Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Sword is fast losing its charm.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So, GOG recently gave away Broken Sword to commemorate one million sales, and I decided then that I'd give it a shot and make it my first adventure game. Well, it started off pretty good, but now it's gotten pretty monotonous and I'm not liking it much. My main issue is that it's focused almost exclusively on dialogue/character interaction as opposed to puzzles (or whatever term you want to use - I'm referring to the kind that are abstract, i.e. move these blocks around, etc). Call me a sucker but I love that shit when it's done well. I've complained before about action-adventures not having enough of these, but I was hoping actual adventure games would have them in spades.

Anyway, when the game first starts out there's one good one involving opening a lock at the dockside, and then a couple of coded messages, but they seemed to have dropped off the radar by now. It says I am at 55%. Everything since then has mostly been dialogue interaction. This wouldn't be so bad, except that most of the dialogue is by and large retarded and the characters are cartoonish. Does not make for an engaging experience. In addition the "puzzles" involving what items in your inventory to use and in what way are not particularly imaginative.

I'm getting the impression that this game is a medoicre adventure game. At least I hope so. If it's among the best the genre has to offer then I am definitely disapointed. So, what's the good shit and what should I be trying instead? I'd prefer games where the ratio of abstract puzzles to all other puzzles is at least 50/50. And should I keep playing Broken Sword? Does it get better?

hanssolo

Educated
The shitty dockside part at the start with Nico was added in the director's cut and is much weaker than the rest of the game. That you consider it the game's peak says volumes. Why are you such a newfag, Dicksmoker? This is as bad as playing Doom with mouselook.

curry

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
So, GOG recently gave away Broken Sword to commemorate one million sales, and I decided then that I'd give it a shot and make it my first adventure game. Well, it started off pretty good, but now it's gotten pretty monotonous and I'm not liking it much. My main issue is that it's focused almost exclusively on dialogue/character interaction as opposed to puzzles (or whatever term you want to use - I'm referring to the kind that are abstract, i.e. move these blocks around, etc). Call me a sucker but I love that shit when it's done well. I've complained before about action-adventures not having enough of these, but I was hoping actual adventure games would have them in spades.

Anyway, when the game first starts out there's one good one involving opening a lock at the dockside, and then a couple of coded messages, but they seemed to have dropped off the radar by now. It says I am at 55%. Everything since then has mostly been dialogue interaction. This wouldn't be so bad, except that most of the dialogue is by and large retarded and the characters are cartoonish. Does not make for an engaging experience. In addition the "puzzles" involving what items in your inventory to use and in what way are not particularly imaginative.

I'm getting the impression that this game is a medoicre adventure game. At least I hope so. If it's among the best the genre has to offer then I am definitely disapointed. So, what's the good shit and what should I be trying instead? I'd prefer games where the ratio of abstract puzzles to all other puzzles is at least 50/50. And should I keep playing Broken Sword? Does it get better?

Stop whining. :x

Broken Sword is not only very good but it's also one of the biggest classics of computer gaming. For that reason alone you should finish it atleast once. :salute:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Having finished it last week 'cause I also got it off GoG, I have to comment upon Broken Sword being a very gud game.

If anything, the lack of 'abstract puzzles' with 'move blocks around' is a plus. Each time I remember some of those auld Sierra adventure games I get shivers (r00fles!), and I'd rather stick with 'use x on y after talking to guy z'. Although what little 'puzzles' there were in BS, they were mostly p. cool, like the chessboard in Spain.

How are the characters and dialogues retarded? I found them really neat, and the amalgam of crime/mystery with somewhat cartoonish characters was very well done.

My only complaint is the occasional absurd pixel hunting and stupid logic, but that applies to just about every adventure game in existence.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Now serious answer.
If you never played adventure games, try something light-hearted and incredibly fun as Legend of Kyrandia 2, Secret of the Monkey Island or Quest for Glory (yes, it's adventure/RPG).

or Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango. Not that I'm saying that they're all lighthearted. In fact if you're going to play only one adventure game in your life let it be Grim Fandango. But if you're really into the puzzles iirc The Longest Journey had some pretty good ones, of course haven't played it for a long time so maybe someone else could confirm that.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Darth Roxor said:
How are the characters and dialogues retarded? ...the amalgam of crime/mystery with somewhat cartoonish characters...
So you admit they're cartoonish, but can't see why they're retarded?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Fowyr said:
If you never played adventure games, try something light-hearted and incredibly fun as Legend of Kyrandia 2
No, god no. HOF is by far the worst of the Kyrandia trilogy and not a terribly good game to begin with. Extremely stupid end sequence too (why did my adventure game suddenly turn into an arcade with bad controls?). First Kyrandia is better, though overdoes it a little with the trial and error. Your other suggestions are great, especiall Secret of MI. QFG is great, as the puzzles are easier than the typical adventure and the RPG elements definitely help for someone transitioning from pure RPG to adventure. And in general it's just an awesome series. And the AGDI remake is glorious :love:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
End sequence was indeed meh, but rest of the game was great. Something about collecting various shit and tossing it in the cauldron following set of vague and cryptic instructions really fills my heart with joy.
Probably should try another run of LoK, it was really long ago and I can remember only dark cave from this game.
Legend of Kyrandia 3 was awesome.

You should play Broken Sword 3 then. You do lot's of exciting stuff like moving blocks around in it. It also has the most breathtaking, awesome end sequence ever.
Won't be disappointed.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dicksmoker said:
Darth Roxor said:
How are the characters and dialogues retarded? ...the amalgam of crime/mystery with somewhat cartoonish characters...
So you admit they're cartoonish, but can't see why they're retarded?

Are you putting an equal sign between 'cartoonish' and 'retarded'?

Many of the light-hearted elements of the game, like the English lady in the hotel, the French policeman or the general faux-French accents, are genuinely funny, and I fail to see how anyone could consider them retarded, unless they are grimdark creeps that can't enjoy anything other than serious business.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'll just ignore it.

The horrors of the fucking shit Dreamfall: The Longest Journey are still scarred into my brian...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Darth Roxor said:
Are you putting an equal sign between 'cartoonish' and 'retarded'?
Yes.

Many of the light-hearted elements of the game, like the English lady in the hotel, the French policeman or the general faux-French accents, are genuinely funny,
1322461-1321928_1026821_no_country_for_old_men_tommy_lee_jones_josh_brolin_javier_bardem_91_super_super_super.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom