Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Cthulu...AKA that other Bethesda game

wendigo said:
Section8 said:
Maybe it's more tolerable on a TV screen across the room, but watching it up close on my monitor makes me feel like I'm about to have a seizure at any moment, despite no history of epilepsy. Very disappointing, glad I didn't buy it. :?

...so you're already playing the PC version? Considering that it ships today, that's quite a trick.
RPGCodex cares nothing for piracy. So shut the fuck up.

wendigo

Novice
undead dolphin hacker said:
RPGCodex cares nothing for piracy. So shut the fuck up.

Can't say I have a problem with it either. It would seem that a good many codexers are touchy as hell about it, though.

I'm a little suprised that the PC port has become BT-avail so quickly, tho. Guess I was trying to tease out a little more info on that. Maybe when Headfirst went belly-up some dev or another leaked the thing?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
wendigo said:
Section8 said:
Maybe it's more tolerable on a TV screen across the room, but watching it up close on my monitor makes me feel like I'm about to have a seizure at any moment, despite no history of epilepsy. Very disappointing, glad I didn't buy it. :?

...so you're already playing the PC version? Considering that it ships today, that's quite a trick.
Erm.. Dude. The PC versions been out in Australia for a whlie now. I picked it up myself from the store a week ago. Hell, it was even half the price of a standard new PC game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If the developers aren't getting a cent out of it, then it's not piracy.

wendigo

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
Erm.. Dude. The PC versions been out in Australia for a whlie now. I picked it up myself from the store a week ago. Hell, it was even half the price of a standard new PC game.

Ahh, you got the same release date as Europe... lucky bastards. Half-price is probably about right for this game, though I'll admit to having quite a bit o' fun with the Xbox version. Being a huge HPL dork probably helped, too.

There is something of a mid-game hump/slump to this title, but the huge final level really made it up for me. It came much closer to catching the Cthuloid "feel" than most of the goddawful Lovecraft-based movies have, anyway... and since it's not actually a Bethesda game, there are only like 13 or 14 game-breaking bugs in the whole thing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wendigo said:
DarkUnderlord said:

Ahh, you got the same release date as Europe... lucky bastards. Half-price is probably about right for this game, though I'll admit to having quite a bit o' fun with the Xbox version. Being a huge HPL dork probably helped, too.

There is something of a mid-game hump/slump to this title, but the huge final level really made it up for me. It came much closer to catching the Cthuloid "feel" than most of the goddawful Lovecraft-based movies have, anyway... and since it's not actually a Bethesda game, there are only like 13 or 14 game-breaking bugs in the whole thing.

There is an hour-long, fan-made Call of Cthulhu movie that is EXTREMELY faithful to the man's works, and the original story. It's in black and white and mostly silent. I downloaded it off eMule and LOVED it, as I do most of Lovecraft's work.

IMDB Information

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I'm finding it fun so far, if a little railed. Visually the world looks quit nice. There seems to be a certain artistic style which realy gives it that old feeling. So far I'm enjoying it but my complaints are that the game is a little too linear. It's not too hard to figure out where to go next as it's usually the only door that's open. Most doors are closed with the character saying "It won't budge" when you try to open it. Just being able to walk into another room and look around and look at an irrelevant photo or something would be nice. For example, having just been in a house and meeting a 10 year old girl, there was only one other door to open. It just would'v been nice if I could open any of the other 4 doors in the house. Even just to look at their bathroom or something.

Story-wise it's impressive. Bethesda should definitely hire them to write the story for their next Elder Scrolls game (HAHA DEAD MAN JOKE GEDDIT?). My only other complaints are dark corners. It'd be nice just to grab a candle once in a while but overall it's not too bad.

Finally, save games. You can only save when you find a certain symbol in the game world and "use it". Unfortunately, they're used sparingly and last night after getting so far, I wanted to go to bed and ended up having to do a whole section again just because I didn't get to the next save point. What's worse is that this morning it crashed on me (entirely my fault, the game doesn't like alt-tabbing) and I had to do the same bit a third time. Given the linearity of the game so far, I really don't see any reason why I can't save wherever I want, so that I can pick up from there again next time I play.

It's enjoyable though and for half the price of a new title, seems pretty good so far. Though I did think the same thing about Half-Life 2 this early into that too... Time will tell though.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
AAAARRRGGHHH!!!! THIS GAME IS FUCKING FRUSTRATING!

Not because it's hard or difficult or you don't know what to do but because the controls are so sluggish and the whole thing is wired so you have no breathing space. That'd be fine, if I didn't keep getting stuck in doors or opening a door instead of sliding across the bolt like was my intention...

Here's my problem. I'm up to the "Villagers attack you" bit. It's okay, I've been expecting it for the most of the game now (I'm only 20% in). Thing is, you have no weapon. Not even fists and you're getting gangbanged by a bunch of guys that pop-up right in your face with shotguns.

The whole scene starts off with me in bed. Thanks to my psychic powers, I know the townsfolk are coming for me. So I wake-up with them blasting at my door with their shotguns. I run through from my hotel room into the one next door. Now I have to close the adjoining door and bolt it. Problem is, the minute you run through the ajoining door, the villagers break down your door (no matter how fast you do it). So you have 0.013 seconds to close the door in their face and then slip the bolt across the top which holds them off for at least another 0.028 seconds.

Thing is, one of two things happen. I either close the door too quickly when I'm inadvertently still in the doorway or I open the door when I'm atually trying to slide the bolt across to lock it. Thing is when you get stuck in the doorway, the door, as a moving object, just pushes me along. Right back into the room I'm supposed to have escaped from. Great.

Now I can't reload my previous save game because the last chance you get to save is a whole bit before this. So rather than do a whole bunch of crap again, I have to wait until the townsfolk kill me so that I get the chance to "continue". That lets me begin at just that section from the moment I wake up with them at the door. Yay.

I try again. This time I manage to get through and out of the doors way and close the door. Now I have to bolt it in 0.005 seconds before the townsfolk (who have just miraculously mamnaged to break down my rooms door the minute I slipped into the adjoining room) come at me. Problem is, there's no way to know if you're looking at the bolt on the door or at the door. So guess what happens? You press the action key while looking at the bolt only to have the door... OPEN! Wait to die. Continue.

I get through the door. YES! I get the bolt in. Now I have to push a bookcase out of the way to get into the next adjoining room (Great hotel huh, every room is adjoining). Of course, pushing the bookcase along is a painfully long experience but that's okay, it adds to the drama. Only the minute I open this door, I not only have to go through, close it and bolt it like the other door but I also then have to VERY QUCKLY run to the door that leads onto the passageway and bolt that too.

So far I have:
  • Gotten through the door only to close it with me in the way. Again. I get pushed back into the room I was meant to be escaping and, like before, the minute that door is opened, the townsfolk miraculously break down the other doors they're hammering at. Die. Continue.
  • Get stuck in the door in some kind of clipping / graphical error. Die. Continue.
  • Get through and close the door only to open it again when I try to slide the bolt across. Die. Continue.
  • Get through that door and bolt it, only to be 0.001 seconds too slow bolting the other door in the room. Die. Continue.
... but, I got through that stage with a bit of luck and ran through yet another adjoining door into a third room across. This door too has to be closed and bolted and this door too, is just as much a problem to do so as with the previous 3 doors. Opening it instead of bolting it seems to be a favourite, followed closely by getting in the doors way and being pushed into my attackers.

However, in this third room are two bookcases. One has to be pushed in front of the passageway door, as the bolt on that door is broken. The other reveals a window which you can open where upon you jump onto the roof and into the other side of the building.

From there, you're now running blind around a building (as you have no idea which way you should head) only to encounter townsfolk with shotguns RIGHT IN YOUR FACE. I thought they were back trying to get into my hotel room? Anyway, you have to run passed them AS THEY SHOOT YOU, WITH THEIR SHOTGUNS. Only to turn a corner and find MORE OF THEM.

Thankfully your character seems to be capabale of surviving at least a few dozen blasts so running past them and even back past them, as you realise you went too far, is some-what possible. After that, you get our onto the roof where again, you encounter a villager who just happened to ever so quickly get IN YOUR FACE again. Go the wrong way. Die. Continue.

The problem is not that this isn't fun. The whole concept of the chase is great. However, it's piss-poor game design on several levels:
  • Firstly, there's no option to save before the entire sequence starts. Even now, I'm sick of doing it 37 times (no really, I've counted) and I want to quit. But I can't. Because if I do, I have to reload from my last save and do a whole previous section again. Not fun.
  • Secondly, there's no breathing time. Even if I run like the wind and deftly bolt the doors, the villagers always break through the minute you get into the next room. There's no reward for being quick and it's unfair, as it means I have to be a 12 year old KEYBOARD NINJA just to get through.
  • Thirdly, the fact that you do it so many times menas you're just begging for a weapon. ANY WEAPON. Just the chance of knocking a guy over and buying some time so you can bolt a door or fend him off as he stands in your face with his shotgun. Hell, using my fists would be fine.
  • Fourthly, I'm losing not because I don't know what to do or that I'm incapable of doing it. The problem lies within the game's controls and the precision with which you have to do it. Getting stuck in doors because of a glich is not fun. Having a door open on you when CLEARLY, you were going after the bolt is just damned annoying.
I've gotten to the point now where I'm wondering if I even want to continue. The story is quite compelling but if this is the kind of shitty gameplay I'm up against for the rest of the game, forget it.

wendigo

Novice
I had a feeling we'd be seeing a post like that sooner or later, heh. It's a shame that the worst/hardest part of the game is also the *first* action sequence you encounter.

If you're wondering whether or not to continue based on this botched section, I can't blame you. It's too bad they didn't clean it up for the PC version.

I'd like to reassure you that it's a fluke, though. There is nothing else in the game at all like this part (well, one rail sequence, but it's much better done) so don't let this particular glaring flaw color your impression of the game entire. It's a bad, bad spot, but it's an orphan.

The thing to keep in mind is that you have *lots* of time in which to escape once you know what you're doing. It originally took me about a dozen tries to get by...then the other night I was showing the ambush part to some friends & it amazed me how leisurely I breezed through it. I had to wait a bit at times to keep the illusion of danger up.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I SURVIVED! OH GOD I SURVIVED!

Yeah, after doing it 50 odd times, it wasn't too hard to calmly walk through, flip door shut, walk back closer towards door and slip bolt through. It also helps doing a few dozen dry test runs just locking and unlocking the bolt and opening and closing the door before the whole shenanigans start. Once I had that mastered, getting through the bedrooms was a breeze and after just one more bit of difficulty finding the ladder, all was well.

I'm now in the sewer, following a little girl. I have to say, after the pure frustration that was that part, I'm really quite happy that I made it through and so far since, the game has not disappointed with it's share of horrors. I even heard the character talking to himself as he started going over the deep end. Atmospherically, it's great stuff. Fuck pretty graphics for immersion. THAT'S immersion.

Still can't wait to get my hands on a weapon though. Definitely looking forward to getting in some payback.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I've finished it. I don't know whether I absolutely despise this piece of shit masquerading as a game or love this fantastic work of art to death. There is no inbetween. I don't know what the deal is with the light levels but I shouldn't have to ramp my brightness up into 100% territory just to see into the dark places so that I know where I'm going. I'm starting to get sick of "story-driven" FPS' too. "Deep story" just seems to be an excuse for "It has a plot but umm.. it's got aliens and it doesn't make any sense!!". "Nonsensical alien crud" != "story". I shouldn't have to read an FAQ or developer logs to understand what the hell it was all about.

That said, I did enjoy what was there. The insanity effects too. Often I just kept screaming at the monitor (no, really) saying "For fuck's sake, it's just a fucking dead corpse, GET OVER IT ALREADY" but the swimming effect was "fun" to experience, despite the annoyance it caused as you're trying to shoot a bunch of fish monsters. The flash-backs to the asylum were particularly fun. The smooth transition worked well and it was nice to wander around in those (albeit slowly and not for very long).

The puzzles were fun and the only place I got caught was in getting out of the Order of Dagon building. I didn't figure out the combination and didn't realise the correlation between the symbols and the broken plaque. However, there was a second spot I had to reach for the FAQ. That was the ending and it's mainly for that that I lean more towards hating the game. I completely missed the fact that I'd picked up a magical electricity weapon. I didn't even realise I had it. I kept wandering around the level going "What the fuck do I have to find to get past the starfish this time?" only to check an FAQ and go "What?".

It's there that the whole experience just fell apart for me. Beyond that, I don't understand why ringing a gong so loudly that I get an incredibly annoying ringing sound in my speakers and then standing in a pool for 30 seconds should gain me control of a fish-dog monster. I didn't understand what the hell that was all about. I had to check the FAQ to even know that that's what I was supposed to do. It simply wasn't intuitive enough and is something which should've been explained in some book in the game somewhere as far as I'm concerned.

I enjoyed the firearms. A little annoying you find all the weapons only to lose them at least three times in the game but it's been a while since I've played a game where shooting the shotgun was nothing but pure satisfaction. The lack of an aiming crosshair adds to that "effect" too, as does the reload times (which I'd like to have seen slowed right down to "reality level", with a reduction in monsters to compensate). After the linear design of the early levels, the factory and later levels were a nice change of pace. Some of them were quite well designed I felt.

I think I can sum it up by quoting a review "There is so much to like here, and yet there is so much to outright hate." All in all, I think most of the sheer frustration in the game would've been avoided if you were simply allowed to save anywhere you wanted, without having to find a save point. I see no need, in a linear game where the story is drip-fed to you, to force the player into only saving at certain points. Then again, things like that stupidly timed rockfall at the end would need to be tweaked to fit that (and so they should, damnit).

Anyway, I'm definitely going to give it another run through and see if it'll let me give that dead rat to the damn prisoner this time...

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
I'm starting to get sick of "story-driven" FPS' too. "Deep story" just seems to be an excuse for "It has a plot but umm.. it's got aliens and it doesn't make any sense!!". "Nonsensical alien crud" != "story". I shouldn't have to read an FAQ or developer logs to understand what the hell it was all about.
get The Dunwich Horror amd Others it has H.P. Lovecrafts original Call of Cthulhu, read it
then read The Outsider, then The Shadow Out of Time, and The Shadow over Innsmouth.

in fact i can send you Via PM the stories i just mentioned

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Played it. The game is horrible. Only way I could see anyone enjoy it, is if they are in love with the books/author (even then though you should be smart enough to see right through this medicore game).

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
hey it isnt half bad, although they should have just made a game based on The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Rulion

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
I SURVIVED! OH GOD I SURVIVED!

Yeah, after doing it 50 odd times, it wasn't too hard to calmly walk through, flip door shut, walk back closer towards door and slip bolt through. It also helps doing a few dozen dry test runs just locking and unlocking the bolt and opening and closing the door before the whole shenanigans start. Once I had that mastered, getting through the bedrooms was a breeze and after just one more bit of difficulty finding the ladder, all was well.
God, that scene made me freak out. After I finally bolted the doors properly, I let myself get peppered with gunshot and had to reload. I felt almost as bad as my character.

Not to derail, but anyone do that Hackdirt quest in Oblivion? They talk about "Deep Ones" bringing prosperity into their town. They also hate strangers in their town. I thought it was neat.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
What do you mean?

After the first five minutes my ears were bleeding with the horrible voice of the main character. The actual story elements of the game play out really dumb as well. I take an assignment because the person on the phone was pushy about it (stupid)? I end up in a town and the police and people hate me (Hmmm I wonder if there is something sneaky going on around in town). Give me a break. The game requires you to trek back and forth between the same boring empty places just so you can catch a new scripted sequence. There are a million doors and all of them are closed or there is no one home (stupid)?

I spent 30 minutes on a mission for a bottle of beer just so some low-poly, bad voice acting drunk can give me information? I should have stopped playing right there.

Why the game sucks

*weak story
*weak voice acting
*weak level design
*not scary
*will probably end up in some alien environment
*For an FPS with nothing unique about it (the only reason I include graphics in the sucking) , the graphics are on par with first generation Quake 3 engine games.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
The story's not too bad and is certainly better than some of that other FPS shit you get. Though it could've been explained in some ways a bit better and if you're not into that "u r teh alien wiht amnesia" stuff, then it won't work on you.

I quite liked the voice acting. I agree some of the story points make little sense though. Like even at the very start of the game in the shoot-out with the cult. I go into a building of bad guys shooting at me while I'm unarmed? Give me a break.

I liked the graphics too. It's an artistic style they've gone for which pays off quite well through-out the game.

I agree on the "it won't budge" doors though. It'd have been nice for just a few of them to open, if they were onto empty rooms.

As an FPS, I quite liked the slow reloading times too and the satisfactory impact of the weapons was a nice change from the pissy weapons in Half-Life 2. There is no crosshair though, so I can understand how a lot of FPS' gamers would be freaked out by that. Personally I think it adds a nice twist to never being too sure quite where your shot will end up.

Overall the game is frustrating as hell though. Far too dark in places (even with full gamma brightness). If you could save anywhere you wanted, it'd solve 99% of the frustration problems too.

Dogsoup

Scholar
HP Lovecraft's an outstanding writer. As good as Poe's "Arthur Gordon Pym". I'm still wallowing through the game though; for now, I don't like it very much (never did like the stealth based games) but then I didn't finish it.

glasnost

Augur
aweigh said:
There is an hour-long, fan-made Call of Cthulhu movie that is EXTREMELY faithful to the man's works, and the original story. It's in black and white and mostly silent. I downloaded it off eMule and LOVED it, as I do most of Lovecraft's work.

IMDB Information
I just saw this last week, and it is really good, actually. Is that a first for lovecraft movies?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Being good, you mean? Possibly. Also, if you want to check out a good Lovecraft-inspired game I understand Eternal Darkness pretty much did everything right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom