Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Broken Sword The Serpent's Curse

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Alan Wake and Portal are adventure games?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Alan Wake and Portal are adventure games?
I would rename the category to something like "Adventure, Puzzle and Platforms!" but steam doesn't allow renaming.

Alan Wake is there because I thought it would be more Adventurey. This was before I actually played it (and later uninstalled it). That game is junk.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
IoUnrZM.jpg

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I really quite like it. Has the feeling of the first two games and I don't think it's only the 2D, but I guess that plays a big role too. I agree pretty much with all of Zed's comments.
George was always voiced by Rolf Saxon and he is in this game too. Nico is different, but I think there were two before this one as well, not sure.

Really like the cell shading. It's quite impressive, must be the best I've seen.

A couple of rough edges (speech volume, and some inconsistencies in dialogue) but overall it gives a really good impression. One thing I didn't like is the inclusion of modern adventure "puzzles", like reconstructing images from pieces and shit like that. Hopefully there won't be much of that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Already completed it. :what:

This was supposed to be longer than BS1? Even if the second part will be as long as this, they won't be as long as BS1 together.

Wizfall

Cipher
Feedback appreciated.
Looking good but still undecided to buy it full price (short).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, you'll get both parts for $20. I guess that's a good price even with the short length. Unless you're a steamfag who thinks games should be $5 no matter what.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Downloaded my copy, and though I haven't had a ton of time to play, I like what I've seen so far.

+ Very nice graphics, particularly the background art.
+ They got the original voice actors for George and Nico. Seems minor, but it makes it feel a lot more like the classic games. The other actors are also good.
+ I'd say they successfully captured the atmosphere of the 1st game, which was the best in the series.
+ A few interesting puzzles that took a bit of thinking.
+ Seems to be a decent length based on the completion % thing. Dunno if the game will end before 100% though.
+ Appears to be free of any major bugs.
+ Dialogue is for the most part quite well written.
+ Good level of interactivity in scenes.
~ The plot is... fine so far. Doesn't really grab me yet, but I'm not that far in.
- No really great or creative puzzles so far.
- A few small graphical glitches/bugs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Everyone is saying it's short but I'm reading 8 hours most places. 16 hours is certainly long enough for a $20 adventure game if you ask me. If anything that's longer than I expected.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Everyone is saying it's short but I'm reading 8 hours most places. 16 hours is certainly long enough for a $20 adventure game if you ask me. If anything that's longer than I expected.
8 hours? That is quite a good amount for an adventure game, especially considering that you gonna be stuck in some puzzle for some time.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
About 7 hours here now that I checked the time on the saves. Hmm, well, maybe not quite THAT short. Somehow it felt short, though, can't explain. Maybe I got caught in it and didn't notice the time flying?
Still, I highly doubt that's longer than BS1, but I was sure Cecil was bullshitting.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just finished it and it took me about 7:30, though I left the game running a few times. Never really got stuck for any extended period of time.

I don't actually recall how long BS1 was, but I think if the 2nd part of this is roughly equal in length to the first it'll at least feel similar length-wise to a proper 90s commercial adventure game, which is pretty impressive given their relatively small budget and development time.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
7 hours would feel short, but 14 hours would probably feel fine. I think it's a psychological effect where longer play time feels exponentially longer.

FaChoi

Educated
7 Hours seems a bit longer than it should take most people. Must have left it running longer than you thought while off doing something else, maybe why it felt shorter.

AMfnJgz.jpg

50% is 100% of the first episode.

5:38 for me. And now I'm very frustrated that I have to wait for the second part.
:rage:

I liked the game quite a lot, but I think that BS1's world felt more open, and that feeling I do miss. There were more locations available for you and you had to figure out where to go next. Here you mostly follow from one scene to another.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
4:50 sounds about right. I beat it in 5 hours.

EDIT: 5:11 to be exact.

I didn't really get stuck anywhere except the "make a goatee" part. Man that entire sequence was so cringy. That fucking song in her apartment sucked so god damn hard too.

Overall I enjoyed it. Looking forward to part 2.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Heh, I got stuck the longest at

The Aladdin part. I actually spelled Saladin first and the game recognized it, but then couldn't figure out Aladdin. :retarded:

You actually get a hint for the goatee because George says

"I have to go see a woman about a dog" before you go there

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I just impulse purchased this (not to confuse with Day 1 purchase please) because I like to listen to pretty French chick accents and the LPs also gave off a calm, relaxed atmosphere, and because I wanna support that old womanizer Charles Cecil so that he can make a BASS sequel.

:takemymoney:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished just now, it was very cool.

The good stuff:

- Definitely all matters technical. The art is gorgeous, the music good, the voice acting and writing just like the classic Broken Swords.
- Some cool puzzles (like the Cyrillic letters), not much retarded stuff (the only one that left me stuck and needing to ask for a hint was the neon sign because it was totally retarded. I was sure you gotta make 2 words out of the flashing and non-flashing letters, and considering you could make "LANDS" out of the non-flashing ones (lololo let it spell a whole new world!), I almost ate my teeth to try and come up with a "LANDS DI [NAME]")
- Nice attention to detail at times - everything in Henri's office that has numbers can be used for the camera and produce different quotes, including the 1600 CC van model :D
- PUTIN AS MAIN ANTAGONIST
- Humourous but ominous and conspiracionist, just like the originals.
- I'm a sucker for gnostic shit.

The bad stuff:

- Just a shame that the gnostic shit is coming up rather retarded (no, there is no singular bunch of people called "Gnostics" and they sure as hell don't worship the devil, FFS)
- Short like a motherfucker. Took me 5:40 to get through it, so the full game is supposed to be just 11 hours? Derp.
- Already mentioned earlier lack of "open" world/lotta locations, but perhaps that is gonna open up in the 2nd part.
- The characters do way too much on their own, without player input.
- The characters are acting completely retarded around the end parts

So, after all their wacky adventures in previous games, Nico and George STILL can't see how RIDICULOUSLY SUSPICIOUS is the sudden appearance of the "Interpol" guy? And when they approach Hobbs's place for the last scene, they keep talking about how "lul so there was no conspiracy, now we just take the painting and get rich!" without finding it TERRIBLY GLARING that Simeon's murder and Tiago's disappearance completely don't add up to a "no conspiracy" angle?

Still, as it is now, I'd say The Serpent's Curse is right about on par with The Smoking Mirror. Depending how the 2nd part rolls out, I could easily see it surpass it, but it's fairly unlikely it'll turn out better than BS1, but then again, that's hardly a point of criticism per se.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
(no, there is no singular bunch of people called "Gnostics" and they sure as hell don't worship the devil, FFS)

Well, who says that except the priest? And he isn't exactly portrayed as being rational.

- PUTIN AS MAIN ANTAGONIST

:lol: True.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, who says that except the priest? And he isn't exactly portrayed as being rational.

Tiago also says that when questioned about his family (sans the devil worship part :M ). Still, that's kind of why I've written "coming up rather retarded", because I'm aware that most of the info comes from Simeon.

TripJack

Hedonist
the voice acting and writing just like the classic Broken Swords
assuming that 'classic broken swords' includes the first one, which is the only one i've played, shouldn't this be in the bad stuff category?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom