Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Yes, I primarily use photos/frames of members of a local medieval reenactment group. Getting old people if tough, but I am certainly looking to get ahold of them as I will eventually *need* a number of them in any case.

I have lordly, long, greying hair (mid-40s but early greyness), and I'd love to send pics, but I can't really get any costumes. You're Croatian, right? If you guys have a surfeit of costumes, I might be willing to travel down there from Hungary for a shoot and some sightseeing once the Covid madness is over.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
As you are using actual photos of people, what about character "diversity", the demo chars are all on the younger side of things.

Yes, I primarily use photos/frames of members of a local medieval reenactment group. Getting old people if tough, but I am certainly looking to get ahold of them as I will eventually *need* a number of them in any case.

You can also look for street-credible faces from the local homeless community.
Great source of diverse voice casting too. bonus: pay them in catfood.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
As you are using actual photos of people, what about character "diversity", the demo chars are all on the younger side of things.

You can also look for street-credible faces from the local homeless community.
Great source of diverse voice casting too. bonus: pay them in catfood.
His sacrifice for BaK-likes will be remembered. :salute:

Berengar

Learned
This game looks hotter than a $2 pistol. Gonna try to hold out until full release but like others have said that demo is calling to me.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I have lordly, long, greying hair (mid-40s but early greyness), and I'd love to send pics, but I can't really get any costumes. You're Croatian, right? If you guys have a surfeit of costumes, I might be willing to travel down there from Hungary for a shoot and some sightseeing once the Covid madness is over.

Slovenian actually, which makes me even closer to you. You’ll be welcome ;)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Just ask a fellow game developer who shipped at least one game, hopefully at least one troubled project. They're likely to have more gray hair than your grandpa despite being younger than you. ;)
He should ask Neil to make a cameo. He could play any role.

from cowboy,
xeDMv1S.jpg

to boat captain,
0QoNw3Y.jpg

to Gandalf the artsy
Fe0iHEj.jpg

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just ask a fellow game developer who shipped at least one game, hopefully at least one troubled project. They're likely to have more gray hair than your grandpa despite being younger than you. ;)
He should ask Neil to make a cameo. He could play any role.

from cowboy,
xeDMv1S.jpg

to boat captain,
0QoNw3Y.jpg

to Gandalf the artsy
Fe0iHEj.jpg
Might as well tag him and see if he bites. nealiios

garren

Arcane
Patron
Ran around the updated demo area a little, I like the new inspections you can do to various objects, though after a few tries you've circled through all the responses. Maybe once you've exhausted all the possible replies, the cursor could change color to something like gray to show that these objects have no new replies left (unless they actually contain something new/hidden)? Also I've started to think that the game world itself could use a bit more visual flair, as I've ran through the same area a few times now, and it's all the same trees and rocks and hills mostly. Adding a few more visually unique plants or landscape features to different spots could spice up exploration.

I also found a bug, you can use the bushes sometimes to boost yourself in the air by walking towards them, one bush near the end of the demo area near the ruins does this and a few others outside the playable area. I was able to get past the demo area, had to see how far the map continues :).

RhdDaos.png

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Ran around the updated demo area a little, I like the new inspections you can do to various objects, though after a few tries you've circled through all the responses. Maybe once you've exhausted all the possible replies, the cursor could change color to something like gray to show that these objects have no new replies left (unless they actually contain something new/hidden)? Also I've started to think that the game world itself could use a bit more visual flair, as I've ran through the same area a few times now, and it's all the same trees and rocks and hills mostly. Adding a few more visually unique plants or landscape features to different spots could spice up exploration.

I also found a bug, you can use the bushes sometimes to boost yourself in the air by walking towards them, one bush near the end of the demo area near the ruins does this and a few others outside the playable area. I was able to get past the demo area, had to see how far the map continues :).

RhdDaos.png
Explorer achievement unlocked.

I definitely want to spice up the world with new assets (terrain tiles for varied terrain, more bushes, more trees, etc.), but all in due time. These things take time, which I don't quite have.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I'd like add a few more notes about the world building so far. I've said it before, but more open areas would be a boon, though of course the game right now is only a small pre-release area. Still, a more open gameplay area could potentially mask the samey looking assets (so far ;)), as you can choose your direction to travel where it seems interesting to go at. With the demo area being basically a long strip with a few side paths, the running around can become boring quite fast, especially when doing the herb quest, as it's just running back and forth along the long road. A few sections could easily be cut from the roadway, they almost feel like padding that prolong the running, with the path being just a road with hills on both sides so nothing interesting to look at or do except run along to get to the next section. The best areas were the more wide sections or pathways to the side, because there's stuff to do and look around and explore. I really think it would be for the best to avoid doing those simple long pathways without any other choice where to run, at least when it's the only available path, unless you plan to use those to your advantage somehow (great ambush places).

Other than that, nice fixes all around, I also like that moving around is more free in this patch, I finally get to enter those fenced areas :lol:. For bugs, I found a sack with an item in it in the village, but it showed a black box instead of the item graphic, and some placeholder text, and I couldn't loot it, also the X to close the window didn't work. One of the manure descriptions has a typo in it. Some rocks you can walk straight through like they aren't there, but some rocks have collision.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Although I'm not a huge fan of BoK, I'm excited about this. Not too keen about the return of the wordlocks, but okay... I really like the atmosphere and the 3D view actually looks great, not too high-def, just enough grit and character (unlike the mid-80s flat-shaded flight simulator view of BoK). The music is top-notch too!

But what I'm really hoping for is that we'll be able to play through the whole game with the *same* set of characters, from start to finish. None of that character swapping nonsense per chapter I hope? (yes, yes, I get the "story reasons"... but I don't care, I never liked that kind of stuff, except maybe in a few adventure games)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom