Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Broken Roads now being published by Versus Evil, coming in 2023

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Broken Roads; Drop Bear Bytes; Versus Evil

Last year we learned that Broken Roads, the post-apocalyptic isometric RPG set in Australia from indie studio Drop Bear Bytes, was going to be published by UK-based publisher Team17 of Worms fame. Although they did promote the game for a while, earlier this year we noticed that it had been silently dropped from their lineup. Just what happened to this partnership remains a mystery, but development on the game appears to have continued at a steady pace. Today it was announced that Broken Roads had been picked up by indie publisher Versus Evil, who aim to release it sometime next year. They've put together a rather melancholic new trailer for the game, narrated by the same extremely Australian gentleman who featured in last year's trailer.

Denver, CO – August 17th, 2022 - Super indie publisher Versus Evil, in partnership with indie development studio Drop Bear Bytes, today announced that they will publish Broken Roads, a traditional isometric RPG coming to PC, Switch, Playstation and Xbox in 2023. Broken Roads presents a post-apocalypse future with real-world locations and landmarks serving as the backdrop for the complex stories of Australia’s survivors wrapped in an intricate hand-drawn aesthetic.​

Drop Bear Bytes headquartered in Australia, brings a wealth of revered industry talent to the fold with a team comprised of talented developers, artists and writers from Australia, South Africa, Canada, USA and the UK. RPG genre professionals including Colin McComb (Fallout 2 and Wasteland 2) Creative Lead, and Leanne Taylor-Giles (Rainbow Six Siege and Torment: Tides of Numenera), Narrative Director, have also contributed their expertise to the whole team.​
Broken Roads skillfully blends traditional and all-new role-playing elements on top of a classless system offering near-unlimited character development options built around four philosophies: Humanist, Utilitarian, Machiavellian, and Nihilist. Furthermore the game presents players with an original morality system: the Moral Compass which sees dialogue options and questing decisions influence, and be influenced by, a character's philosophical leaning and the tough decisions they make along the way. In addition, the in-game locations are all authentic recreated from the team visiting towns and landmarks in West Australia and taking photos, videos and audio recordings for it to be as true as possible . Furthermore, even the game's atmospheric soundtrack composed by Tim Sunderland is composed with instruments constructed from everyday objects which brings a wholly unique and distinctive tone to the game.​

“Versus Evil has a history of partnering with some of the best creatives in the industry and publishing highly engaging RPG titles enriched with deep narratives and killer visuals. Drop Bear Bytes have a clear vision and a collective talent that will bring an exciting addition to the Versus Evil RPG family of published titles and we look forward to sharing their passion project fans of the genre” Said Steve Escalante, General Manager of Versus Evil.

Broken Roads is another compelling addition to Versus Evil’s impressive RPG catalog and joins other critically acclaimed titles in the genre such as The Banner Saga Trilogy, The Hand of Merlin and Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.​

Broken Roads will be at Gamescom next week for press and gamers to check out an updated version of the game more closely, along with the publisher's other new signing, Eville: a multiplayer social deduction game which adds a new twist to the genre with its medieval RPG style, character roles, and individualized motives.​

As mentioned in the press release, Broken Roads will be at Gamescom next week, so we'll likely see more of it soon.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
first of all this is a SJW game with one of the worst setting and art design I have seen in 20 years of playing games

secondly the opening quote that puts disco elysium, broken roads, fallout and baldurs gate in the same sentence is a joke

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
As someone who lives in Western Australia, where this game is set, literally nobody sounds like the 'Australian' narrator in this trailer. Possibly Australian... but an Australian trying their hardest to sound as Australian as possible and in doing so completely fails and makes me cringe.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Damn, this pops is putting me into sleep...Reminded me of this old manowar intro.

Grandfather, tell me a story!
- Alright, go and get your storybook
- No, no, not one of those, a real fagstory!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never heard of it. What's the deal with this game and the hate for it?

The art design looks great - those 3-d models sit perfectly in the environment. Looking forward to this one more and more.

The General RPG Discussion crowd: "After carefully considering the evidence in this megathread over the past several months, I have concluded that this game may be worth paying attention to. :obviously:"
The RPG News & Content crowd: "WTF is this shit, FUCK YOU SHILL".

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there any screenshots released that shows that this is actually a post-apocalyptic game? I haven't seen any. Some show rundown areas.

Was the apocalypse nuclear war or what?

Acrux

Arcane
The game's description on Steam states "Broken Roads is a narrative-driven RPG that brings exploration, strategic turn-based combat and meaningful philosophical choices to an all-new Australian post-apocalyptic setting."

I vaguely remember this criticism coming up in the other Broken Roads thread and the devs responding with some reasoning - remote places bring hit less hard, I think. I liked the previous art better, anyway.

Also according to the devs - but who knows how true it actually is - your skills, stats, background etc, will influence dialogue choices and other C&C (plus the "morality system").

agris

Arcane
Patron
That dialogue, they're doing the excessive descriptions for every new line thing :negative:

edit: some of this is fine, but I can't help but get that Pillar's feeling. "Deep and pleasant", "raises eyebrows", "face impassive", "run hand through his hair", "sandy-haired man" <-- has a portrait, "light glinting off his wire-framed glasses" <-- still has a portrait, "a thin, ashen faced man" <-- also has a portrait

The descriptors are like salt. A little to highlight flavor is fine, too much and it ruins the dish. I think Bester or luj1 had a better description of the problem.

rose tinted glasses.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom