Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Call of Saregnar gameplay video

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Call of Saregnar; In The Keep

An extended gameplay video showcasing the coziness of Call of Saregnar was released yesterday.

Blanket up and watch it below.

There's no release date yet but it looks like it's shaping up nicely.

bandersnatch

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
My goodness this looks great! This and SKALD are the 2 games I'm most looking forward to!!
Yes, CoS has always looked fabulous.

SKALD looks like he has completely vanished from the DEX and also his discord for months since his (3rd?) demo. Not a good sign? Guess it's true what they say about how some of these devs abandon the useful idiots after they get a publisher. Publishers aren't dumb though, even woke AF ones like Raw Fury. I'm sure Anders is learning that he can't just make shit up like he could with useful idiots by now.

Oh shit... didn't see this tweet,

Some more government cheese for SKALD?

Looks like Anders went back to the government again for another handouts for SKALD. I don't know what that means, but probably his publisher is done writing checks for the game. No doubt his one year work sabbatical is over by now (they have those in Norway). He doesn't look happy at all in those pictures. Why doesn't he doesn't just ship the 3 hour game now before his wife comes down hard on him. :lol: Why spend another 1-2 years to get it closer to 10 hours? It's still a one-dayer RPG either way. Devs need to get smarter with their time and money.

:negative:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like it, I wish the 3D part of Betrayal at Krondor looked 20% this good!

What is weird though is that some parts of BaK are copied 1:1, e.g. the chest riddles, the magic screen (the circle with the geometric patterns), etc. I get it that you want to create a "spiritual successor", but this is a blatant rip-off... it's hard to see it any other way.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and the fact that games like these are still made, and I will surely play it. But couldn't you copy BaK in a similar way to how Eye of the Beholder copied Dungeon Master, for instance? They haven't 1:1 copied DM's systems, but they've added some twists here and there of their own.

So, my only constructive criticism would be to try to move things away from the "plagiarism" end towards the "spiritual successor" / "inspired by" end.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My goodness this looks great! This and SKALD are the 2 games I'm most looking forward to!!
Yes, CoS has always looked fabulous.

SKALD looks like he has completely vanished from the DEX and also his discord for months since his (3rd?) demo. Not a good sign? Guess it's true what they say about how some of these devs abandon the useful idiots after they get a publisher. Publishers aren't dumb though, even woke AF ones like Raw Fury. I'm sure Anders is learning that he can't just make shit up like he could with useful idiots by now.

Oh shit... didn't see this tweet,

Some more government cheese for SKALD?

Looks like Anders went back to the government again for another handouts for SKALD. I don't know what that means, but probably his publisher is done writing checks for the game. No doubt his one year work sabbatical is over by now (they have those in Norway). He doesn't look happy at all in those pictures. Why doesn't he doesn't just ship the 3 hour game now before his wife comes down hard on him. :lol: Why spend another 1-2 years to get it closer to 10 hours? It's still a one-dayer RPG either way. Devs need to get smarter with their time and money.

:negative:
Maybe try to create something of value yourself instead of edgy shitposting? That's the easiest, bro.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I like it, I wish the 3D part of Betrayal at Krondor looked 20% this good!

What is weird though is that some parts of BaK are copied 1:1, e.g. the chest riddles, the magic screen (the circle with the geometric patterns), etc. I get it that you want to create a "spiritual successor", but this is a blatant rip-off... it's hard to see it any other way.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and the fact that games like these are still made, and I will surely play it. But couldn't you copy BaK in a similar way to how Eye of the Beholder copied Dungeon Master, for instance? They haven't 1:1 copied DM's systems, but they've added some twists here and there of their own.

So, my only constructive criticism would be to try to move things away from the "plagiarism" end towards the "spiritual successor" / "inspired by" end.
First of all, thank you!

I am not going to fix stuff that BaK has perfected already, but as development moves along, I am noticing things and correcting them along the way. One of those things is combat. It started as 1:1 BaK, but now it has evolved.
The spellcasting system is quite different from BaK, as you need to progress from knowing the god first (gaining their favor), only then you can cast spells associated with that god. As for the UI, I totally love what I am calling "The wheel of echs" (echs being the words of power that compose the spell), even if I have been heavily inspired there, I admit it. I am thinking of improving that side too, as picking the spell power is very unintuitive now.

Riddles chests, though, well, those are just perfect, so I am not going to touch those in any way. Get over it. ;)

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The spellcasting system is quite different from BaK, as you need to progress from knowing the god first (gaining their favor), only then you can cast spells associated with that god. As for the UI, I totally love what I am calling "The wheel of echs" (echs being the words of power that compose the spell), even if I have been heavily inspired there, I admit it. I am thinking of improving that side too, as picking the spell power is very unintuitive now.
Okay, that's good to hear. I haven't actually played the demo, so these were only my superficial impressions based on screenshots and the video. That's great that the spell system is different then.

Hopefully, the riddle chests will be easier than in BaK because I'm shit at word-based puzzles... analytical/symbolic puzzles I can solve all day, but words are hard, man! Yeah, I know you won't change it :)

All in all, looking forward to the game. I noticed it's only on Steam yet, have you tried contacting GOG? Personally, I'm trying to stay away from Steam as much as possible, and although I'll pay for this game, realistically I'll need to download the cracked version too for "archival" (I hate DRM, don't trust it either...)

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Okay, that's good to hear. I haven't actually played the demo, so these were only my superficial impressions based on screenshots and the video. That's great that the spell system is different then.

Hopefully, the riddle chests will be easier than in BaK because I'm shit at word-based puzzles... analytical/symbolic puzzles I can solve all day, but words are hard, man! Yeah, I know you won't change it :)

All in all, looking forward to the game. I noticed it's only on Steam yet, have you tried contacting GOG? Personally, I'm trying to stay away from Steam as much as possible, and although I'll pay for this game, realistically I'll need to download the cracked version too for "archival" (I hate DRM, don't trust it either...)
I have noticed that with riddles, you either get it or not, depending on the riddle. Some players found certain riddles easy, while others found the same riddle hard. Not much one can do here.

GOG is very interested in getting the game on their store, so that should be no problem. I much prefer GOG myself over Steam. GOG doesn't do demos AFAIK, though.

aleph

Arcane
Still no release date. So is this like all the other indie rpgs like Skald, Archealund, Realms Beyond etc? A news post, some screenshot and maybe even a demo every couple of months/years but never an actual release.

Honestly, why should anyone still get excited for that when there will be no actual release in the foreseeable future?

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Still no release date. So is this like all the other indie rpgs like Skald, Archealund, Realms Beyond etc? A news post, some screenshot and maybe even a demo every couple of months/years but never an actual release.
Would you prefer no updates at all?

Honestly, why should anyone still get excited for that when there will be no actual release in the foreseeable future?
Very simple, don't get excited then. However, I am, and I'm enjoying these updates. If it gets done in the next 5 years, I'm happy. Well, I guess I'll be happy if it gets done *any* time in the future while I'm still alive.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most indies suck at communication as they prefer doing actual development over talking about it.
Most indies also suck at project management and planning.

This is known, though. It's silly to get super excited about indie releases unless the release is actually palpably near.
Just, you know, follow with interest until things actually seem to be wrapping up.

aleph

Arcane
I am long done with getting personally excited. Nowadays I treat indie games as Vaporware until proven otherwise.

I just wonder why some people hold indie developer to such low standards that overly long waits for an actual release are so accepted.

Btw, you can wait for the game but spend money on it right now: https://www.patreon.com/CallOfSaregnar

Skorpion

Educated
Looks fun, will see how it is on release but color me interested

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom