Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Brutal Doom v.19 trailer

Groof

Educated
Atrocity. What the fuck have you people done with DOOM?! It's all these fucking sourceports, I never would have imagined the engine being open-sourced would have murdered the game the way it has.

Seems like the kind of stuff you should expect when you hand stuff over to rabble. Can be annoying, but mostly not a huge deal. Chocolate Doom is okay.

Side note: Mousing to turn left and right is totally all right. Looking up and down-mouselook in DOOM is stupid and wrong.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
ALSO, what the god-damn is the point of doing a shitty cover of DOOM's soundtrack when all the game music is ripped from Slayer albums anyway??

:notsureifserious:
Well, not only Slayer albums. There's a lot of Metallica, Pantera and Alice in Chains too.

Of course; the song in question is Metallica, after all.

Seems like the kind of stuff you should expect when you hand stuff over to rabble. Can be annoying, but mostly not a huge deal. Chocolate Doom is okay.

Side note: Mousing to turn left and right is totally all right. Looking up and down-mouselook in DOOM is stupid and wrong.

I expect the chaff to outweigh the grain, but there's a gazillion shitty texture mods and 3d models and not a single decent HD-ification of the billboard sprites?! I'd trade all the 3D bilge in the world for glistening 1080p handdrawn cyberdemon asscheeks.

Chocolate Doom is nice, I think (maybe?) ZDoom has fairly solid compatibility options too, but it's all just meaningless compromise when DOSBox is so dang usable.

Strongly agree about mouseturning, though. God gave us mice to look side-to-side (and move, if you're a wierdo).

Groof

Educated
Chocolate Doom is nice, I think (maybe?) ZDoom has fairly solid compatibility options too, but it's all just meaningless compromise when DOSBox is so dang usable.

Yeah, I dunno. Don't have a problem with DOSBox, but I think fixing DOOM up so it runs on modern machines all on its own makes sense. Not a strong preference one way or the other for single player. DOOM did not get netcode right though.

sser

Arcane
Developer
:necro:

This mod is awesome. IMO, it is keeping with the direction Doom would have gone in had it come out at a later time, and had its sequels (Doom 3) been more true to the source material.

Also, it's pretty fucking hard.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I think Brutal Doom is my favorite mod ever. I've gotten infinite amount of fun by combining this with various wads.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
I never modded DooM before. Any guide on how to install this Brutal Doom thing? Apparently requires "zDoom" which i have absolutely no clue. Should i get Doom 1 or 2?

Dayyālu

Arcane
I never modded DooM before. Any guide on how to install this Brutal Doom thing? Apparently requires "zDoom" which i have absolutely no clue. Should i get Doom 1 or 2?

Are you serious?

(sighs) It's kinda simple, brother.

Last version of BrutalDoom should work with Zandronum. Older versions and other mods with Zdoom or other source ports (http://zandronum.com/ http://zdoom.org).

- Download the chosen source port and the mods.
- Take the DOOM.wad/DOOM2.wad from your trusty original copy of Doom or Doom 2 or Final Doom. Or download it from the Net, or buy it from Steam or any place. The thing we need is the baseline .wad file.
- Place the .wad file in the folder were you extracted the source port.
- To play BrutalDoom and most mods, drag and drop the mod file, in the case of Bdoom a pk3 file of 20 megs, to the top of the Source Port .exe. The source port will then start, and you can select Doom/Doom2/Hexen depending on the wads the source port reads.
- Enjoy.

If "true" Doom vets have a better reply, go wild. But trust me, the Doom modding community is a weird and interesting place: you would be amazed to discover how much stuff they have created in the decades.
A good starting point for Doom mods are the Cacowards.

zwanzig_zwoelf

- To play BrutalDoom and most mods, drag and drop the mod file, in the case of Bdoom a pk3 file of 20 megs, to the top of the Source Port .exe. The source port will then start, and you can select Doom/Doom2/Hexen depending on the wads the source port reads.
<filename>.exe -file <filename>.wad

AlexOfSpades

Arcane

Are you serious?

(sighs) It's kinda simple, brother.

Last version of BrutalDoom should work with Zandronum. Older versions and other mods with Zdoom or other source ports (http://zandronum.com/ http://zdoom.org).

Thanks brother! It worked perfectly. It's just that when i downloaded Brutal Doom, it didn't come with an installation guide, just the patch notes - i guess they expect the community to already know how to install it. Anyways, your lil tutorial worked perfectly.

Astral Rag

Arcane

I tend to use Doomseeker/ Zandronum these days:

dfqsdfdsj1amp.png

Also:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/18/b...-to-add-ragdoll-style-physics-more-brutality/

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I had high hopes for Brutal Doom, but they mindlessly fucked with every single Doom mechanic that made it Doom. Even such basics as movement speeds. The situational-use distinction between weapons is a lot more diluted now. At this point it's not Doom+, it's a random FPS with Doom sprites in it. The gameplay feels like a wet dream of an autistic ADHD 12-year-old boy.

Lots of enthusiasm, zero moderation, zero humility, zero talent.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
I had high hopes for Brutal Doom, but they mindlessly fucked with every single Doom mechanic that made it Doom. Even such basics as movement speeds.

It just seems that run is toggled to be always on. You know, so you don't get carpal tunnel syndrome from holding shift all the time. I actually like this change.

The situational-use distinction between weapons is a lot more diluted now.

You think so? For me, the only thing that changed is that the pistol (that before, was worthless) is now a rifle that can be used to snipe sometimes. Well, "snipe". The rifle will never be as good as the chaingun for clearing masses, the shotgun is still the number one for close-range, rocket and BFG are still the room-cleaners and the plasma gun still has the highest single-target damage. Honestly, the only thing that changed was a buff to the pistol and alternative shooting modes. The weapon distinction is still there, at least for me.

The gameplay feels like a wet dream of an autistic ADHD 12-year-old boy.

Always has been, no?

Don't know why people hate this. It's still DooM (as long as you don't bind jump or look up/down, but that's Zandronum), but more way more gorey and with the extra option to flip the bird. I actually think it could be closer to the dev's original concept even - a fast-paced gruesome shooter with metal for soundtrack. Oh, and speaking of metal, here's how to use Brutal Doom with metal remixed soundtrack:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Not sure where they claimed Brutal Doom was supposed to be Doom +. It's just a well made, comically violent mod/ Doom spin-off that also introduces subtle improvements.

I really enjoy playing Brutal Doom from time to time but I don't like certain aspects of it: reloading, blood on visor, the "finger", some "extra" weapons, the 3rd person executions... fortunately these things can be modded out or ignored.

Personally I would also never consider using that metal soundtrack that's going around but I don't care if someone else does.

At some point Romero starts talking about Brutal Doom in a rather enthusiastic fashion, sadly the "journalist" doesn't care to follow up on this. IGN...

There is a nice pistol mutator in case you start missing it.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/downloads/brutal-doom-v19-mutators

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom