Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Broken Roads Pre-Alpha Gameplay Footage and Steam Page

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Broken Roads; Drop Bear Bytes

Development on Australian post-apocalyptic isometric RPG Broken Roads has quietly proceeded since the game was revealed last year. Back in February, developer Drop Bear Bytes announced that none other than Colin McComb had joined them as Creative Lead. The game is set to make its first major public appearance at Gamescom this weekend. For that purpose, Drop Bear Bytes have put together a short pre-alpha gameplay reel and have also launched its Steam page. Here's the video along with their press release:

Torquay, Australia, August 26, 2020 – Drop Bear Bytes today launched the Steam page for their upcoming isometric RPG, Broken Roads.

As part of their gamescom announcements, the Australian indie studio released a new pre-alpha showreel as well as range of their latest screenshot to tease the progress the game has made since its announcement last year.

"I’m incredibly proud of the leaps and bounds the team have made since we revealed Broken Roads,” says Craig Ritchie, Founder & Game Director of Drop Bear Bytes, “and the way the community has reacted to date is really encouraging! We’ve had our heads down working on a range of new characters, locations, quests and game features and it’s great to share a little of that for everyone at gamescom. We’ll have more to share on our dev blog and over social media throughout the event.”

Broken Roads is set in a ravaged future Australia and presents players with an original alignment system: the Moral Compass. This unique take on morality presents a 360-degree view of all ethical and philosophical decisions a character can make, as well as their available moral traits. A character’s philosophical leaning will affect all areas of the game, from dialogue and companion reactions through to quest resolution and combat.

Broken Roads is in development for PC, Switch, PS4 and Xbox One, and is scheduled for release in late 2021.​

There's not much information on the Broken Roads Steam page right now, but perhaps we'll see more of the game in the coming days.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Broken Roads is a narrative-driven RPG that brings exploration, strategic turn-based combat and meaningful philosophical choices to an all-new Australian post-apocalyptic setting.
:nocountryforshitposters:

elverkongen

Learned
"Bitch Queen: The handsome mountain of a woman looks at you with colde eyes from the edge of battle."

That's all I needed to know.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The morality system seems promising. The perk trees not so much. Overall combat looks generic and stiff (AKMs dealing <10 DMG to 130 HP enemies), but at least mechanically it's not 2AP. Lastly the few lines of dialogue they picked for the trailer are weak as fuck, and raise major eyebrow about their writers.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Crikey mate, it's Shadowland: Wasterun. Frankly I'd be more willing to give money to a project without McComb. Rather see what comes from a passionate amateur team than a known disappointment. Well if they manage to keep blue hair off my sheilas, fair dinkum I'll crack open the swag pouch.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I'm excited for any indie game, any RPG, and for Colin keeping busy, and post-apocalyptic Australia is of course a genre staple. The trailer gives me pause in a few respects, though. The art style doesn't seem to suit the mood very well, particularly the animations, and particularly the way the animations are synchronized (the running at 15 seconds is the most dramatic example).

The writing, at 39 seconds, is very of-the-moment.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Broken Roads is set in a ravaged future

Ravaged? You have stacked fridges full of drinks and pubs where people play darts. Compare this to Fallout where finding a piece of rotten fruit actually means something. Looks like a world of abundance where 'post apoc' is merely a superficial layer stickered on it. The setting is obviously very poorly crafted and reeks of hipsters and lack of talent if we are being real.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ravaged? You have stacked fridges full of drinks and pubs where people play darts. Compare this to Fallout where finding a piece of rotten fruit actually means something. Looks like a world of abundance where 'post apoc' is merely a superficial layer stickered on it. The setting is obviously very poorly crafted and reeks of hipsters and lack of talent if we are being real.

Sounds like a true Mad Max rip-off then, a setting where the apocalypse has just happened so everything still comes across and looks normal-ish.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Sounds like a true Mad Max rip-off then, a setting where the apocalypse has just happened so everything still comes across and looks normal-ish.

Thats because the first Mad Max was dystopian, not post apoc. The 2nd and 3rd movie were what defined the franchise anyway

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Thats because the first Mad Max was dystopian, not post apoc. The 2nd and 3rd movie defined the image of the franchise anyway

Ask yourself why it was dystopian. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom