Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Burial Stone, the first Codex approved VR RPG.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I shared your game in the dungeon crawler discord and someone who had a VR setup tried it out. Here some feedback, not positive but maybe its of use to you

It's clunky, cumbersome and doesn't play well in my opinion. None of the elements of VR are utilized in any meaningful or engaging way. Using items is a slog, reloading the game makes it appear to unequip your weapon and shield (even though it doesn't). Combat isn't fun because the rng can rightly screw you over. Most enemies aren't all that different mechanically with two exceptions. The credits needed a skip button or overall to be shorter. The actual levels needed background noise, or something.

Using the torch to light your way would've been nice if it meant something. As it stands, it's a slightly dynamic light source that the character could've just emanated

One achievement seems bugged. And the skill ones are unnecessary. You can just start a new game and unlock two, restart and unlock another two and boom. You've gotten them all in an instant.

The credits needed a skip button or overall to be shorter.

:what:

Did the credits include all of his workout pictures he has been spamming in the Codex Member Pictures thread lately?
Jello

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Everyone, an exclusive secret test of how BS might look without VR. What do you think?
I think the ray is really not needed in this case TBH.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Yeah I just had to sign into my own headset again lol. They really need to kill that dependency.

Anyways it plays fine so far. No complaints there. You do move awfully fast though. I felt like I was speeding through the hallways. Looks good too. Maybe could have the option to physically swing to perform a hit on top of just pressing a button? Just a suggestion, not really a big thing.

I hope bosses are massive. I mean, why not, right? Could create some cool atmosphere that way. Get dropped underwater and have to fight some leviathan or something on a timer. Just throwing ideas out there.

Sidequests and NPCs are always fun too.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Yea, the game is not too long, this is an engine basis. Game can be finished in one or two hours.
But it still have different weapons, items, spells, classes, attributes.
You can play it through in several playing styles.

So this is a good a basis for a bigger game with much more content and stuff to do.

I am really glad you liked it. I think a lot of people liked it, and that's proof that this is a good concept.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Burial Stone Demo now can be launched as Non VR
Please try it out and tell me what you think.

Also, full game is paid now... 15 bucks.
I might need to add more levels to more justify the price.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1910360/Burial_Stone/

ShopKeeper.jpg

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I need your help.
I might port the game to XBOX soon.

In order to port to XBOX, I need support for gamepad.
I can use the right and left thumbsticks to walk, rotate and strafe.
Then I also have the dpad, which could be used to move around menus and slots.

How do you suggest to make this playable with a gamepad?
Do I make enemies/any slot on the screen, just taveresed with the dpad. Without pressing anything else?
Or do I need to focus on one window, or only on enemies.
How do you suggest to implement an RPG control scheme with a gamepad only?

GamepadUI.jpg

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Currently not working on ToG, instead, working on expanding Burial Stone.
Here is a Proc Gen level WIP:

1660998520757.png

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Working on Proc Gen Maze.
This time... putting monsters.
So basically I give every tile "danger rate".
For instance, tiles after a deeper locked area will have higher danger rate.
Those are signified by colors, the color scheme is this:

1661275443314.png

Where non colored tile has danger 0, and monsters cannot be put in it.
Weaker monsters have lower danger rate, while stronger monsters have larger danger rate.
So every time you place a monster, it "erodes" the danger rate around it of the tiles.
But areas with higher sum tiles danger rate, have higher chances to have monsters in them.

I feel like there are flaws of this method.
For instance, a large, lower danger area(room) can have higher chances for monsters. This might make sense, but also not.
Or a small room with high danger rate, will have not as much chances to have a monster. Because of few tiles.

So should I average the danger rate of each room? But how do I take into account room size?

Anyway, I hope you understand my method, and maybe you can suggest how to distribute monsters.

1661275385521.png

Attachments

• 1661275412321.png
    1661275412321.png
    192 bytes · Views: 44

RPK

Scholar
you could always say "if this room consists of only Low Danger tiles, only x number of tiles even have a chance of generating a monster". that way you're only getting n number of bites at the apple, no matter how big your room is. You'd have to keep track of how many tiles each room has at that point, but that seems fairly trivial - a dictionary of room/tile key-values pairs.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
Verticality would help. Put some stuff up high and some spaces where you can look down. Makes culling a challenge sometimes but it's where VR can shine. Amid Evil does verticality really well, for level reference.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Don't you guys have phones?
How am I suppose to price this though?
Nobody buys a game for 15 USD on a phone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom