Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Build a vintage PC for Grimoire?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I have been toying with an idea recently. Imagine this. It is sunset and you are in your study as a hot summer day is closing to an end. Lava-colored sunrays are piercing through the window blinds, cigarette smoke swirling in the light. You fire up the olde CRT as i386 begins to hum, the sweet MIDI music plays and you dive into something like Grimoire.

What do you think?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nothing happens twice.

But you propably can buy some old computer junk for 5$+transport costs and give it a go.

But remember. You can't have your first sex second time.

Incendax

Augur
Only if you film it as a noir indie movie, and mutter the words “The moment she ran into my life, I knew she’d be trouble.” Camera pans to i386 and a garter belt.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I have been toying with an idea recently. Imagine this. It is sunset and you are in your study as a hot summer day is closing to an end. Lava-colored sunrays are piercing through the window blinds, cigarette smoke swirling in the light. You fire up the olde CRT as i386 begins to hum, the sweet MIDI music plays and you dive into something like Grimoire.

What do you think?

I think you should go for it. Let us know how that i386 handles Windows XP, which is a minimum requirement to play Grimoire. Should be quite exciting since XP requires a minimum Pentium 233, but I have faith in you. Dare to dream. When the machine starts smoking, it means you are on the right path and should keep going.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Grimoire is a modern game. Why would you want to build a vintage pc for it?
But if you insist - just buy ThinkPad x200 or t400 (I hope 2008 is vintage enough for you zoomers) and install Arch Linux on them. Don't forget to Libreboot it.
Grimoire works fine with Wine:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Old Kiwi

Educated

What do you think?
I think an 80386 is way beyond retro. I do have a couple of K6 / P-II era PCs, though. Can you afford the shipping cost to get it / them delivered? I wanted to play Betrayal at Krondor or something that old, but never got the urge after those two oldies were ready. I probably have my notes somewhere with what the parts cost me . . .

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The Old Kiwi It's fine I have one lying around
i386-komplet-racunar-sa-monitorem-GARANCIJA-_slika_O_91887173.jpg
Its just a matter of making it work

JDR13

Arcane

What do you think?

I think you should quit smoking before it's too late. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom