Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Vapid

Learned
Rhuantavan, from what I've seen and heard so far in videos and screenshots, music samples and the interviews you've given, I can honestly say that your idea of what constitutes a good cRPG in terms of feel, aesthetics, gameplay and scope mirrors my own almost to the letter. In fact, Call of Saregnar is the only game I am hyped for at the moment (frankly, I haven't been hyped for anything for the last ten years or so). I just want to leave you a good word or two hoping that it helps you maintain solid levels of motivation.

BTW, since I don't care much for patreon, I sent you a couple of bucks via PayPal some time ago (under a different nickname) and I'm planning to send you some more (nothing fancy, mind you). Do you keep track of those donations?

Last edited:

Vapid

Learned
OK, Rhuantavan, so I've just finished the demo. Here are some of my thoughts:
- love the graphics; don't change a thing (well, maybe the combat screen could use some tweaking - the angle / perspective is a bit odd);
- it's great you've implemented UI scaling - the default one is too small for my liking, I used the setting in the middle (was it x2?) and it was just perfect;
- the amount of text is just right - I think you've hit the sweet spot between being terse and turgid. New rpgs tend to be too verbose (Pillars of Eternity, anyone?) which, combined with hackneyed writing, make me lose interest in the game before I even start adventuring. In case of Saregnar it was very close to what we had in Krondor. I did notice some swearing, which I didn't mind too much (especially that it wasn't anything drastic), but I think this kind of game could benefit from the language leaning towards, I don't know, Tolkien or Eddings rather than, say, Martin (like "soil your pants" rather than "shit your pants", something like that). It's just my personal opinion, nothing more, though.

Now, after having played the demo, I wish someone remade Betrayal at Krondor in Saregnar's engine. That would be sweet.

One more thing: are you planning to include any snowy / winter-themed areas? I would love to see them in CoS. BaK had those, so did many (most?) other cRPGs. Not that you have to ape ideas from other games, but, you know... Fun things are fun. :)

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Thank you for playing Vapid, and thanks for the kind words! I only wanted to comment on the swearing in CoS. I think I'll keep it on a medieval level, that is, nothing too heavy, but also not watered down too much. I never liked swearing in games, but certain situations simply need it, so I won't shy from them if the need arises. Besides, the word shit was pretty common in medieval times. ;)

I also love snowy landscapes, but that's something I cannot budget in in CoS, so it will be something reserved for the sequel.

P.S. I also hope someone steps up and modernises the BaK engine, but the likelihood of that happening is close to zero IMO. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
BaK should definitely get the Daggerfall Unity treatment. Well, at least modernize it to have mouselook and modern resolutions and stuff.

The only thing necessary are a good combat system, KotC-like and revamped traps.
It certainly doesn't need the Realms of Arcania HD Unity treatment.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I was about to make fun of yet another streamer but after watching 1 minute of it, i can't, the guy looks so nice.

A shame there's a giant mouse fucking his arse while he's recording the video though.

mkultra

Augur
I was about to make fun of yet another streamer but after watching 1 minute of it, i can't, the guy looks so nice.

A shame there's a giant mouse fucking his arse while he's recording the video though.

uh.. are you referring to the blob fish? are you mainly watching game streams to find nice looking guys? then we know. great.. have fun with that.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bros!

I see I failed to keep you informed about two things:

First, the entire CoS team was happy to join Ep. 88 of the In The Keep Podcast a while ago, which is a pretty informative and entertaining listen: https://inthekeep.com/in-the-keep-podcast-88-damjan-tony-ben-call-of-saregnar/

Second, we got a costume contest going if anyone desires to become an NPC in the game. Here is the lowdown: https://inthekeep.com/call-of-saregnar-costume-contest/

Thank you for your attention!
:bro:
You almost gave me a heart attack. I thought it was going to say that you joined Epic.
:shredder:

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Is there a deadline to the contest, or is it more like "oh, it's fine if you can do it sometime in the next half a year, it's not like we're about to finish the game that quickly"?

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Is there a deadline to the contest, or is it more like "oh, it's fine if you can do it sometime in the next half a year, it's not like we're about to finish the game that quickly"?
Absolutely no pressure. If you look the part, and you can take a suitable photo in good lighting, you're in.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Absolutely no pressure. If you look the part, and you can take a suitable photo in good lighting, you're in.

I'll need to scrounge up some quasi-medieval clothes from somewhere, then. It would be an absolute hoot to have my visage grace a spiritual heir to BoK...

Narushima

Cipher
It rather feels like he's always posting the same three screenshots.
I like them, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to get excited at each [cobbled road with greenery and half-timbered houses].

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Well that's understandable. I don't want to share too much at this point. Here's a fresh one just for you Narushima

0XFmJyf.png

Robber Baron

Savant
Well that's understandable. I don't want to share too much at this point. Here's a fresh one just for you Narushima

0XFmJyf.png

I almost wanted to comment on how it would've been cool to use M&M6-8 style prerenders for characters
So let me comment on the quality of the armor instead
Pretty fucking great looking armor
The actor fits the image too, although the haircut is not very medieval

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom