Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

C H O R V S

lightbane

Arcane
Not only it is Windows 10 and occupies way too much, it's still unfinished crap according to one review that seems believable:

Major complaints:

- The AOE, oh, the AOE damage effect. I refuse to believe that the developers played their game and thought. "yes, this is fine." It not only distorts your screen so intensely that you can barely see what you are doing, it also makes your vision nearly black and white - when all damage telegraphs, your charge beam visual que and enemy hit zones are colour coded. I CAN'T understand how this gets trough playtesting. This single screen effect got me killed collectively about 25 times on the same 2 occasions where you Can. Not. See. what you are supposed to to.

-The objective markers are very small, fade out (??) and appear only 5-10 seconds after a conversation has ended you so just idle in space not knowing where you have to fly next until it appears.

- Difficulty spikes MASSIVELY with me having to switch difficulty to medium on the first big boss due to there seemingly not being enough time to burst him down until his global DOT kills you. Feels like it was not playtested.

- Same can be said against normal enemies where some that are clearly introduced as hard enemies can be killed within 1-2 seconds flat with your powers, while the normal, base enemy fighter, remains dangerous into lategame. Others feel like crazy bullet sponges.

- Capital ships are so laughably easy to kill that a fight gets considerably easier if one spawns in.

- The charge attack is what kills you 80% of the time, since the timing window for dodge is small and the visual que is very, very bad. If you fly up the camera blocks most of the visual que as well. Great design.

- Starting with midgame, nearly 50% of enemy ships have said broken charge beam attack. There is also another enemy that has an attack that uses the same visual effect for its attack minus the visual que, making you spend your dodge sometimes just to be killed by the real charge beam.

- A lot of the fights that randomly spike in difficulty that you fail over and over again, you suddenly win even though you did not change your tactics whatsoever, leaving you with the feeling that its just RNG if you get charge beam attacked in a bad moment and die due to that. Some even being over in 2 minutes when before you spent double that and half the enemies where still alive when you died.

- It's normal that your allies do nothing in games, but in this game the trope is pushed to the max with your enemies ignoring them 100% of the time except on certain "protect" missions and you killing 100% of enemy ships. There is also almost no radio chatter so you even "feel" alone even in big fights.

- Ship upgrade system is there just so the game can say it has one.

- 90% of side missions feel like heavy runtime padding.

Also supposedly no barrel roll maneuver, in a spaceship action game.

J1M

Arcane
The intro cinematic for this game is a textbook example of what not to do. Dozens of new words mentioned but not explained, way too long, shares too much, and then after wasting 3 minutes of your life there's a time skip of several years when you get to control the character.

Stella Brando

Arcane
How do I pronounce this? Like 'chores' but with a V in it?
thinking.png

Does the V sound like a normal 'Vee'? Or is it like Henry V, where you have to say 'Henry the Fifth'? Is it 'Chor the Fifth Vs?'

Is that last vs pronounced 'vee es,' or is it more like 'Batman vs Superman?' Is this game title 'Chor Versus?'

The people have a right to know!

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
Youtuber Hi, Mars! made a nice and funny review of Chorus in Russian. He called it a terrible clone of Freelancer(2003) with better graphics and worse everything - space combat, plot, writing, game design. Strong, independent and ugly woman is fighting a patriarchy. The guy also has a great review and guides of Pathfinder WOTR.

Last edited:

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried the demo, It was entertaining as long as I don't pay attention to the cringey dialogue during that fugly's moments of empowerment.

Disliked the power where you just push a button to automatically get behind your foe as long as you get in contact with the trail that those leave behind. I still prefer freelancer with dogfighting tactics without magic crap.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I watched a guy playing it for a bit and it mostly looked cool, but the chick kept whispering to herself and it was driving me out of my mind. Who thinks that's a good gimmick anyway? Just like that inane Senua game - just a chick walking around talking to herself with the occasional terrible fight.

Norfleet

Constantly talking to yourself is generally regarded as a sign of being crazypants. As far as presenting plot exposition goes, I prefer wry British narrators over crazypants protagonists.

mediocrepoet

Patron
a terrible clone of Freelancer(2003) with better graphics and worse everything
so worse than dipping your scrotum in a pool of piranhas.

No. No... hell no. Look, if you think that a game is comparable to that, you need to play fewer games and spend more time with other people or outside or something. Go meet a girl. Man alive.

J1M

Arcane
thinking.png

Does the V sound like a normal 'Vee'? Or is it like Henry V, where you have to say 'Henry the Fifth'? Is it 'Chor the Fifth Vs?'

Is that last vs pronounced 'vee es,' or is it more like 'Batman vs Superman?' Is this game title 'Chor Versus?'

It's an older glyph for the letter U.

"Chorus" -> "Kor-us"

The part of a song that repeats.

mediocrepoet

Patron
thinking.png

It's an older glyph for the letter U.

"Chorus" -> "Kor-us"

The part of a song that repeats.

It's like "chores" except with a v sound in it. Chorvs -> Chorves -> chohrvs / chawrvs
It's an ancient Latin word meaning "woman who talks to herself a lot".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom