Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I won't judge an author's vision but the more you deviate from your original direction the more things clash together
Unless there's a new direction
just thoughts
It’s more like that I have finally found that sweet spot I was searching for all these years. I may yet tweak things here and there, but I am mostly working on missing systems, refining existing ones and working on content now. The art direction is close to where I want it to end up.

Robber Baron

Savant
It’s more like that I have finally found that sweet spot I was searching for all these years. I may yet tweak things here and there, but I am mostly working on missing systems, refining existing ones and working on content now. The art direction is close to where I want it to end up.

It's just that with advent of AI texture generation leaving billboard object pipeline behind seems strange when you can save so much time creating content now
3d pipeline also quadruples time spent on creating assets

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
It's just that with advent of AI texture generation leaving billboard object pipeline behind seems strange when you can save so much time creating content now
3d pipeline also quadruples time spent on creating assets
Well, if the end result is not the game I wanted to make, it doesn't matter if billboards speed up development or not. I might even argue that fewer 3D objects are needed to achieve the same variety I'd get with billboards. Rotate, scale, switch texture, combine. 3D assets are great for that.
Also, AI is not touching this game's assets in any way. Ever.

Robber Baron

Savant
Well, if the end result is not the game I wanted to make, it doesn't matter if billboards speed up development or not. I might even argue that fewer 3D objects are needed to achieve the same variety I'd get with billboards. Rotate, scale, switch texture, combine. 3D assets are great for that.
Also, AI is not touching this game's assets in any way. Ever.
Can't argue with that
Best of luck with the project :salute:

notpl

Arbiter
I think the 3d trees look great. I adore chunky primitive 3d, especially if it enhances gameplay (like the advantages you mentioned) compared to using sprites.

Thank you for your reply. I see your point and understand the decision from a creative perspetive but alas I do miss the
stronger retro look very much. Yet I do hope this wonderful game isn't going the same road as Skald, losing piece of piece of it's retro look.
With billboard actors I can only push the gfx so far ;)

Btw, I don’t mind SKALD’s art direction at all. It’s still a properly old-school looking game.
Would it be possible to offer a "retro" mode to play without the more modern lighting effects? I guess not but I still like to ask.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Thank you for your reply. I see your point and understand the decision from a creative perspetive but alas I do miss the
stronger retro look very much. Yet I do hope this wonderful game isn't going the same road as Skald, losing piece of piece of it's retro look.
With billboard actors I can only push the gfx so far ;)

Btw, I don’t mind SKALD’s art direction at all. It’s still a properly old-school looking game.
Would it be possible to offer a "retro" mode to play without the more modern lighting effects? I guess not but I still like to ask.
Everything is possible with enough time spent tweaking things. I have already implemented various settings for the gfx, but I am keeping them locked out until I figure what the game needs.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I really like the idea of having 3D objects, because it opens a sea of possibilities to make exploring the scenes more fun. Games like Deus Ex, Thief and Morrowind did this and it is a fantastic, very immersive experience that only adds to the gameplay.

Retro feel is important, because it can take a player back in time to the early 90's. 3D trees/stuff/lightning/ ruin that magic. If I was such a pursit I would be mad!
Writing that, I like those changes. Games made in the 70-80-90's where limited by technology and those new additions look good to me and make the game feel more real.
I can't write that about SKALD. What happened to it is pure disaster.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Yes, I too feel like the game lost some of the retro aspect graphics wise when looking at the new screenshots, it's less BaK-like now. Still, the 3D looks ok too and allows for more graphical variety, just please don't take it too far.

Also I see there's a minimap now, I really hope that can be turned off. I competes with the player's attention and makes traveling into more of a "follow the minimap" game instead of actually navigating around the world. You could make a point that BaK also had a map, but you had to open it separately to glance at it to get a better idea of your surroundings. I feel like minimaps are a bit of a detriment as the minimap is always there so you end up following it rather than looking around yourself more.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Yes, I too feel like the game lost some of the retro aspect graphics wise when looking at the new screenshots, it's less BaK-like now. Still, the 3D looks ok too and allows for more graphical variety, just please don't take it too far.

Also I see there's a minimap now, I really hope that can be turned off. I competes with the player's attention and makes traveling into more of a "follow the minimap" game instead of actually navigating around the world. You could make a point that BaK also had a map, but you had to open it separately to glance at it to get a better idea of your surroundings. I feel like minimaps are a bit of a detriment as the minimap is always there so you end of following it rather than looking around yourself more.
I know what you mean. I will probably have it off by default. There is a bak-like local map too. Basically a larger version of a mini map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom