Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Roads - turn-based Australian post-apocalyptic RPG with "unique morality system" - coming April 10th

Acrux

Arcane
Can you narrow the cone (by selecting options near the center) or broaden it (by selecting options at the edges)? Or rotate? I can see that becoming to "gamey" but especially the idea of narrowing the cone appeals to me.

d1nolore

Savant
Are there going to be boomerangs? Or is there just going to be ammunition bloat meaning weapon choices are linear?

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there going to be boomerangs?
y1-jNG.gif

:bounce:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.brokenroadsgame.com/dev...ourne-international-games-week-steam-festival

BROKEN ROADS FEATURING IN THE MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL GAMES WEEK STEAM FESTIVAL
MITGW_SteamEvent_SocialPromo_1920x1080Exhibitor_v2_T17-800.png

We’re really happy to announce that Broken Roads will be featured during the Melbourne International Games Week Steam Festival!

“Melbourne International Games Week is hosting its first Steam festival to highlight the broad range of video games developed in Victoria, Australia! Join us for a celebration of video games and the people who make them, from September 30 - Oct 4.”

As part of this festival, we have a number of live streaming events planned:

Saturday, 2 October - 10am AEST - Drop Bear Bytes' first-ever Broken Roads AMA (Discord and video streamed on Steam)
Saturday, 2 October - 4:30pm AEST - Broken Roads Gameplay stream - SIFTER SHOWCASE
Sunday, 3 October - 10am AEST - Broken Roads Dev Commentary Live Play
Monday, 4 October - 7pm AEST - Live stream with the Broken Roads art team!

Come say hi on Discord and get involved! -

- The Drop Bear Bytes team

Last edited:

Craig Ritchie

Drop Bear Bytes
Developer
Can you narrow the cone (by selecting options near the center) or broaden it (by selecting options at the edges)? Or rotate? I can see that becoming to "gamey" but especially the idea of narrowing the cone appeals to me.

Hey - yes, that is exactly how it is meant to function in terms of being 'broad-minded' or 'narrow-minded'. Being broad-minded means more possible options, but being narrow-minded opens up higher-level moral traits which affect certain stats and open up unique options, quest outcomes and sometimes combat possibilities.

Are there going to be boomerangs? Or is there just going to be ammunition bloat meaning weapon choices are linear?
This is Australia - what do you reckon?
And no, we're not going for ammunition bloat - I mean, being realistic about it, who is going to say "yep, we're planning this annoying, tedium-inducing feature which we actually don't enjoy ourselves".

Craig Ritchie

Drop Bear Bytes
Developer
Thanks Infinitron for posting the MIGW stuff. Feel free to come livetroll in a little under 24 hours.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Join Broken Roads' Audio Lead Tim Sunderland, Art Director Kerstin Evans and Game Director Craig Ritchie as we fumble our way through our first ever AMA, answering questions from our Discord community members as well as live messages on the Steam chat.

Wishlist Broken Roads on Steam: https://bit.ly/YT-Broken-Roads

This stream formed part of the Melbourne International Games Week 2021 Steam Festival: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/migw2021

Topics covered include:
- How in depth is the cover and positioning systems in combat? Is crafting a relevant part of it?
- Details about companions
- What type of shapes are the best
- How much the Moral Compass affects gameplay
- Is it possible to kill everyone?
- How much time and effort went into the indigenous consolation for the game?
- What has been the biggest hurdle in making the game?
- Will there be Mounted Camel Combat?
- and a lot more

A wise man once said "set your keyframe interval to 2" and that wise man was Chris Wulf from Fellow Traveler, so thanks for your help, Chris!

cpmartins

Cipher
Post-COVID Australia is looking grim.
I'm being facetious of course. There is no "post".
You're here forever. Enjoy the beatings.
Game is looking good though.

Craig Ritchie

Drop Bear Bytes
Developer
Thanks, art team been hard at it. Stoked to show off some new location details.

Full art team live stream tomorrow 7pm AEST.

EDIT: Today we played the game live as part of the Melbourne International Games Week Steam Festival, and here's the video of my awful livestreaming skills:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Join Drop Bear Bytes' team of fantastic artists as they show off and discuss their work on Broken Roads! Wishlist on Steam: https://bit.ly/YT-Broken-Roads

From concepts through to environment art, level design and 3D models, plus a bit of VFX for good measure, our Art Director Kerstin Evans looks at a range of the concepts, design and assets in the game (and the people behind them!).

In the video:
Kerstin Evans - Art Director
Jess Moore - Producer
Bianca Roux - 3D Artist
Cassandra Lee - Jr Concept Artist
Sara Laubscher - 2D & 3D Artist
Luke Dorman - Level Designer
Ryan Gee - VFX Artist
Tim Sunderland - Composer & Audio Lead

This livestream was part of the Melbourne International Games Week 2021 Steam Event, where also did an AMA on 2 October and an Dev Commentary live play on 4 October.

Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/W9UZzrk

Craig Ritchie

Drop Bear Bytes
Developer
This comes up a lot. Woke is not something we go for. This is a post-apocalyptic future, and we're trying to make it as realistic as possible (realistic in the sense that yes, there's some obvious genre stuff/sci fi/people can shoot each other with guns and then have a sleep and all their hit points can be cured kind of believable).

I'm big on not having contemporary social issues/woke stuff pull you out of the fantasy when you're playing.

I think it was one of the articles above where I was interviewed and spoke about this. I don't think games need to be activism as well. I don't think games need to be a platform for social justice and change and whatever. People are getting enough of that elsewhere. Down time/relaxing/escapism/FUN is just fine.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This comes up a lot. Woke is not something we go for. This is a post-apocalyptic future, and we're trying to make it as realistic as possible (realistic in the sense that yes, there's some obvious genre stuff/sci fi/people can shoot each other with guns and then have a sleep and all their hit points can be cured kind of believable).

I'm big on not having contemporary social issues/woke stuff pull you out of the fantasy when you're playing.

I think it was one of the articles above where I was interviewed and spoke about this. I don't think games need to be activism as well. I don't think games need to be a platform for social justice and change and whatever. People are getting enough of that elsewhere. Down time/relaxing/escapism/FUN is just fine.
What is your stance on elves though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom