. Unpatched versions? Sure. But with a last patch it's stable as fuck. Just press these Alt-F11 buttons every hour or two. Thinking that are thousands bugs in the patched Daggerfall is retarded.

Codex Year of the Donut
Daggerfall's bugs are overrated. Unpatched versions? Sure. But with a last patch it's stable as fuck. Just press these Alt-F11 buttons every hour or two. Thinking that are thousands bugs in the patched Daggerfall is retarded.
shouldn't you be working on ideas for that nudaggerfall, julian?

mondblut

Arcane
Why would you even go into those clusterfuck dungeons unless they are part of the main quest? Just reject the quests until you are asked to guard the guild at night. That's the best thing about Daggerfall.

Whole sections of the dungeon that were not connected to the area I was in by any pathway. Just rooms and floating in space, completely inaccessible.

I have "smaller dungeons" enabled as well.

Maybe smaller dungeons is called an experimental setting for a reason eh?

Working as intended, dungeons are now smaller. How? It just works.

(maybe one of the other mods is overriding a setting smaller dungeons uses, even if it doesn't look like they should)

Azdul

Magister
Even with latest (213) patch, you've got a choice between broken levitation and swimming with 'cycles = max' and 10 FPS in some locations with 'cycles = 50000'. 320x200 is fine, but PC game running like console title is not.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Even with latest (213) patch, you've got a choice between broken levitation and swimming with 'cycles = max' and 10 FPS in some locations with 'cycles = 50000'. 320x200 is fine, but PC game running like console title is not.
I have old hardware that perfectly runs this game without any DOSBox glitches.

xuerebx

Erudite
Are you fucking retarded? Play with original dungeons or GTFO. Also that's your problem right now.

I'm not sure that's the case, I'm watching a lets play on YouTube where the guy is using this setting and not having the issues I'm experiencing. You must be a goddamn masochist to prefer the original dungeons. What a nightmare they are. I guess I'll try reverting to the original dungeons because I'm pretty hooked on the game and that's slightly less dreadful than just giving up on it. Fuck man I really hope it's something else...

AdventureArt?

Bloodeyes

Arcane

AdventureArt?
Is that your channel? AdventureArt seems to be a dude with less than 800 subs posting vids of his holidays with no RPG or gaming content at all. No the LP I'm watching is by a dude called SorcerorDave. He hates Daggerfall and complains endlessly that he's only playing it for the money and he's sick of Elder Scrolls. He's kind of a moaning minnie but it's a watchable LP.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I know Daggerfall has a reputation for being a flawed masterpiece but this is pretty extreme. I can't imagine anyone ever finishing this game if my experience is typical. So, before I give up on this game is there a way to fix/work around this bullshit?
If you were playing the original Daggerfall with the official and fan-made patches, then this sort of bug preventing you from finishing a quest should be rare (and the solution is to always keep a save from just before accepting a quest, replacing it only when you've completed the quest). Not sure why Daggerfall Unity seems to so much worse for you --- possibly from the mods you installed --- but it seems you shouldn't be using the Unity version in the first place. The real danger to watch out for is an essential part of the Main Quest no triggering properly, which you can guard against by looking up the triggers for these quests and, again, keeping back-up saves.

xuerebx

Erudite

AdventureArt?
Is that your channel? AdventureArt seems to be a dude with less than 800 subs posting vids of his holidays with no RPG or gaming content at all. No the LP I'm watching is by a dude called SorcerorDave. He hates Daggerfall and complains endlessly that he's only playing it for the money and he's sick of Elder Scrolls. He's kind of a moaning minnie but it's a watchable LP.

I don't think we're talking about the same channel: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYOFNzTqIHDGAm-TsimAdJLnTqK-2364X

It's not mine, I just watched his LPs (only ever LP I ever watched to be honest).

Bloodeyes

Arcane
The real danger to watch out for is an essential part of the Main Quest no triggering properly, which you can guard against by looking up the triggers for these quests and, again, keeping back-up saves.

I'm keeping five saves at the moment, just always saving in the one at the bottom of the list. I could increase that to 10 or 15 I guess, just to be on the safe side. I don't want to look up spoilers, I'll just have to risk it.
I don't think we're talking about the same channel: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYOFNzTqIHDGAm-TsimAdJLnTqK-2364X

It's not mine, I just watched his LPs (only ever LP I ever watched to be honest).

That build he made is awful. Just awful. I'm gonna watch this and see how he does with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom