Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Butthurt Dungeon: Thac0's Ultimate Blobber List

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now that I think about it, what about including Wibarm, under Solo?

It's an old Jap game published by Broderbund back in the mid 80s. Navigation in the overworld is side-scrolling, which transitions to 3rd-person over the shoulder in dungeons, and back to side-scrolling with verticality on a fixed field for combat.

It was my formative experience with this genre, bastardized as it was.

MobyGames Page.

297-wibarm-dos-screenshot-title-screen-2.gif
302-wibarm-dos-screenshot-inside-a-building.gif
301-wibarm-dos-screenshot-a-skirmish-on-the-outside.gif
298-wibarm-dos-screenshot-patrolling-the-area.gif

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

PapaPetro

Are there any roguelike blobbers? Like where my @ sign represents a party and a D could be a group of dragons?

Casual Hero

Augur
Are there any roguelike blobbers? Like where my @ sign represents a party and a D could be a group of dragons?

Closest you're going to get is probably the DOS port of Oubliette; it has a top down text interface, but it isn't a roguelike by any means. It still has random encounters.
oubliette_2.gif

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The Android port of Oubliette is pretty great too. Lots of interesting features in that one. You guys should check it out sometime. :)

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

The Dungeon of Dragon Knight guy is working on one, I also saw another one on the frontpage of codex once which had very pretty graphics. Not too optimistic about either tho, randomly generated levels are poison for blobbers.
The closest atm is Star Crawlers, which uses a mission based structure. Couldn't stand that game, randomly generated maps and grindy and slow shield based combat.
There are also a few games which incorporate rogue like elements without going full rogue, like Labyrinth of Galleria.
I do not know about a blobber with roguelike elements and an ASCII interface tho.

It's an old Jap game published by Broderbund back in the mid 80s. Navigation in the overworld is side-scrolling, which transitions to 3rd-person over the shoulder in dungeons, and back to side-scrolling with verticality on a fixed field for combat.

MobyGames Page.

I like the idea, but this seems REALLY far removed from the blobber experience. Action combat, and sidescrolling levels?
Thats fucking weird. I couldn't find any maps for the game, so you would have to link me some cool dungeon maps from that game or find more people praising it to make me add it.

PapaPetro

I do not know about a blobber with roguelike elements and an ASCII interface tho.
This would be the dream for me and I can visualize mechanically how it would be; with each party member acting as an organ, having their own HP and class abilities, but with unified single turns. So all your characters could melee in unison, or your fighter could melee, while you priest heals and your wizard casts a spell, and your thief attempts to backstab.
Wizrogue: Labyrinth of Wizardry was kinda close to the mark, but would like to see it in ASCII and with more traditional Angband design aesthetics.

3WoegrU.mp4

Arthandas

Liturgist
I need something turn based (other than Wizardry) with any kind of permadeath/ironman mode, any suggestions? Does Ukruul have permadeath?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I need something turn based (other than Wizardry) with any kind of permadeath/ironman mode, any suggestions? Does Ukruul have permadeath?
Dark Heart of Uukrul even auto-saves when a character dies. You can get them resurrected if you return to town fast enough, but if you take too long you have to recruit a replacement.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Dark Heart of Uukrul even auto-saves when a character dies. You can get them resurrected if you return to town fast enough, but if you take too long you have to recruit a replacement.
Awesome, can resurrection fail like in Wiz?
:updatedmytxt:
Darkest Dungeon, Battletech
Wrong neighborhood nigga

Butter

Arcane
Patron
From the manual:

DEAD: the character will be carried by the others in the party. A dead character can only be resurrected at the Mausoleum, but the chance of resurrection succeeding declines as the corpse ages. A special corpse bar, replacing the hit bar, shows this state.
Mausoleum of the White Order: will try to raise dead characters, or lay them to rest if they are beyond resurrection. If one of your characters dies, his Soul Amulet will be passed on to the Guild, where another character can take it, and bond with your party to continue in the stead of the departed one.

Guilde: has characters keen to join your party. A suitable member from the Guild will be able to take the Soul Amulet of any character who could not be resurrected. You can drop in here at any time to meet some of the Guild members, and perhaps catch up on the latest gossip.
Death of a Character

Often, your objectives can best be served by avoiding dangerous conflicts, applying discretion and caution; but no matter how careful you are, inevitably the enemy will claim a life. When this happens, make your first priority a quick return to the Mausoleum. The Soul Amulet will capture his soul, but it cannot hold a soul forever. As the body decays, the chance of restoring life fades.

If the High Priest can transfer the soul back into the dead body, the character will be alive, but greatly weakened. Such resurrection costs much, and demands a great toll on the character's vitality and experience.

If too much time has passed, the souls has become too weak to revive the flesh. The Priests at the Mausoleum will pass the Soul Amulet to the Guild, where volunteers will gladly bind their destiny to that of your party. You can meet suitable Guild members, and choose an appropriate successor. You must select a new character of the same class as the departed one, to enable to the Amulets to function. All the effects and belongings of the lost character will be passed on to the successor you choose.

Should misfortune strike, and your whole party lie slain in the depths of Eriosthé, you had better hope that you have a friend...

Jason Liang

Arcane
Wrong neighborhood nigga
Darkest Dungeon is pretty much structured like Wizardry
Sengoku Rance's battles are also a Wizardry derivative.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
In other words the minute a character dies in Urkel you alt-f4 that shit.
Which is why the game auto-saves when a character dies. You'd have to restore your backup save, which could mean a lot of lost progress.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

MobyGames Page.

Never knew about this game. Guess I'll look into it since there is a dos version.

This, assuming you mean the non-Microprose RPG, can be bought here. The Microprose RPG is probably on Steam and the Internet Archive.
Knightmare and Crystal Dragon can be found on Lemon Amiga. If you don't already have an Amiga emulator you can find already setup ones on the internet. Knightmare has an Atari ST version, which is loads easier but probably inferior.

I had no idea this was in my library, thanks for the reminder.

The Android port of Oubliette is pretty great too. Lots of interesting features in that one. You guys should check it out sometime. :)
Any ios link?

hmmmm....

That title music...

blip bloop blip blip bloop blip blip bloop blip bloop bloop blu blu blu bluh bluuuuu

blip bloop blip blip bloop blip blip bloop blip bloop bloop blu blu blu bluh bluuuuu

Bring on the dance moves
VPKpvOQ.gif

Ok... the other must sound better..

Can't find any Sharp MZ-80B/2000/2500 vids or downloads.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
In other words the minute a character dies in Urkel you alt-f4 that shit.
Why would you, though?

Wrong neighborhood nigga
Darkest Dungeon is pretty much structured like Wizardry
Sengoku Rance's battles are also a Wizardry derivative.
Your brain is structured like Oblivion.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Which is why the game auto-saves when a character dies. You'd have to restore your backup save, which could mean a lot of lost progress.

I don't remember what I was doing when I was playing it, but I had a system. :positive:

EDIT: Although I don't remember dying very often. My guys did pretty good. I wish I'd finished the damn game.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

MobyGames Page.

Never knew about this game. Guess I'll look into it since there is a dos version.
Funny you should quote this and my own post, because I actually played this a bit yesterday. Its awful, at least starting out. The game is definitely one of those weird-ass Japanese computer action RPGs. You know the kind if you've ever played one. It seems like the game expects you to grind out enemies in order to get enough stat points to deal damage to the stronger enemies, but each time an encounter respawns, it gets stronger. So I've gotten to a point where all the enemies on the overworld are immune to any damage I can deal to them, while all the interior (the fancy 3D sections you see) all seem to be too strong for me. I'll probably give it a bit more time to see if it gets better, but so far it isn't looking good.

mondblut

Arcane

Progress lost when you have to replay a small portion of a game is a progress that will be recovered.

Progress lost when a developed character gets wiped is a progress lost forever.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

MobyGames Page.

Funny you should quote this and my own post, because I actually played this a bit yesterday. Its awful, at least starting out. The game is definitely one of those weird-ass Japanese computer action RPGs. You know the kind if you've ever played one. It seems like the game expects you to grind out enemies in order to get enough stat points to deal damage to the stronger enemies, but each time an encounter respawns, it gets stronger. So I've gotten to a point where all the enemies on the overworld are immune to any damage I can deal to them, while all the interior (the fancy 3D sections you see) all seem to be too strong for me. I'll probably give it a bit more time to see if it gets better, but so far it isn't looking good.

TLDR if that loop is annoying you it won't get better unfortunately.

Your points are all fair. You do grind, but not in the traditional manner; as you said, defeated enemies respawn with higher health 1-2 times before being gone forever. So you basically have to make at least half a dozen trips through the overworld and the dungeons of each map, killing most weaker spawns to allow you to move onto stronger spawns. Damage calculations appear to factor most heavily in this order: comparison between your Ability and the enemy's max HP > Weapon type (certain weapons have an outsized effect against certain monster types) > Weapon strength. Ability vs HP is very difficult to circumvent (if not outright impossible most of the time), hence the world wandering to find spawns with low enough HP to kill. But weapon type and strength are a little more fuzzy. It's possible to kill monster weak to a Wave weapon with your Maxi Beam, for instance. It just takes a lot longer.

Indoor monsters never respawn. So the gameplay loop is basically: kill smaller monsters in the overworld > kill the first set of indoor monsters > killer stronger monsters in the overworld > kill the next set of indoor monsters > repeat until the map is clear. One final enormous point against the game is that, as far as I can tell, you need to kill absolutely every single monster in the game in order to be able to do more than 2-5 damage to the final boss. Very upsetting if you happen to miss a spawn and have no clue where it is (this made me quit my last playthrough a couple years back).

Jason Liang

Arcane
I would bet it's related to The Guardian Legend

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom