Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Campfire Cabal is a new RPG studio led by Expeditions series creative director Jonas Wæver

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Campfire Cabal; Jonas Wæver; THQ Nordic

As you may recall, Expeditions developer Logic Artists was disbanded following the release of Expeditions: Rome, with most of its staff joining a new blockchain gaming company. However, there remained some hope for the future of the series, which was left in the hands of publisher THQ Nordic and whose esteemed creative director Jonas Wæver had not joined his colleagues on their disreputable venture. I doubt Rome was very commercially successful, but today we learned that THQ Nordic apparently liked it enough to form a new RPG studio in Copenhagen under Jonas' leadership. The studio is called Campfire Cabal and it will focus on "high-quality, narrative-driven RPGs". According to their Twitter account's description, these RPGs will also be turn-based. Here's the official announcement, which includes a thematically appropriate teaser video featuring a few characters from Rome.

Copenhagen, Denmark / Vienna, Austria, September 13, 2022 –THQ Nordic has set sail on a new expedition to Denmark with the formation of a new development studio called Campfire Cabal! The studio was formed by industry veterans who worked on titles such as the highly acclaimed Expeditions: Rome, the Hitman-series, and Hunt: Showdown. Campfire Cabal will focus on high-quality, narrative-driven RPGs and is currently working on a project that has yet to be publicly disclosed.

Check out the intro teaser for Campfire Cabal: https://youtu.be/heTIhlF0mFc

Campfire Cabal will be an independent development studio under THQ Nordic and will be led by its management team and Creative Director, Jonas Wæver.​

Good news. I wouldn't bet on this actually being an Expeditions game, but I suppose you never know.

Barbarian

Arcane
Good news, I enjoyed the series.

It doesn't get the recognition it deserves here, btw. You will be hard pressed to find better tb rpg games released in the last 10 years.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Here's hoping this will end better than Logic Artists. Becoming a blockchain gaming company truly is a fate worse than death.

Codex Year of the Donut
still confused as to who convinced all the developers that blockchain was the future of gaming

imagine throwing your company away for a meme that didn't even last a year

Fargus

Arcane
It's all cool but what happened to the blockchain sellouts? Did they make billions with their scam? Fucking cunts with gold rush mentality. :lol:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Wtf is blockchain gaming

I imagine something like this

b73e029102112c92c6cdef7f8d3b88bf.jpg

RunningWolf

Learned
The most boring and bare-bones TRPG and the most historically inaccurate "historical" games under reverse Midas touch THQ Nordic. Marriage made in heaven.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wtf is blockchain gaming
It is where you play the game and you earn rewards in form of their version of bitcoins. You also buy their version of bitcoin with real money to buy stuff ingame. They raise the value of their version of bitcoin that way, get some fools to invest and then sell their shares and run away with the money.

Conquistador was interesting, Viking was great, Rome was ... meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom